The "electrical projects wanted" thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "electrical projects wanted" thread

Im starting this thread as a way of discussing R&D on electrical projects that members would like to see. Maybe they should be separate threads but this will do for now.

These are the projects i would like to have later on down the track -
    1 - A way of disconnecting the front axles when in low range , basically making the car 2WD Low Range on demand . Not often used but had merit at my old house , where the caravan had to be crawled up a driveway with some turning and manouvering . 4WD low range would have resulted in axle wind up.
    2 - Anytime locker module for the rear diff - yes i know one is available commercially but i'd rather make one myself. The currently advertised module states it is Canbus control but it clearly is not.
    3 - Higher voltage output for the alternator - I'm sure we could all do with some slightly higher voltages if we end up running winches and dual batteries. Mine only charges at 13.6V ..On this point all i can think of doing is dismantling the alternator and wiring in a conventional regulator , or using alternator from the previous model range , or using alternator from a non DPF Fortuner. I dont know how we would get rid of any error codes if going this way.
    2016 GX , in White

Good idea White one,
    the battery charge issue is one I have thought a lot about and read whatever I could find from peoples experience.
    the end result of my thoughts is putting a resistor fuse in the fuse box will pump up float charge for a bit but still not give your second battery and deep level of charge. A DC / DC charger seems best option that I can find.
    as for changing alternators the biggest thing is getting around the pulse width used as voltage regulator.
    the guys that play with the programming on ECU may have a work around. Programming isn’t my thing.

Comment

With the driveline stuff I may be able to get something. I remember my boss (smart guy too) did some some driveline electrical mods on his FJ cruiser. I’ll find out what he did, if it’s relevant I’ll post up the details.

Comment

I was hoping our 2.8 alternator was like the Ranger , where you can switch off the smart charge function and make it a fixed voltage alternator. Maybe Techstream has the ability to do this ? I cant find any reference to the new V6 Hilux using a smart alternator either , so if they are fixed voltage we can use the internals out of those in our cars. i'm just guessing again really.
        2016 GX , in White

Comment

That could be the case I have just not heard about what guys are doing with the rangers.
          as for Toyota I am under the impression that all alternators are of smart charge technology.
          A good indicator of this is the output voltage, I’ll scope out the plug and see if I find a pulse width

Comment

I just checked the diagrams , looks like the alternator is controlled by Canbus from the Combimeter . But i have an idea - if the alternator output voltage is controlled by PWM , then we substitute a modified PWM signal telling the alternator to increase the voltage output??
            2016 GX , in White

Comment

• Spook1205
              Spook1205 commented
              Editing a comment
              Pulse width substitute could be a go or push out parameters in the program. Programming is way out of my skill set but someone on here could put more thoughts to this.

Perhaps someone may be able to help me with an electrical project I just tried and didn't have the success I had hoped for.

I just had a Harrop elocker diff lock fitted to the front of my 2016 GXL auto and want to be only able to engage it when the factory rear diff lock is already engaged. This is so the wife can't accidently bump the dash mounted switch and have the front diff lock come on when shes going down the freeway at 100kmh.

Anyone got any ideas how to make this happen ?

Comment

The relay for front diff needs to get it’s switching power source from somewhere on rear diff that will only live when it’s engaged.
              hence there will be no power at front diff relay switching circuit unless rear diff is engaged.
              there is a few ways to do this but without a wiring diagram in front of me I can’t say which will be the easiest. E.g the switch or relay for rear diff or even main power supply for rear diff. Be careful of circuits that are earthed switched.

Comment

• White One
                White One commented
                Editing a comment
                my thoughts exactly . the rear diff locker coil is fed directly from the 4WD ECU , no relays used . Red and White wires . Inside the glovebox the 4WD ECU is mounted vertically next to the Engine and the Trans ECU , its the third one along , about half the size of the other two.

Gday wiggy
              think I've read about a kit to do this. Its called, from memory, "buds any time locker". Might need to google this.
              silverfox

Comment

• White One
                White One commented
                Editing a comment
                yep thats the one. In point 2 of my first post i was referring to making one of my own. The buds unit is just a pair of relays from what i saw. when engaged it subsitutes a dummy load across the factory ECU , then controls the factory E locker directly.

GDay Spook,
              I've had a look at the wiring diagram myself and yes you are correct when you say that the rear diff coil is fed direct from the 4WD ECU with no relays. I tapped into the rear diff power wire from the ECU to power a relay through a switch on the dash. This in theory should have worked, but I found that the ECU supplies 12VDC to the rear diff coil to engage the diff and when the diff is seen as engaged by the ECU (light has stopped flashing on dash), it changes the power from 12VDC to pulsing 12VDC which doesn't work real well with a relay.

Comment

I think white one said that lol
                its using pulse width to reduce current draw.
                have a look at what silver fox recommends, most likely easiest plug and play.
                or if wiring yourself back of switch could work if not earth switched.

Comment

Originally posted by wiggy View Post
                  I found that the ECU supplies 12VDC to the rear diff coil to engage the diff and when the diff is seen as engaged by the ECU (light has stopped flashing on dash), it changes the power from 12VDC to pulsing 12VDC which doesn't work real well with a relay.
                  how frequent is the pulsing? you could use a time delay circuit ( attached below ) to hold up the new relay.

Attached Files
                  2016 GX , in White

Comment

Originally posted by White One View Post

how frequent is the pulsing? you could use a time delay circuit ( attached below ) to hold up the new relay.
                    The pulsing frequency seems to be around 1kHz

Comment

• Spook1205
                      Spook1205 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      1kHz would should hold a relay on

Originally posted by wiggy View Post
                    I found that the ECU supplies 12VDC to the rear diff coil to engage the diff and when the diff is seen as engaged by the ECU (light has stopped flashing on dash), it changes the power from 12VDC to pulsing 12VDC which doesn't work real well with a relay.
                    ive looked into this a bit more , at the diff there is a Green wire , which gets earthed out when the diff lock is engaged. This is presumably to tell the ECU that the lock is mechanically engaged and you can now stop the diff lock light from flashing.

maybe you can use this earth signal to activate your front E locker ? I would use a diode here , not connect your relay directly to the green.

2016 GX , in White

Comment

• Spook1205
                      Spook1205 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Sounds like the green wire will have constant power?

• White One
                      White One commented
                      Editing a comment
                      sorry Luke i hadnt responded to your post - The green wire just looks for an earth signal. I havent gone any further on this project as yet.

I'm currently working on a project that will activate my dashcam if the car is bumped while stationary. Yes i know you can buy dashcams with this function built in but then i wouldnt have anything else to do with my time. You could also buy a new 200 series which has this function built in. I'll keep you posted.
                    2016 GX , in White

Comment

Working...
                    X