Factory rear diff lock

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Factory rear diff lock

hi guys so i have been doing a little bit of reading on diff lockers. One thing i found quite interesting for example is how the harrop e locker engages. It actually requires your wheel to turn approximately half a rotation before it actually engages where as air lockers are instant. I was just wondering if anyone knows about our factory rear diff lock if it requires the same?

When you enable the diff lock it engages pretty much immediately. Hence why you only engage them when off-road. These part time ones that detect wheel slippage are designed to be able to work on road and off road and engage automatically. I had one of these on a suzuki once and it was pretty good off-road, but it would also engage when doing tight turns in car parks which was very annoying.

Comment

The Harrop e locker isn’t part time it’s just activated electronically but the locker inside the diff has to turn and rotate out from a pin which requires approximately half a wheel rotation to do before your diff is actually locked. I’m wondering if our factory diff lock is the same because it’s also electronic?

Comment

Mate if everything is loose and lined up you can stop your vehicle, and engage, 4H then 4L, then diff lock. You can then reverse this process and unlock all of them. No movement of the wheels is necessary. They all just slot into place. Don't know if that helps any.

Comment

The Harrop locker has a different engaging mechanism to what we have.
          basically we have a sleeve which when engaged will lock one side gear to the differential case by splines, operated by a fork and actuator.

Comment

+1 as Spook said. our factory lockers have engagement switches activated by those sleeves which will bring up the dash lights only once all systems are happy. makes the system more foolproof.
            2016 GX , in White

Comment

so if we were to get stuck somewhere and we engage our rear diff lock we won't have to move at all for it to actually engage? As in once the light on the dash comes on we won't have to move before it really is locked?

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nYZo--7Xh4&t=49s

this video here is what I'm relating to. It makes me want to go for the ARB air locker for the front and i was just wondering because our factory rear locker is electronic if it would activate like the harrop

Comment

• Spook1205
                  Spook1205 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  It activates nothing like the Harrop mate. Just some splines need to line up as white one said. You are probably looking at a few degrees of rotation at most.
                  We have a true locker in the diff and is a good unit.

My mate has tricked his wiring so will engage in two wheel drive on his FJ cruiser and something else which will hold the stability control from kicking back in at certain speeds. I might get the wiring diagram off him and have a look at it more. Seeing I am 1500 kms from warranty expiring would be a good mod.

Originally posted by borgna View Post
                so if we were to get stuck somewhere and we engage our rear diff lock we won't have to move at all for it to actually engage? As in once the light on the dash comes on we won't have to move before it really is locked?
                you may have to move a little bit , just till the splines engage. but it wont be a half turn or anything . its usually best to engage a locker before you need it rather than when its too late. locked wheels and some momentum will get you through many situations. Its a judgement call based on the conditions
                2016 GX , in White

Comment

I'd be keen on 2WD engagement of our locker as well Luke. I had it on my old car when i used to reverse the boat up a steep curved driveway. I think i know how to do the mod but am not keen to try it unless someone else does it first !!
                  2016 GX , in White

Comment

• Spook1205
                    Spook1205 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Send me the wiring diagram, I’ll talk to my mate about it cause he just worked it out himself. He is a smart guy and I am proud to say one of my old students from many years ago.

• Spook1205
                    Spook1205 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I’ll do it on mine first then let you know results

These seem rather expensive options -

http://www.budscustoms.com.au/locker...0-fortuna-revo

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F132515211151
                  2015 GX auto / Genuine steel bull bar, snorkel and tow package / Ultimate suspension / Rhino sliders / BFG KO2s / ORS drawers ...

Comment

• White One
                    White One commented
                    Editing a comment
                    they are very expensive boxes containing a pair of relays and not much else. They dont even connect to the Canbus as claimed.

• blatchi
                    blatchi commented
                    Editing a comment
                    wow $500 is way over priced for what that actually is

If the rear locker is engaged and you press the dash switch to disengage it, is it possible for the locker to remain stuck in the engaged position after the dash light goes out. I have often not been able to get it to disengage when I push the dash button as the light won't go out. I have then just switched off the ignition to make the dash light go out and disengage it. So is there any way the locker can be locked in when the dash light is out please?

Comment

• blatchi
                    blatchi commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I would assume the light was set up on a pressure switch on the actual diff lock meaning it cant turn off if its not engaged same with how the 4wd light is set up

• Spook1205
                    Spook1205 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    It may still be in till you take the load of the driveline?

The handbook says if the locker won't unlock, which I guess means the light going out, to switch off the ignition to cut the power to it and unlock it. I have done this a few times but was never sure if the thing was actually unlocked. Sounds like it probably is unlocked if the light goes out, or will go out shortly after when the load comes off it. Correct?? Same with the 4wd light as well apparently. Had wondered about the 4wd lock though. You can hear the ADD engage and disengage, but not the transfer case if it does lock and unlock there. I thought the transfer case was a solid always locked front and rear connection, but occasionally w hen it should be unlocked I get a strange crunch , like gears being forced apart from the transfer case. Assumed it was the 4H dropping out late.
                  Cheers

Comment

My thoughts are the same as yours with lights and engagement/ disengagement.

As for the transfer case when engaging 4H it will drive front and rear equally. So the crunch very much would be 4H dropping out late I think.

all the components that lock diffs and drivelines up have a lot of force tension in them under load so unless load is taken off it seems hard to imagine the thing unlocking easily.

Comment

The Anytime Locker price has dropped to $450 plus postage. I was tossing up on a front locker myself but after discussion with the developer the combination of the rear locker and the traction control being so good on the front that a front locker is not really required.
                      The factory setup with traction control being turned off when the rear locker is selected is stupid!
                      Testing it soon.

Comment

Working...
                      X