PWR button mod

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PWR button mod

For those of us who drive round in PWR mode all the time , I have thought of a way to automatically engage PWR mode using this ebay timer - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/261994408...l2649&ssPa geName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT.
    ive ordered one , and intend to set the device to latch the relay 5 seconds after the engine starts. the relay contacts will be connected across the PWR button under the console.

so in theory as soon as you are ready to drive off the car will be placed in PWR mode without any further driver input . There may be an easier way to do the same job but this involves minimal wiring , as the power to the timer can come from the ciggy lighter socket , and the PWR button is in the console which means the whole circuit board can live under the console.

any thoughts?
    2016 GX , in White

Hey it is a fun idea if you do not like to press the button, How long after you start the engine do you need to wait to turn the power mode on? Can you just use a simple relay switched from IGN to close the PWR button circuit? This would simplify things and coule be a more reliable option?

Comment

you need some sort of delay - If you hold down the PWR button when turning on the ignition the PWR function will not engage , it will default to ECO. using a simple relay will keep it forced in ECO mode.
      PWR mode can be engaged about 2 seconds after start up , so fitting a 5 sec delay will allow time for the ECU to boot up properly before accepting inputs.
      2016 GX , in White

Comment

Any luck with this mod Mr White??

Comment

yeah sort of - the concept does work exactly as i described , and i used it for quite a while . trouble is that the FC31 timer has a relay on board which gets quite hot and i decided not to have any hot components under the console in case they catch fire lol.
          2 options here -
          1 - I either find some other 12v timer module which has a non latching timer output ( its quite possible the FC31 or FC32 can do that but ive not gone any further )
          2 - i replace the on board relay with an external one which is rated at continuous 12v.

I actually found that using PWR mode around town is not really a good idea , ive almost run up the back of someone because i was a bit too close and didnt realise it took off so quickly. ECO allows some more delay.
          however when on the open road or towing the PWR mode is awesome all the time.
          Last edited by White One; 29-08-2018, 04:11 PM. Reason: extra info
          2016 GX , in White

Comment

Cheers White One. My car is actually going in for a service tomorrow and I've asked the service manger to look into whether or not it can switched on through Techstream. I'll report back with what he comes up with.

Comment

So no luck. Apparently you cant change the activation mode of the switch. Bugger.

Comment

ok looks like my mod is the way to go then. If the timer can be mounted somewhere where the relay can be watched , or replace the boards' relay with a better one , then all will be sweet.
                2016 GX , in White

Comment

This sounds great!! A few questions.... Why did the timer get hot? Wrong voltage? And did you take any pics?

Comment

sorry no photos , there is plenty of info on the net about the FC31 . the timer itself was ok but the relay on board got too warm , maybe its not continuous rated. You might be able to use a better relay for the job.
                    2016 GX , in White

Comment

Working...
                    X