Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steering too light especially when driving faster

Hi
    i would like to know if there is a solution for my steering being too light. When I’m driving on a highway or freeway I’m having to really concentrate. The Fortuner doesn’t want to sit solid and cruise. I towed a caravan over the weekend and the problem was exacerbated. It’s a 2015 Crusade
    Tim

the power steering is actually designed to be heavier at speed , it gives less assistance the faster you go. Is it possible that you have too much weight over the back wheels and the van is not level?
    2016 GX , in White

Comment

Hi 2016 GX
      I’m pretty sure that’s not the problem. We had no luggage in the car. I’ve also taken the the 3rd row of seats out and the van and car sit very straight. The Fortuner has been lifted at the back about an inch or two which helps it sit nice and straight but would not help overall road performance I imagine. I can’t really gauge if the steering is heavier when driving faster. It could well be. I was reading electric power steering can be adjusted and I’m wondering if this applies to the Fortuner.

Comment

Fortuner steering is still hydraulic so i dont think its adjustable. All you could do is try driving another one to see if its inherent to the model. Personally ive not noticed any issue when towing our 1800kg van using WDHs
        2016 GX , in White

Comment

As a start, check tyre pressures and get a wheel alignment from someone who will do a proper alignment and not just toe and go.

Comment

Thanks for that
            Perhaps that would make the difference
            I hope so
            I should mention I have all terrain tyres also
            I will definitely try that
            The car is new to me and I was a bit unsure with this aspect
            Its the first 4wd I’ve had. I thought perhaps it’s normal

Comment

Hi there Spook1205
              Would you believe the alignment was out but 11mm which is a fair difference. It drives loads better. Feels more solid on the road Thanks for that. The tyres are almost new. I can’t believe they weren’t aligned properly.

Comment

• Spook1205
                Spook1205 commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey Tim, great to hear a problem was identified and fixed.
            Working...
            X