X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GD Series engine info.

A bit of info on the new 2.8.

http://toyota-club.net/files/faq/15-...engine_eng.htm

Have only read through it quickly, but two interesting things I saw were where they say the Prado version has a balancer shaft but the Hilux doesn't, and that the Prado gets "Active engine mounts". Be interesting to see what we have here in Aus.
    Last edited by Mick66; 21-04-2016, 07:48 AM.

Originally posted by Mick66 View Post
    A bit of info on the new 2.8.

http://toyota-club.net/files/faq/15-...engine_eng.htm

Have only read through it quickly, but two interesting things I saw were where they say the Prado version has a balancer shaft but the Hilux doesn't, and that the Prado gets "Active engine mounts". Be interesting to see what we have here in Aus.
    Good find and good read, cheers Mick66
    Fortuner Forum Default Signature!

Comment

Interesting. So do we know if the Fortuner has the balance shafts?? Most newer quality diesels do now. It appears also that the eco systems have gobbled up all the extra torque with the engine having little or no more performance advantage over the 3l engine and losing the extra torque from 2600 to 3400. Do I have it right???
      Last edited by davidd; 21-04-2016, 11:18 PM.

Comment

I would of have thought something like a 'balance shaft' would be an integral design of the engine as a whole.
        What do Toyota have to gain by not including it as part of the standard engine design for all the models that use this engine?
        I doubt they'd be saving much money (if anything it would be an added cost for engine design, productions/logistics.)

Has anyone driven driven the new Prado and compared it to the Fortuner?

Cheers..

Ralf..

Comment

Hi have the new 2.8 Prado but have not driven the Fortuner to compare.

Thanks
          Brent

Comment

I recently made a trip down to Victoria and had a drive of the old man's 2013 Prado, gotta say the Fortuner definitely has more get up and went from a standstill. Glad I went with a Fortuner!

Comment

From what I understand, an engine without a balancer shaft spools up quicker, as there is less load, which explains why more pickup feel.
              But because it is not balanced, there may be vibrations when engine at specific RPMs.

Maybe the engineers at Toyota figured a way around, by controlling ECU/RPM and re engineer chassis & mounting.
              One thing for sure, without balancer shaft, and no additional pulleys, bearings and belts. sure cuts the costs down for Toyota (both manufacturing, parts & logistics) .... >> HEAPS <<.

But Fortuner is a tough 4WD, people drive this across rough terrains & corrugations and all, so maybe for these reasons Toyota decided to remove it, perhaps.
              Last edited by Kiat; 24-05-2016, 01:51 PM.

Comment

When I bought mine I test drove both the prado and fortuner. Fortuner had a more responsive throttle. Prado had a smoother (softer) ride quality. Both were very quiet, I didn't find that the prado had any less engine noise or vibration.

What I don't understand is why the prado is quoted as 8L/100 combined fuel usage but Fortuner is 8.6L/100. The prado has the same (almost) engine and gearbox and is slightly bigger and heavier (and I'd guess less aerodynamic). What's up with that?

Dave

Comment

• Kiat
                  Kiat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's the secret Toyota will never reveal, especially for an ageing platform like Prado.

I've had mine for 4months now and I'm luck to get under 9L/100km, must be the way I drive?

Comment

Working...
                X