Intake manifold clean out

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake manifold clean out

Well next weekend I’ll be removing and cleaning the intake manifold after 94000 kms of sludge build up. Hopefully this hasn’t baked hard closer to the head.
    Gasket and 10 ltrs of coolant set me back $70. plus I’ll need some type of hydrocarbon cleaner, either EGR cleaner or just petrol.

Curios to see how much build up there is on manifold runners and the intake runner flaps. If restricted will I notice any power gain that I have slowly lost is something else of curiosity.

This will give me a good estimate of how often I will need to do this.
    Also will remove intercooler to see if any oil collected in there too.

ill post pics up next weekend with what I find.
    cheers, Spook

any excuse to work on your car eh ? keep us posted mate. let me know if a 7mm borescope camera can be used anywhere in the system to have a quick look inside.
    2016 GX , in White

Comment

• Spook1205
      Spook1205 commented
      Editing a comment
      The borescope would work well for investigation. Take of intake tube before electronic throttle and feed it in.

Yeah any excuse to pull it apart and I will 👍

Well the intercooler is out and great news is there is no oil build up in it which can restrict flow. So knowing this is something that I won’t really have to worry about in the future until the engine is worn out and has heaps of blow-by.

Comment

EGR cooler off!

Comment

Manifold off!

Comment

And what I found wasn’t good!
          I estimate about at least 10% blockage of intake also in the head intake tubes too.

Comment

Think you'll find some gains in performance that was slowly lost over time!
            silverfox

Comment

• Spook1205
              Spook1205 commented
              Editing a comment
              I think so too mate👍
              Haven’t worked out how I am going to clean head runners out yet. In a workshop they would just leave it.

But long term this is a problem, I don’t want to be pulling this off every 100000 kms which is what it will need. In another 200000 it will be pretty caked up around the intake valve. So would be up for a head R&R too.
              Intake cleaner does nothing to get this out, and if it did the DPF won’t like it.
              My thoughts long term is do this every 100000 or re- map and get rid of the feedback from the air/ fuel ratio sensor. This way the emission systems can be bypassed without issues.
              Or just keep buying a new vehicle every 3 years....

thats a lot more than i expected to see. wonder if its worth showing those photos to Toyota ? as you say if its left unchecked the ports will be closed up by 200,000 , and power loss dropping off way before then.
            can you scrape out any of that gunge in the head ( with the valves closed ) then blow it back out with compressed air?
            2016 GX , in White

Comment

• Spook1205
              Spook1205 commented
              Editing a comment
              I showed to my Toyota mate. He just done a Hyundai with 40000 on it and half blocked.

I think that might be the way, close intake valve and scrape, clean and blow it out. Wipe out with petrol soaked rag or something too.

thats about the only way. you'll need to remove the glow plugs too i suppose , to make sure engine is at TDC. or apply compressed air into the glow plug hole to ensure no dirt gets into cylinder
            2016 GX , in White

Comment

• Spook1205
              Spook1205 commented
              Editing a comment
              Or I can just watch intake valve close

Gday spook
            i might have missed something, but what do you think is causing the build up? I thought if a catch can was fitted then there would be little oil being burnt in the engine. And if there is a catch can the returned exhaust gases passing through the egr would essentially be passing through a dry intake & therefor there shouldn't be any build up of sludge.
            silverfox

Comment

• Spook1205
              Spook1205 commented
              Editing a comment
              The catch can filters the crank fumes which then you would hope are oil free. It’s done a poor job at catching the oil in the fumes. It’s no where near as bad as it would of been if no catch can.
              I am putting it done to a cheaper style catch can. I will go and have a chat to Baileys diesel early next week to see the results of what they find with a better quality catch can. If a better quality catch can is no better I think I’ll map it....

Well it’s not acid bath clean but for a home job it will do just fine.
            now the head!!

Comment

Something of interest is cyl intake of 1 & 4 have way more build up than 2 & 3.
              both ends of the manifold on inside had substantial build up too. As did the intake bend of EGR intake.

Comment

Head cleaned out pretty good, happy that there is no restriction in the intakes now.
                I just made sure intake claves were closed before I cleaned out.

Comment

Hope baileys recommend a provent catch can, as thats what I put on my hilux since new!

Comment

I also have a Provent. If you buy it off eBay be careful there are fake ones

Comment

Working...
                    X