No announcement yet.

Check your timing chains

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

you would hope the techs do some diagnostic testing before replacing the timing chains
    2016 GX , in White

Comment

Sorry White one. 🙄 I’ll try again!

Attached Files

Comment

Just had my very early model (one of the first in NZ) checked over by Toyota. They said that there was little stretch and timing itself was spot on, no particular noise could be noted. Saying that I just bought an additional two years of warranty for peace of mind. Hurt a bit at $1,150AUD, as not exactly a planned expense. My factory warranty runs out the end of this month.

The technician said they have had a few Hilux in with the issue, and reading between what he was telling me it could be a very particular batch of sprockets/chains only.

Comment

Is there a year or build date that had the faulty timing chains or is it just pot luck?
          silverfox

Comment

I dont know for sure , i asked the same question at the time and was told it was only a small batch of Japanese engines. Yet when i did a search i found examples from all years / models and multiple countries of origin , so suspect its a bit more widespread. Have also found examples of dealers who refuse to repair , and others accepting the job without question. I am suspicious of the fact they say it is an upgrade kit which sort of tells me there was a problem with the original design.
            2016 GX , in White

Comment

• Silverfox1111
              Silverfox1111 commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks white one. Guess we all have to be listening for the unusual noises then.

Hi Team

Had the Oct 2015 Fortuner in for its 50k service. I had told Toyota about the rattle I was concerned with at the 40k service and was told they couldn't hear a rattle.

I told them again at this 50k service as the rattle was now louder, this time they stated initially, it was normal diesel chatter. I stated that is rubbish and you have been told twice now and its on you if its fails.

Remarkably, they kept the car overnight again and a "Master Technician" started the vehicle the following day and stated straight away its the timing chain issue, and parts have been ordered ex Japan.

Issue apparently is affecting random vehicles at random times of random build dates.

Cheers

Josh

Comment

Hi Bussa. Can I ask if Toyota is going to cover the repair costs, or didn't they say? Its out of warranty being an Oct 2015 model (mine too), but likely have been in warranty when you told them of the rattle at the 40k service.

Comment

They're covering it. I purchased it new in July 2016 as a "demo" - had like 23 km on the clock, so still under factory warranty.

Irrespective of warranty, its a known fault and you would be covered by Australian Consumer Law. I'd love to see a example of Toyota attempting to deny covering parts and labour for this type of problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Bussa View Post
                  I had told Toyota about the rattle I was concerned with at the 40k service and was told they couldn't hear a rattle.

I told them again at this 50k service as the rattle was now louder, this time they stated initially, it was normal diesel chatter. I stated that is rubbish and you have been told twice now and its on you if its fails.
                  for some reason these highly experienced factory trained technicians can never hear the noise the first time ,no matter how loud the clatter is , they always wait for the customer to complain again. Good on you for standing your ground.
                  when i complained about mine at 32k i had known of a few prior incidents i was able to find on online , and i knew about a local girl who lost an engine on this issue. So i was ready

2016 GX , in White

Comment

Was talking to an experienced mechanic the other day about this chain problem. He says the chain diagnosis is not a big problem. Apparently there are three parameters the Ecu uses to give the correct injector timing. One of these is the valve timing. He said that if a timing chain was badly worn first the readings would be affected. then first the engine would run a bit rough, secondly it would lose power and then it would just not run, eventually . At some stage the confused computer would throw a code due to confused readings caused by the faulty valve timing readings. Any comments please.
                    Cheers.

Comment

• Spook1205
                      Spook1205 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I really don’t know where to start🤷*♂️
                      The explanation you where given is has some truth but many wrongs when it comes to cam / crank correlation and DTC’s.
                      As for the initial chain rattle I perceive that a low oil pressure related issue affecting the tensioner.
                      The same chain rattle is exists when you change oil and filter.

Thanks Luke. This means that the first start up rattle in the morning is just part of the oil pressure buildup at first start?? And a continuation of audible chain noise, diagnosed by a good techie while engine is running is caused by the faulty chain. Have I got it right yet?? A couple of mechanics I've spoken to about this said to stop worrying. If you'd ever heard the racket a worn out chain makes you'd understand was the basic comment. I'm concerned about this chain thing because I'm spending a fair bit of money on accessories for this thing as well as another camper trailer. I'd hate to head out and then have this bloody chain go. I'd be cleaned out basically. Dealer has told me on a few occasions there is no problem, but fuel consumption is bad and there is a slight rough edge to the motor and it is noisier than others I have heard. Probably just me obsessing. I'm a bit of a worrier mate. The car starts first kick every morning and every other start, and always been reliable for over 60k. But others I have looked at run very quietly and rev quietly idle just a tad smoother, but not much. Reading this thread got to me a bit I think.
                    cheers.
                    Last edited by davidd; 1 week ago.

Comment

• Spook1205
                      Spook1205 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That is my perception on it.
                      Using the correct oil is important.
                      Chain rattle is pretty worn out and most times it’s the guides being badly worn or tensioner issues.
                      A stretched chain is common in some engines like the VZ commodore and only symptom is the engine light from cam / crank correlation. Holden actually reset parameters so rather than throw a code at about 7 degrees out it was good to 12 degrees variation. Yet bad service schedule and clogged up VVT mechanism will throw same code but stuck in advance rather than being retarded.
                      Best way to check cam / crank correlation is a scope on both sensors.

Thanks I'm feeling a bit better. I have had a stethoscope on the engine and can't hear a thing round the timing case. Engine always runs, Injector timing both at idle and under acceleration or cruising has never altered Maybe I should just get on with it. .
                    Last edited by davidd; 1 week ago.

Comment

• Spook1205
                      Spook1205 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Injection timing is based on a complex algorithm of sensor inputs. Request of power (pedal position), MAF, engine temp, rail pressure, boost pressure, intake air temp, rpm, vehicle speed are the main ones I can think of at the top of my head.

Perhaps these things should throw a code if cam timing is too far out, they have crank and cam angle sensors. So we should have a warning.

Comment

• Spook1205
                      Spook1205 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      They definitely will throw a code if out.
                      I’ve seen cam / crank code for a slight resistance on the cam sensor earth. Pico scope picked up a slight ripple that was only milli ohms of resistance. Slight ripple in the earth pattern. If earth floats it actually throws out the signal phase even if physicals it is ok.
                      For trade testing the guys I would use a resistor to pull a 1 volt drop on cam earth, it throws the cam / crank signal out a lot.

Blokes, I have had a few minor problems lately, and have had a good listen round the engine with a stethoscope. There is , quite loud and clear, audible to my 71 year old half deaf ears, a loud tinkling type sound coming from all around the front of the rocker cover. I took the engine cover off and it still comes from the same place,. from right angles to the front of the rocker cover on one side, round the front of the engine till at right angles to the rocker cover on the other side, with a slight drop in volume right in front. Tried putting the stetho scope all round the front of the rocker cover and timing cover. NO sound coming from there except a sound of bearing noise like coming from a shaft turning in a bearing, all normal. But as soon as I take the scope off the tinkling noise is quite audible and loud again to the unaided ear . Could this be the timing chain noise we don't want to hear. I can't think of any other option. Any one have any clues please.
                    Last edited by davidd; 20 hours ago.

Comment

davidd , normally a loose timing chain is evident on the first cold start up , which then goes quiet after a few seconds.
                      2016 GX , in White

Comment

Working...
                      X