UHF install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UHF install

Just got back from C and A Mobile Sound and Communications at Smeaton Grange (near Camden). Very pleased with the UHF install done by Theo. GME 3550S module mounted behind the glove box. GME AE4702B aerial mounted on the bullbar. Mic mounted to the left of the steering wheel using a special bracket which meant that there was no drilling of the dash.
    2015 GX auto / Genuine steel bull bar, snorkel and tow package / Ultimate suspension / Rhino sliders / BFG KO2s / ORS drawers ...

Here's the link to C and A Mobile Sound and Communications.

Charlie sorted out the very tricky mounting required for the Ultravision Tornado Max light bars. It was Ben's idea to use 2 60watt bars, and I'm very pleased with the result.
    Last edited by mrh460; 08-06-2016, 10:13 AM.
    2015 GX auto / Genuine steel bull bar, snorkel and tow package / Ultimate suspension / Rhino sliders / BFG KO2s / ORS drawers ...

Comment

Looking to fit a UHF in my GXL.
      Tidy looking set up.
      Are they cable ties holding the unit in behind the glovebox ?

Comment

The unit is held in place with heavy duty double-sided tape, and also cable-tied. The unit is mounted with its speaker facing downwards.

i was worried about the sound quality from the "SoundPath" speaker at the back of the mic, but it's very clear, with additional sound coming from the head unit.

Comment

• salv8805
          salv8805 commented
          Editing a comment
          My only concern with the mic position is interference with the knee air bag or injuries by same during a crash, lover the mike bracket though

I like the idea of the mic bracket and not having to drill holes in a brand new vehicle.
        Don't spose you'd what brand it is or where one could lay their hands on one ?

Comment

C and A Mobile Sound and Communications make up the bracket themselves.

Comment

installing here works a treat - thanks for the tips. I put mine in today, double sided tape and zip ties as pictured above. It's right next to the grommet through the firewall too which makes it easy. I ran power from the dual battery so we can have it on and off as we please and I also wired up a cigarette point above the glovebox to charge the phones etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Rjstokes View Post
              installing here works a treat - thanks for the tips. I put mine in today, double sided tape and zip ties as pictured above. It's right next to the grommet through the firewall too which makes it easy. I ran power from the dual battery so we can have it on and off as we please and I also wired up a cigarette point above the glovebox to charge the phones etc.
              Did you mount it in a GX, GXL or Crusade ?
              Looked at doing the same mount in my GXL and there doesn't appear to be any room. The GXL seems to have more electronic modules behind the glovebox than shown in the pics !

Comment

Mines a GXL. The unit was a GME remote handset model. It's a bit toight but goes in no worries stuck to the frame on the left. I'll take some pics tomorrow if you like. If you end up taking the leather looking trims off to run the cables, it's best to use a flat head at the top to get the holding lugs back into place when putting them back....

Comment

Some close up pics would be great. I have a GME 3550S sitting in a box waiting to get mounted !

Comment

I just installed a GME 3520S with the base module under the centre console and the remote head above the rear view mirror, hoping to make up a bracket the same as mrh460 to mount the microphone. Volume seems adequate from under the centre console and I don't think I'll be needing a remote speaker, I'd put it in the roof liner just in front of the map light assembly if I were to put one in.

Comment

Here's a couple of pics :

Comment

Just mounted my GME 3550S in the same spot behind the glovebox with double sided tape. Hopefully it stays put !
                        What have you other blokes done with your mic mounting without having to drill holes in anything ??? The same double sided tape used to mount the radio behind the glovebox ?

Comment

G'day Wiggy,

I fed the cable under the airbox in the middle and used tape to fix the ethernet thingie on the right side of the airbox on the left of the drivers leg. I had to pull the carpet out the way a little. The handmic plugs in the other side of that junction. It reaches the driver fine but doesn't have a heap of slack in the cable to dangle down on your knee. I fixed the handmic bracket to the dash using the double sided tape too. The tape I used is like this at Bunnings : https://www.bunnings.com.au/tarzan-s...-tape_p1210342. So far it seems solid!

Comment

RJ,
                            Same tape I used, also from Bunnings!

Comment

Working...
                            X