Check your timing chains

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Check your timing chains

My 2.8 ( amongst a few others ) has developed a rattly timing chain upon cold start up. It was only for 3 or 4 seconds that the noise was present and then it went away for the rest of the day. It first happened at 30,000klm then went away and came back at 32,000klm. The recent spate of cold weather seems to have made the noise more apparent.
    So this post is a heads up for others to see if they have the rattle at start up or while the engine is idling , and a warning to get it seen to asap. I dropped the car in and let them keep it for a couple of days to see if it occurred again. And luckily it did.
    They have not told me the exact cause of the issue but have agreed to replace the entire chain / drive sprockets / guide assemblies with an upgraded kit. There is a 4 week wait for parts and a 3 day repair time as the engine has to be removed for access to the internals. Rumor on other forums says it may be due to incorrect sprocket machining , i have no proof of this though it makes sense. Two or 3 people have lost entire engines over this.

Luckily my dealership has a new service manager who is awesome , to be honest i was expecting a tussle over this repair. I'll post back with the results down the track.

go out and check your timing chains!! Upgraded kit numbers are in the Parts List topic
    2016 GX , in White

the fact toyota has released an upgrade kit but has not done it as a recall is a complete joke. If they have worked out there is a problem with there engines and require and upgrade to fix it should be done to all vehicles under warrenty

Comment

I hope so but i dont think it will ever be a recall - lemon laws are so pissweak in this country and car makers know that. Look at the piston cracking issue in the 1KD engines , loads of engines have broken , a $10k repair bill , the engine has lost power suddenly but if anyone gets injured by it then the ACCC or whoever might act and force carmakers to do a recall ala the VW DSG gearboxes falling to bits.

All we can do is get some awareness out there , and for us mechanically minded persons who can detect the issue we can get it repaired. I feel sorry for the owners who wouldnt know any better and would not act until its too late. My other half is like that - the engine starts and stops and thats all she knows about engines. She has not ever read the owners handbook for her car.
      2016 GX , in White

Comment

Thanks for the heads up. Will keep an ear out for funny noises.

My timing chain broke in my Mitsubishi (Sigma) back in the 1980s, as well as associated damage. A new car with a 12 month warranty (back then). The chain went 1 month after the warranty expired. Luckily for me, AND to Mitsubishi's credit, they repaired the lot without any fees passed on to me. Their reason, although out of warranty, it should never have happened to a 13 month old car!! If only all manufacturers thought that way today...

Maybe at our next services, we should ask the service departments to check out the timing chains, "because I hear a funny noise". At least this way its on record. If it does go, you can argue you told them so, & it may reduce repair costs, because as you know, the big things usually happen after the warranty runs out.

Comment

Thats a good idea Anthony. I never once heard the noise while sitting inside the car while starting it , I only heard it from outside while someone else started it. Maybe a video would make good evidence too.
          2016 GX , in White

Comment

Thanks for this.

I have rattle for about 3 to 4 seconds on cold start which only appeared at 35000k and mostly in cold weather. It's more frequent now approaching 40000.

Will have it checked at upcoming service.

Cheers

Josh

Comment

From what i have been reading , if the chains are rattly then they need to be replaced asap before the engine lunches itself. The dealer didnt argue one bit after the diagnostic test so suspicious me thinks there has been a TSB issued about it.
              I had my dashcam running through the test and all i saw through the bonnet space was a techie listen to the engine with either a stethoscope or a screwdriver so it must be an easy diagnosis.
              2016 GX , in White

Comment

• davidd
                davidd commented
                Editing a comment
                Mate when the techie listened to the engine, where was he standing and whereabouts on the engine was he putting the screwdriver to listen? Any sort of rough idea would be fine. Thanks.

I too have a rattle sometimes on start up. 2016 GXL, 65000Kms. Also at idle sometimes there is a slight noise which sounds like lifter tick. I wonder if that is timing chain related too. Booked in Tuesday. See what happens.

Comment

I would say the noise you are getting at idle is the loose chain slapping against the guides. Lifter tick is regular and rythmic in nature.

let us know what they say. Better fixed before the warranty runs out , 3 day job to repair will not be cheap.

and besides the noise i'd like to hope that the oil filter catches all the metal particles being sprayed off the chain and sprockets.
                2016 GX , in White

Comment

Yeah the tick is similar to lifter tick in that it is rhythmic although doesn’t tick every revolution. Will let you know how I go. Definitely getting sorted under warranty. Even if they give it the green light I will be getting a second opinion.

Comment

I know very little about this stuff, but asked a mechanic about this today. he said that there a re sensors on the timing chains or tensioners that measure the amount of slack in the timing chain and throw an engine light if there is too much to give a warning the chain needs to be swapped out. Otherwise the chain should be fine. until you get a warning on the dash.
                    Can someone please clarify this for me. I am not meaning to doubt any one on here, but now I am totally confused.
                    Thanks.

Comment

i can confirm the 1GD engine does not use those sensors , full description is in here - http://toyota-club.net/files/faq/15-...engine_eng.htm

VE onwards V6 Commodores use those sensors , not sure about other engines
                      2016 GX , in White

Comment

My warranty expires this October. I'll definitely be asking them to check the timing chain, & the DPF (again). With the DPF I've ask them to check it the last 3 services. If nothing else, so they have a record of my asking.

Ditto with the timing chain. If enough of us ask for it to be checked, then Mr Toyota has a record of "possible" concerns or issues, even though their testing finds nothing wrong. Plus if it does go after warranty (that's my luck!!), you may be a chance of saving doe on repairs cause you reported it, but they said there was nothing wrong.

Lastly, I book my servicing on line, & type in my concerns in the little comment box they provide. That way I know they have a record of my concerns & what I want them to look at / check out.

Remember, people can deny a phone call or what was said during the call. They can't deny what you told to them in black & white. Plus, you get a return acknowledgement email of your electronic booking, detailing what you typed in the additional comments box, & keep it for your records.

Comment

• Bussa
                          Bussa commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Good tip re service booking. I also do this for the exact same reason!

Originally posted by White One View Post
                        My 2.8 ( amongst a few others ) has developed a rattly timing chain upon cold start up. It was only for 3 or 4 seconds that the noise was present and then it went away for the rest of the day. It first happened at 30,000klm then went away and came back at 32,000klm. The recent spate of cold weather seems to have made the noise more apparent.
                        So this post is a heads up for others to see if they have the rattle at start up or while the engine is idling , and a warning to get it seen to asap. I dropped the car in and let them keep it for a couple of days to see if it occurred again. And luckily it did.
                        They have not told me the exact cause of the issue but have agreed to replace the entire chain / drive sprockets / guide assemblies with an upgraded kit. There is a 4 week wait for parts and a 3 day repair time as the engine has to be removed for access to the internals. Rumor on other forums says it may be due to incorrect sprocket machining , i have no proof of this though it makes sense. Two or 3 people have lost entire engines over this.

Luckily my dealership has a new service manager who is awesome , to be honest i was expecting a tussle over this repair. I'll post back with the results down the track.

go out and check your timing chains!! Upgraded kit numbers are in the Parts List topic
                        Thanks for posting this. I've started to notice a noise at cold start now that it's winter. Would you be willing to take a picture of the job card from Toyota? It'll make it easier for those of us who don't have a great relationship with our dealers.

Comment

im still waiting for parts to arrive , once the job is done i'll post up the details.
                          2016 GX , in White

Comment

Working...
                          X