Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Battery died

anyone else done a battery yet?
    mine started to drop a cell and gave issues for a few days.
    it now has a 660 CCA century battery in it. Bit better than the stock 490CCA.

Haven't had any probs with it, but being an August 2015 model mine is 3 yrs old this August. I plan on going to Battery World so they can load test the OE start & deep cycle (Optima 55 amp) batteries, so I know they're okay before my next trip.

I know nothing of cars, but think the stock 490 CCA is small for my personal liking, especially if running the winch? Most winch guides recommend a min CCA of about 560 in the start battery to run a winch.

I do like the sound of the 660 CCA start Century battery. If needed, when I change the 55 amp Optima deep cycle, that'll be for an 85 amp Century deep cycle. The foot print's about the same, but the Optima is a bit shorter in height. Hopefully it'll fit in the dual battery tray.

Comment

• Spook1205
      Spook1205 commented
      Editing a comment
      I went to battery world on way home from work and definitely recommend them, it’s just down the road and I have to drive past it. Plus the guy working in there used to supply us lots of batteries from his old workplace.

I asked him straight up for something with larger CCA rating, you are spot on Anthony it’s only a minimum rated battery. You can’t have to many CCA’s
      Fortunately he gave me a good trade discount on the DIN65LH Century Battery.
      Didn’t even turn the car off, just picked up battery and fitted it at home. To scared to turn it off 😂

I talked to him about fitting a second battery and charger, he recommended the intervolt because it was waterproof and I want to fit it behind the grill.

http://www.intervolt.com/product/in-...ttery-charger/
      So any thoughts on this would be good.
      If you find the 85 amp battery fits let us know mate.

I replaced my OEM 490CCA Yuasa battery when I had a winch fitted with a 760CCA AC Delco S57090AGM which was the biggest I could find at the time.
    Other batteries that will fit are the Exide X66HAGM 760CCA, Bosch S6LN3 760CCA, Delkor LN3 760CCA.
    For my aux battery I have an AC Delco HCM24SMF 82AH mated with an Intervolt charger. If could have found an Exide LCG24-92 (92AH) I would have gone with that instead.

Comment

• Spook1205
      Spook1205 commented
      Editing a comment
      That is a lot of stored energy mate.
      You happy with the intervolt?

What are you guys running off your auxiliary battery? 80ah sounds very small

Comment

i replaced mine late last year , when i was in Sydney visiting the kids so had a long drive to charge it. I suspected it was on its way out for a long time and had reported it each service but each time Toyota did a load test it worked fine. I run the Ironman 40A DCDC which has auto jump start so it didnt worry me too much.
      mistake 1 - i didnt disconnect the DCDC so the CCA tester showed it to be a good battery - the tester was actually "seeing" the capacitor and components inside the DCDC therefore giving a false reading.
      mistake 2 - each load test that was done was very brief , so therefore would show a good battery. When tested for around 30 seconds + the test failed . A new battery passed.
      mistake 3 - going to Toyota for a warranty price on pro rata replacement - half price was $310 including fitting!! a new Repco ( Century ) 660 was $230 .

its all good now , i sometimes dont use the car for a couple of weeks so I leave a 10w solar panel sitting on the dash as a trickle charger.

overall , i suspect low charging voltages are a major contributor to modern batteries failing early. at start up i see 14.1 V which falls to 13.6 very quickly and stays there. Our MQ Triton charges at 14.4 then drops to 14.1 and stays there. no issues with that battery so far.
      2016 GX , in White

Comment

• Spook1205
        Spook1205 commented
        Editing a comment
        Half price of $310 is just disgusting..... really how do they get away with it? It’s still a stock lead acid battery nothing special and minimum CCA rating.

I paid $185 (trade price) for the 660 CCA Century.

Mine semi-died 2 months ago and was requiring constant hook-up to an external charger every 2-3 days.
      My Toyota dealer tested it and confirmed the fault was the battery.
      They informed me that although the Toyota warranty excludes things such as the battery, the manufacturers Century-Yuasa provide a 2 year warranty.
      My options were
      a). I could contact the manufacturers they would no doubt require me to take the battery to them for testing, but the OEM battery has never been sold in Australia so there would be the usual argument that I need to take it to Century-Yuasa in Thailand, or,
      b). They could source a replacement with a Toyota Brand under a Toyota warranty but this would required a payment of $50 for their labour charges.

I thought $50 was a bit steep just for fitting a battery, but after contacting Century-Yuasa in Australia by phone I was being given the run-around excuses that they weren't responsible for a battery that they never imported, etc, etc, so I just went with the dealer offer for $50. Was a lot cheaper than buying a new battery.

Comment

• Spook1205
        Spook1205 commented
        Editing a comment
        its wrong how you get a 2 year warranty yet it’s no good....

Hylife; If the manufacturer gives a 2 yr warranty tell Toyota their battery isn't fit "for purpose" & you want it replaced. It's not up to you to take the battery anywhere.

With everything else you buy, if it fails within the warranty period you take it back to place of purchase for a refund, repair or replacement. Contact the ACCC & speak to someone there, or check their website to see if there's any mention of things similar to this.... where things are taken back to point of purchase & print it off to show them.

Ideally if you can speak to someone, get anything they say to you in writing via email. Remember, a verbal conversation can be denied. You can't deny it if its in writing.

Its not the consumer's fault the battery Toyota chooses to fit fails.

Comment

the battery is only warranted at full replacement in the first 12 months thence pro rata , half their "retail" price second year. $260 plus fitting in the second year for a 490cca battery. But since i knew it was made some 9 months before i bought the car then i knew its life would be reduced anyway. For me it was peace of mind to just buy a fresh high capacity Century battery from Repco and get a decent nationwide warranty , than muck around paying for Toyotas lower capacity battery and beat you head against the wall later.
        2016 GX , in White

Comment

Just back from Battery World who checked the condition of my Toyota start battery. Checked out okay, but the guy was surprised it was only 490 CCA. He said that if it starts to take a few seconds longer to kick the engine over, then replace it immediately, as that's the first sign of the battery dying.

These are his words not mine... you need at least a 600 CCA start battery for any diesel engine to get the glow plugs going.

Because of the warped way my mind works I asked "but why would they use an under-powered battery in the first place" ? He said he couldn't understand it. Now, rightly or wrongly, in my mind I'm thinking surely the OE 490 CCA battery is sufficient to tick things over otherwise MR Toyota wouldn't use it in the first place. I dunno!! That said, I think I'll follow Spook & get a 660 Century battery before my August trip.

And re the deep cycle battery & space under the bonnet, he seemed to think I could get a 75 or 85 A/Hr to fit, (being about 220mm tall) although he was mindful of the height issue. He said my current 55amp Optima is 190mm tall.

It's all too complicated.... think I need a nanna nap.

Comment

• Spook1205
            Spook1205 commented
            Editing a comment
            You can’t have too many CCA’s with the huge current flow from load on starter motor with high compression and glow plugs draw a few amps too plus have enough to turn over at a decent speed, add in cold weather bigger is better.

A battery gets a CCA rating by proving that amount of current draw in minus 18 deg C temp for 30 second period without dropping below 7.2 volts.
            In other words how many amps can battery put out before it drops below 7.2 volts in -18 deg C for 30 seconds.

• Breekbeen
            Breekbeen commented
            Editing a comment
            I have the intervolt installed, no complains so far.
            Also have a 90 AH deepcycle .

anthony what do you run off your auxillary battery?

Comment

60 ltr Evakool fridge. Maybe 5-6 yrs old now. The 55 amp Optima is okay, as long as we don't sit in the one place for a couple of days without moving. And I've a 150w solar blanket for extra piece of mind.

If we go on day trips & return to base camp the driving will top it up with juice, but I'd prefer a larger deep cycle battery. Even an 85 amp deep cycle is a 50% increase on the 55 amp Optima.

Although interestingly, while at Supercheap recently, I did see some deep cycle batteries saying not suitable for use under bonnet or in engine bay, or words similar to that. Then I saw some that said suitable for under bonnet use. Pretty sure the words were on Century batteries.

Comment

ok i would of thought that your battery wouldn't even last a day without solar charge? i wasn't aware they made deep cycle batteries with such low AH. Maybe yours has a high CCA rating for jump starting as well?

Comment

looking at the arb price list for fortuners mate it says they can fit a 95AH battery in their under bonnet battery tray

Comment

Thanks. Will have a look at ARBs price list. They're the ones who actually did my dual battery set up & put in the 55 amp Optima, saying they couldn't fit a larger battery in due to under bonnet size constraints. Interesting....

Comment

I have a 105Ah in mine, using the piranha hilux/fortuner battery tray.

Comment

• Spook1205
                      Spook1205 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Nice!
                      It obviously fits ok then?
                  Working...
                  X