Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think somewhere I read they have different computers but not sure

Comment

After DPF software update and switch install I noticed increase in fuel consumption and more frequent regeneration. According to Toyota's documentation the fuel consumption should have improved a little and definitely not increase. I took it back and they cleaned the MAF sensor and downloaded some data to share with Toyota engineering. They told me to drive it for couple of weeks and report back. This is the feedback I provided them with:

I took my car for a 900km drive out of which 750kms was on open road, mostly freeway sitting at 100km/h. The car had only a driver and about 150kms of load (no towing).
      Here are my observations on DPF operation and fuel consumption during this trip.

DPF observations:
      • Fuel consumption on open road driving at 100km/h
        • DPF regeneration off = 9.8L/100kms
        • DPF regeneration on = between 11L/100 and 13.2L/100
        • DPF regenration time started at 50mins but dropped down to 20mins (progressively improved).
      • Fuel consumption on semi-urban (with some freeway driving)
        • DPF regeneration off = 10.2L/100kms.
        • DPF regeneration on = between 13.8 - 14L/100
      • DPF burn cycle more frequent down to an average of 120kms between burns compared to between 200-300kms.
      • White smoke starting to reappear on take-off (sometimes).
      • Behaviour of DPF seems to be similar to last time when DPF filter had to be replaced in terms of burn coming in more frequently.
      Questions I raised:

1. Why is fuel consumption higher after the upgrade when it should have improved (under same driving conditions)
      2. Why is burn cycle shorter, on average every 120kms rather then 200-300 (under same driving conditions)?
      3. Why is white smoke starting to re-appear?
      2. First time DPF filter was replaced was at 37,000kms and I have now done 95,000kms. Could it be that DPF is getting clogged up again hence why regeneration kicks in and fuel consumption goes up?

Upon reviewing all of the information provided and data downloaded over the last month, Toyota Australia decided to proceed with replacing the DPF filter again. Will let you know how I go.

I must say Toyota service guys have been fantastic and really going out of their way to help me out and get to the bottom of this issue. Great service.

Comment

Wow two DPF changes and possibly a turbo? thanks for posting about your issues even though it is probably a worry to other owners like me to read about it.
        Do you monitor anything with torque pro? I am wondering if you have noticed any rise in pressure suggesting that the DPF could be blocking again, you shouldn't be noticing more frequent burns or increased fuel consumption either as I had read reports that the last update should have improved things not made them worse.
        It wont please you to hear that my manual Prado has better fuel consumption, and has not had the update. I have just checked the average reading which is for varied driving including towing a boat over 3000 Kms since I put it back on the road. It is 8.5L/100Kms it has only covered 33,000 Km from new in 2015 so plenty of scope for something to fail yet!

Comment

JohnLynn, I only monitor dpf, atf and egt via scangaugeII. Yes a bit of a worry but I hope Toyota gets on top of it and installs a revised DPF and Turbo. We also have a new Prado which has the same 1GD engine so hopefully better luck.

Comment

I don't have the switch, but can trigger a manual DPF burn via the scan gauge. Since the update 2 weeks ago, the car ran a burn which I don't notice so couldn't monitor any details.

After filling up the tank, I just ran a manual burn & notice;; It took 22 minutes driving 14 kms (suburb driving), & average fuel during the burn was 13L/100. The DPF % got down to 6 before it started to climb again. Time will tell if this is consistent or not.

Overall I think fuel consumption is a bit better since the ECU update. Certainly better during the burn which used to run about 14-16L/100.

As a side note, I was talking to the Toyota tech while waiting to pick up the car the day the update was done. He's got a new 2.8 Hilux. I told him I still get the gear box hunting for gears when going around corners or a round-about etc, even though an update was done to try & fix this. Interestingly, he said this latest ECU update for the DPF, should also address the gearbox issue.

Don't know for sure, but in the 2 weeks since the update I've only really noticed the gear issue a couple of times. Anyone else had the ECU / DPF update with an auto gearbox notice similar??

Comment

• greyone58
              greyone58 commented
              Editing a comment
              My Fortuner suffered the transmission issue. I mentioned it at every service but it was never resolved. Had the ECU update done in December and it hasn't occurred since. It might just be my imagination, but the car feels as though it performs better too.

I will keep you posted on how the car performs after DPF replacement. I have not noticed any issues or changes with the gearbox at all however I will pay little more attention and let you know.

Comment

DPF filter and 5th injector replaced and car back to normal. Fuel consumption back to 9.8L semi-urban. I asked if Toyota have redesigned the DPF but was told the issue was in software and DPF had to be replaced as it was too late for s/w or manual clean/burn to be able to bring it back to optimal condition. Final s/w update is suppose to be the final fix.

Comment

• Spook1205
                Spook1205 commented
                Editing a comment
                Let’s hope that is the last of your problems.
                Do you monitor EGT2?
                Because that second exhaust temp sensor is the one that will show an issue before anything else. If you notice it not getting up above 600deg and later in burn around 700 the cat is not getting hot. If the catalyst doesn’t get hot it’s not going to regen.

Many people blame the actual DPF for being the cause but it’s actually the symptom of something else gone wrong which causes the DPF to fail.
                A lot of the issues have been caused by catalyst failing from too much raw fuel going through it. There has been a few changes in the newer updates on how and when the system will deliver extra fuel.
                An example of this is if stopped at lights and you go to take off the post injection phases and 5th injector will shut off to you pick up speed. Also harder acceleration will shut down extra fuel till load is taken off the engine. 5th injector used to continuously pulse away at about 5 times a second now it will shut down in the above driving conditions mentioned.
                Software changes have been really good and personally I think they have got on top of it now. Not to say there will never be any more DPF issues as all manufacturers have DPF issues.
                Sorry for the ramble on you may know most of this stuff already.
                Cheers

Good advice above re the temperatures, perhaps Toyota should provide the DPF temperature on a display or an alarm if it doesn't get high enough.
              I am still curious to see what changes after the most recent update which my Prado wont have for some time. Meanwhile I arrived home last night to find the engine on fast idle, (which usually annoys me lol) I switched on torque pro to find that the DPF was down to 10% so I left the engine running for a couple of minutes for the regen to complete.
              Attached is screenshot from the head unit showing the temperatures, I suppose that I should not really complain.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20190107-192716.png Views:	1 Size:	246.3 KB ID:	12968

Comment

• Spook1205
                Spook1205 commented
                Editing a comment
                I’ll get a shot of same data next regen to compare. Will be on snap-on scantool but data is the same although layout will be different

• JohnLynn
                JohnLynn commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks Luke, I wonder if the update that your engine has had increases the temperature? the regen that I posted a while back was completed cruising on the free way and the B1S2 temperature steadily increased from about half way through the process but reached a maximum of "only" around 690. I have noticed that this temperature is exceeded on no load fast idle as per the example above. I have never really understood why. Also do you think there is any difference in behaviour between a manual car like mine with fast idle at 1200 rpm as opposed to an auto which (presumably) can only fast idle at 900 rpm or the vehicle would creep forward or heat the oil unnecessarily? So does an auto reach say 750 odd degrees on fast idle?

• Spook1205
                Spook1205 commented
                Editing a comment
                Newer update definitely burns hotter especially the back end of the regen.
                On free way what comes out of DPF is actually hotter than what goes in by about 50 deg hotter. Around town or high idle its hotter to what goes in and cooler coming out. That’s why EGT2 is hotter around town.
                The high idle would be dangerous on auto for the reason you stated above about creeping forward.
                If I finish a regen at home I’ll hold it on 1800 to 2000 rpm. This will get the 750 odd deg.

Spook and John, thanks for your feedback. I only have scangaugeII and have configured EGT but don't have the code for EGT2. My fuel consumption has come down even further now to 9.6 around town (suburban driving). Regen cycle is now back to every 250-300kms which is good. I will keep everyone posted on how things go.

Comment

• Spook1205
                Spook1205 commented
                Editing a comment
                The code for EGT2 is on here somewhere, I’ll have a look later for it

• Spook1205
                Spook1205 commented
                Editing a comment
                Found it....
                I’ll put pic up further in thread as I am unable to attach pic in a reply

No problem I am glad that someone else is interested and would like to get to understand more about this issue. I find it fascinating that Luke has reported the update makes the burn hotter. My 760 degrees on fast idle I reckon is pretty good and must admit I will be surprised if it gets higher than this post update. We will see.
              I also find the differences in the three sensors quite marked, sensor 1 for instance is hardly any different to normal use and sensor 3 is quite a bit lower than the DPF.
              I have attached another screenshot taken immediately after the rpm dropped back to normal and the % was down to 6 after the regen was complete. This time sensors 2 and 3 had equalised, the time between the two pictures is only a couple of minutes which presumably illustrates that if the DPF is hot enough things can happen quickly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_20190107-192830.png
Views:	1
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	12977

Comment

• Spook1205
                Spook1205 commented
                Editing a comment
                Sensor 1 doesn’t go up because the heat comes from catalyst which is between EGT1 and 2.

Screenshot of EGT2 code for Scangauge2.

Comment

Here are the EGT's at high idle on 10% accumulation. 5th inj status just flashes as capture rate on scantools is no where near fast enough to capture it operating at real time. hence scene shot saying off. but it was cranking away in real time.

Comment

• Spook1205
                  Spook1205 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  John, by any chance you would of just driven down a long hill which would of cooled the system down?
                  Then catalyst has heated up again and Filter still going up.
                  Just a possible theory

• JohnLynn
                  JohnLynn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No it is flat here on the WA coast, I had driven home through the suburbs oblivious that a regen was happening as no torque pro running. I stopped to back in the garage and was irritated to find the engine on fast idle so switched on torque pro and took the screen shots.

• Spook1205
                  Spook1205 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hey john, next regen around can you monitor EGT3?
                  This has me intrigued....

Spook, thank you very much for the code. I will enter it this weekend.

Comment

• Spook1205
                  Spook1205 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  All good mate, just sharing info others have been more than kind to share.
              Working...
              X