Air filter sealing issue!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air filter sealing issue!

I think I will be adding a strip of adhesive weather seal to the filter housing, assuming it is true QA issues like this are disappointing - but Toyota's apparent indifference is more so.
    4x4 Australia finds a fault with the air intake system of the Toyota Hilux, Fortuner, and Prado – Whichcar is the online home of 4x4 Australia magazine

yeah i first noticed this on a trip to the Cape , a fine wisp of red dust had made it way past the filter and there was a light coating of red dust on the MAF sensor. Luckily i had a new filter with me and the mechanic up there let me blow out the dust with compressed air. He said that he had noticed it on all new Toyotas.
    when i got home i used MAF cleaner to clean the MAF an surrounding areas , though no more dust got in in the way back. Might be flexing of the housing causing it ?

its not good if you live in a dusty area and your engine cops lungfuls of dust!!
    2016 GX , in White

Comment

I haven't done much off road / dust driving, but did notice a bit of dust in the box when I changed the air filter a while back after an Eye Peninsular trip. I always carry a spare air filter on trips & have a can of MAF cleaner.

Good idea about the weather strip around the box to reduce the chance of dust getting in, just in case the housing does flex.

I don't have a snorkel, but will report back on any dust probs after my August Gulf trip.

Comment

Hi guys

For those that are seeing dust in your airbox, are you using the OEM filter?

I have a K&N filter, and the seal on that is thicker than the OEM, and the box has to be pressed with sufficient force to get the clips closed. I have never seen an ounce of dust in the air box. Perhaps this may just be a fix with a thicker seal on OEM filter or the box.....

Cheers

Comment

yes its the OEM filter that allows in dust , im pretty sure a thicker seal will fix it
          2016 GX , in White

Comment

• blatchi
            blatchi commented
            Editing a comment
            you would think toyota would just redesign the filter and be done with it. They did the same thing with the previous model hilux fuel filter

https://www.motoring.com.au/toyota-s...-drama-113482/

they claim they will retro fit existing vehicles once they have a fix. Only time will tell

Comment

Originally posted by savuka View Post
            https://www.motoring.com.au/toyota-s...-drama-113482/

they claim they will retro fit existing vehicles once they have a fix. Only time will tell
            I found the following from the article interesting.
            "It's also been found that an air snorkel, such as the one fitted to the Rugged X we tested, can exacerbate the problem in dusty conditions."

Comment

• DaveC
              DaveC commented
              Editing a comment
              yeah, WTF? isnt that why they fit factory snorkels? especially the ones that dont claim to be watertight anyway??

What is common between the fortuner/hilux and prado? not the airbox or filter, thats for sure... its not clear what the problem is. MAF sensor location, filter medium, filter housing?

Comment

I got the feeling it was to do with the MAF sensor attracting dust via static electricity - can they do something to stop this I wonder? Dust less than 2-5 microns would be penetrating any filter type, I think it’s more that the dust is actually sticking onto the MAF sensor than trying to keep the dust out completely..?

Comment

Officeworks here I come.
                Attached Files

Comment

that air pressure duster looks ok , but for a few dollars more i would buy the correct MAF cleaner liquid spray.
                  2016 GX , in White

Comment

Another interesting article

http://unsealed4x4.com.au/heres-filt...-dust-problem/

Comment

Originally posted by savuka View Post
                      "If you’re driving really dusty roads regularly and want maximum lifetime out of your engine, you might want to look at a replacement filter setup with better specifications."

Like what?
                      A K&N?
                      Is anyone using something different?

Comment

• Bussa
                        Bussa commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I'm using K&N and don't have an issue.

Originally posted by White One View Post
                      that air pressure duster looks ok , but for a few dollars more i would buy the correct MAF cleaner liquid spray.
                      I have a MAF cleaner but before pulling it apart I would like to blow some air over it. It will save a lot of time if I have a problem in Cape York.

Comment

• Spook1205
                        Spook1205 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        It’s literally a two minute job to remove and clean with MAF sensor cleaner and put it back in

Originally posted by Bussa View Post
                      Hi guys

For those that are seeing dust in your airbox, are you using the OEM filter?

I have a K&N filter, and the seal on that is thicker than the OEM, and the box has to be pressed with sufficient force to get the clips closed. I have never seen an ounce of dust in the air box. Perhaps this may just be a fix with a thicker seal on OEM filter or the box.....

Cheers
                      I believe the K&N filters seal a bit better... buy shares now lol

Comment

• Bussa
                        Bussa commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Yes seal is thicker and I haven't had a problem with the K&N...!
                    Working...
                    X