Fuel Gauge Reading

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel Gauge Reading

Has anyone noticed the fuel gauge seems to read wrong? On a recent trip I took note of where the fuel gauge needle sat & the fuel I filled up the tank with. If the tank was three-quarters full & I topped it up, it should have taken about 20 litres of diesel, but only took 15 litres or less. But if I used more than half a tank, then filling it up seemed to be more accurate. EG, if I used over half a tank, the fill up was about 40 litres, if I used closer to three-quarters of a tank, the fill up was 50-60 litres. Seems the more fuel used once the needle is at half a tank or more, the more accurate the needle seems to read. Comments/thoughts would be appreciated.

Many cars have fuel guages that dont show correctly. As long as it shows full when its full and empty when its empty (or still with 20L in it like these cars do) then its all good. Best thing is to use the trip meter and know how many k's you get to a tank.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony Leondis View Post
      Has anyone noticed the fuel gauge seems to read wrong? On a recent trip I took note of where the fuel gauge needle sat & the fuel I filled up the tank with. If the tank was three-quarters full & I topped it up, it should have taken about 20 litres of diesel, but only took 15 litres or less. But if I used more than half a tank, then filling it up seemed to be more accurate. EG, if I used over half a tank, the fill up was about 40 litres, if I used closer to three-quarters of a tank, the fill up was 50-60 litres. Seems the more fuel used once the needle is at half a tank or more, the more accurate the needle seems to read. Comments/thoughts would be appreciated.
      There are other posts about this topic on the forum.
      i have the same issues as you and found that I could drive for a further 150 km once the fuel warning light comes on.

i have pushed this thing for a few days with the needle below empty and I am yet to run out of fuel.
      You will work out when you need to fill up the more you drive your car.

;-)

Ralf..

Comment

I've found mine is shit, when it's got the fuel light on and reading E it's got around 17-20 L left in the tank if it truly holds 80L.

Comment

• mrh460
          mrh460 commented
          Editing a comment
          So you want the fuel light to come on when the tank is empty?

The manual states that the light comes on when there's around 12 litres left. I think it's more like 15, which gives you plenty of range to find fuel.

• Caleb HGT
          Caleb HGT commented
          Editing a comment
          Hahaha not quite. I get there needs to be a safety margin. but when I have a fuel light come on then it only take 61L to fill it until diesel is coming out the top, I think that's a bit excessive.

• mrh460
          mrh460 commented
          Editing a comment
          My light came on yesterday, and I filled up straight away. It took 65L.

If your light is coming on with 19L remaining, I can understand your concern.

I think the excessive safety margin is there because of the DFP regen. If you have ~15L left and the light comes on and the ECU thinks its a good time to do a regen, that 15L won't get you far.

Comment

Just wondering if the confusion is due to the fact that the tank itself is 80L, but as you fill up diesel foams up, meaning you get less in there before the filler "clicks". Try using BP ultimate and see if the capacity seems to line up better. It's still going to have foam at that top of the tank after a fill, but might not be as bad.. might operate as a 75L tank or something.

Comment

Hey all. Due to the 80l tank & going from Sydney thru Sth Oz up to Darwin & back, I was real careful to put in as much as the tank would take, including any fuel 'foaming' to settle. Found that when the needle was showing half a tank used, it only took about 20-25 lts to fill it. According to the fuel needle, it should have taken 40 lts to fill a half tank. It also seemed that if the needle showed 3/4 of a tank used, then the fill up was around the 50-60 lts mark. So the more empty the tank, the more accurate the fill up was to coincide with the needle reading???

Had the car serviced at Berri (Sth Oz) on the way home & mentioned it to the service staff. They hadn't been made aware of the needle reading problem, but were aware of the fuel warning light coming on & the distance to empty.

Comment

Sometimes when you fuel up and your car is slightly inclined due to the concrete or ground that it's on, an airlock sometimes can happen preventing fuel to fully fill the tank. It happened to me everytime I fill up at a catlex station that is slightly inclined and doesn't happen when I fuel up at the Petro Canada. It was bewildering at first but became hilarious when I realized what was causing it.

When your fuel light comes on, there is about 13 liters left in the tank. That'll give you 150-160 kms range, but probably not a good idea to introduce air into your fuel system. There will be a Brown Davis main tank that will replace the 80 liters to bring it up to about 145 liters. So our range will be extended hopefully.

Comment

Would the weight of a full tank in a Brown Davis 145L tank be detrimental to the fuel economy?

Comment

For the first time, I've not filled the car til the warning light came on. Distance to empty was 44 kms, & the needle was on the E. Drove a bit more & filled up when distance to empty showed 31 kms. It took 63.46 lts of diesel to fill it, meaning there should have been 16½ lts still in the tank. That said, I'd rather the light come on with more diesel left in the tank than less.

As an aside.... has anyone;
                  1. asked Toyota if the tank is 80 lts, as opposed to 70 lts? It'd be easy to hit 8 on a keyboard & not the 7, (& the error not picked up when the owner's manual is printed)

2. or, had their fuel gauge re-set/repaired by Toyota

From what I've read so far on the Tuners & Luxes, its either the fuel gauge is faulty, or it's not an 80 lt fuel tank.

Comment

There's a write up in today's Daily Telegraph's (Sydney) motoring section re the distance to empty problem for Mazda.

A guy with a Mazda CX-5 diesel has the same issue re distance to empty. The Telegraph's motoring bloke sent the question to Mazda. In short, Mazda said... The capacity of the tank from empty is 58lt. Distance to empty is calculated on the remaining fuel & your average fuel use. A margin for safety is built into this calculation.

No mention in the article from Mazda on a fix for this problem.

Comment

The problem that I have is when the gauge shows full ,ready for the start of a long drive ,the needle falls very quickly to the three quarter mark. I can virtually watch it move. At last service I raised this but they came back and just said it's all working. Other than this I can guess from the gauge how much fuel will get back to full.

Comment

The Fortuner's Fuel Gauge is not accurate. The computer display is far more inaccurate. So I turned them all off including the ECO mode. I went back to the old grandpa system where you fill up when the fuel light is on and calculate kms done againts liters consumed. Usually 63-64 liters to full tank. I drive 320 kms a day for work commitments. My fortuner GX Auto has done 75,000 kms and it is just 10 months old. So I can pretty much concluded that the GX Auto with high mileage does 13 kms to the liter. That is 90% highway and 10% Sydney CBD traffic. This is real time driving, DPF Burns, Stop and Go, freeway sprints combined.

I calculated that the most accurate (in my case) mileage is 7.69 liters/100 kms. Which is not too bad at all. I wish there will be a 145 replacement tank instead of the paltry 80 liter tank.

Forget the ECO MODE. You will actually use more fuel as the car is so sluggish that you actually have to press the accelerator pedal harder and longer. Use the NORMAL MODE for any driving condition, it is the most fuel saving mode. The POWER MODE is there when you need to make a point to a 2017 Prado diesel that you can out accelerate them.

Comment

• gbrought
                          gbrought commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yep, I can confirm this is basically what I get with a GX manual. I do a weekly Sydney-Canberra-Sydney trip for work and clocked just over 30,000kms in 18 months. A full tank for me is in the same vicinity of 63-65 litres (from a "zero" range) and that is usually about 800kms between fills (about 8.2 litres / 100kms). I cruise at just above the posted speed limits. This is with the standard OEM road tyres.

I stopped using ECO mode for the same reasons. NORMAL is by far the most economical.

When I have my Mud Terrains on (before or after a trip) I get 50-80kms less than 800kms - partially due to bigger rolling circumference (265/65/17s) and partially due to increased rolling resistance.

If was going by the readings on the fuel gauge, I get about 500-550kms for the top half of the tank and only 200-250 kms for the bottom half

I have the GX Auto with 21,000KM. I Did a long drive down to Margaret River after my DPF was replaced on Thursday, managed to do over 180KM's before the needle even started falling from above the Full tank symbol, admittedly I did fill it right to the brim e.g. sitting the filling stalk. still only managed 711 km's maximum range. and average economy was 8.8L/100KM

Comment

Hi guys, new to the forum. I picked up my GXL Auto last month. Prior to last fill the low fuel light came on. Needle was very close to reading empty but not quite there. I drove 12 ks before refueling and put 68lts in. I'm pretty happy with that. Maybe a more accurate sensor/guage is now being installed. Other difference in my model is the placement of the diff lock and traction control buttons which are now placed near the center console on the driver side of the shift.

Comment

Working...
                          X