ARB air compressor installation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARB air compressor installation

Hi guys i have just purchased an ARB air compressor and i will be installing the switch underneath the drivers side cup holder in one of the three blank switch panels. I'm just looking at the diagram and there is one wire i need to tap to ignition and one wire i need to tap into dash illumination. On the wiring loom from the isolation switch the two wires that need to go to ignition and dash illumination are about 40cm long. Im just wondering where is the best place to put them from behind the dash?

also the ARB switch is a carling rocker switch which seems a bit bigger then the cutout when i take the blank switch space out. Has anyone installed a carling rocker switch in here and does it fit ok after some trimming?

Comment

re. switch, you would be better off buying the correct size one and using that instead:

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/12V-Push...0AAOSws5BaWAZ7

For illumination, its easiest to steal from the back of one of the existing buttons, i think its the blue wire?
      For ignition, you can just steal from the back of the existing cig socket, though thats really acc, not ign. Or you can get ign from the passengers side fuse box beside the glovebox (details in another thread if you search, let me know if you cant find it).

Dave

Comment

I looked at them style of switches on eBay and thought it would be a good idea. I read that they are a 3 amp switch so you must use a relay on it. Do you know what relay off eBay I would need?

Comment

I am not an auto-electrician but..

That just means you can't directly switch a load greater than 3A.
          The ARB compressor uses much more than 3A, so the harness in the ARB kit already includes a relay, you are just switching that relay. In other words directly swapping the ARB rocker switch for the Ebay one is fine.

Dave

Comment

ok thanks for that dave

Comment

Hey guys I bought the switch that save suggested above and I’m not sure how to wire it to the arb loom. Below I attached 2 photos. One of which says how to wire the arb compressor with the loom and switch they supplied and the other photo is how to wire the switch I bought off eBay.

Does anyone know where to connect these four wires into the arb loom looking at the pictures?

Comment

I think your switch will replace the isolation switch (this turns on the compressor and pressurises the manifold), the other switches are for lockers. I assume you don't have those.

The wire equivalences at the switch terminals I think are:

ARB -> AOB (Ebay)
                Blue-White -> Blue (illumination)
                Red-Yellow -> Red (ignition (positive supply when car is on))
                BLK -> Black (Ground)
                Red -> Green (Relay trigger).

I had the single compressor and the relay was a separate item in the harness which the Red wire from the isolation switch went to. It looks like the dual one might have the relay as part of the main unit that the PUR (purple?) wire connects to.

If in doubt, seek an auto electrician. Or at least you could perhaps wiring it up on the bench with a 12v battery? (dont worry about illumination and connect "ignition" straight to + battery terminal), the switch should turn on the compressor)

Good luck
                Dave

Comment

So I have finally got around to installing and wiring my compressor due to having to finish my water tank and fridges with drawer system. It works perfect and I’m really happy with the switch.

So ive decided to buy a water pump switch to turn my pump on and off for the water tank. I’m completely new to relays I’ve never installed one. Could someone please recommend what relay I should buy off eBay with a link preferably to run the 3A switch and also any instructions on how to wire the relay in and where it should go would be greatly appreciated thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by borgna View Post
                    So I have finally got around to installing and wiring my compressor due to having to finish my water tank and fridges with drawer system. It works perfect and I’m really happy with the switch.

So ive decided to buy a water pump switch to turn my pump on and off for the water tank. I’m completely new to relays I’ve never installed one. Could someone please recommend what relay I should buy off eBay with a link preferably to run the 3A switch and also any instructions on how to wire the relay in and where it should go would be greatly appreciated thanks.
                    What pump are you using and what power draw will it have? My pump setup is coming off the power for the fridge. Ive chucked an inline fuse in for the smaller diameter wire, and just run the pump direct from the switch. Relays are usually just for high amperage applications where the switch cant handle that sort of current.

Comment

I’m using a shurflo pump with max amp draw of 7 amps. I’ve got it wired to my fuse block with a 10 amp fuse. The switch I bought says it is a 3 amp switch which must be used with a relay?

Comment

In all honesty, i would just go to supercheap and get a 10AMP or higher switch. it will only cost $10 or so depending on design and size

Comment

Working...
                        X