Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• High beam +ve or -ve switching ?

Hi All,
    Have a new Black Oak LED lightbar to fit to my GLX and my past Toyotas had negative switching on high beam which made wiring tricky. I've had mixed answers when asking whether a tuna is negative or positive switching on high beam.
    To those that have already fitted driving lights or lightbars, did you find your tuna +ve or -ve switched ?

I'm interested to see what the answer is. Will be doing the same thing to my gxl soon.

Comment

It shouldn't be any more difficult wiring up the lights for positive or negatively switched high beams... Below are the wiring diagrams for both types.

AFAIK the switching is negative, have seen some info on the Hilux's that would suggest so.

Comment

I had a bit of a play with the wiring and have found the pictured plug which fits into the back of the LHS headlight assembly. It has 3 white wires going to it and I suspect that one of them is where you would tap into the high beam wiring to trigger a relay when high beam is switched on, I get 12VDC to ground at 2 out of 3 of the wires and 0 VDC to ground on all 3 when high beam is switched off. One of the wires is thicker than the other 2.!
        Could somebody who already has driving lights/LED light bar fitted to their tuna confirm I'm looking in the right place to tap into high beam ?

Last edited by wiggy; 28-06-2016, 04:30 PM.

Comment

The 2015/16 fortuner is + switched when tapped into the back of the high beam plug.
          I had a chat with friend who's an auto elec, he said depends where you tap in. It could be neg switched in the cab which runs through a relay somewhere.

Comment

How'd you go Wiggy? I used the thick white wire - still haven't finished - hope I tapped the right one!

Comment

the thick white wire is the best place to tap into , that way all the auto switching functions remain unaffected
              2016 GX , in White

Comment

Thanks for that, finished it off today, works a treat. The thick white wire looks like the go for sure.

Cheers.

Comment

I used a scotchlock on my white wire but when i get around to it i'll splice and solder for a more reliable connection. Factory Toyota harnesses use a scotchlock on the high beam wire at the instrument panel
                  2016 GX , in White

Comment

Working...
                  X