No announcement yet.

DPF Switch Installed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks mate. no lights then I guess, but this does the job anyway. Thanks. I had a second regen this afternoon and the light on the dash stayed on a bit longer and I turned the key off. The warning came on again after I started the car again.

Comment

• Spook1205
      Spook1205 commented
      Editing a comment
      Did you want a light on constantly when a regen is happening?

Hi luke, I was given an instruction sheet at the time of installation to tell me what the dash lights are and how to respond to them when they appear. Was told they would be switched on after the software update. When they didn't appear I rang the service desk at the dealership and told them asked asked if it was normal. Was told the dash warning must be correct and the system was operating normally. Noticed a sticker had been placed on the driver's door to notify the driver what to do if a dashboard warning light came on. There was a picture of the warning light. Being totally confused at this point I thought I would try the forum as others on the forum had had this update installed and could advise me if there were lights coming on , on the dash to advise of a dpf malfunction or of a regeneration occurring. A couple have advised me of the writtenadvice on the instrument panel, but neither has answered what I thought was a simple question to advise if there are lights on the dash when a regen is in progress or the dpf is blocked and attention is required by the driver. Sorry if I 'm being a pain in the ****, But I have an instruction sheet which says there are lights ,and a sticker on my door telling me there is a light and shows a picture of it. If there are no lights that's fine. If there are supposed to be lights then the update has not been installed properly and could cause problems later on. That's all I was after mate.I seem to have caused a bit of confusion.
    Cheers,

Comment

• Spook1205
      Spook1205 commented
      Editing a comment
      Totally understand why you would be asking questions, frustrating being told one thing then you get something different. The dealership person should of put you in contact with a person there who knows what they are talking about.

Sorry I couldn’t offer any real help as I have the previous update which is same regen parameters but without light / warning options. So I haven’t had a look at dash functions.

I think the most telling thing about this whole saga is your previous post that you rang the dealer who did the update "and they didn't know either" if I worked at a dealership and was asked a question that I didn't know the answer I would be appalled and make sure that I found out asap.
    To recap is this how it should work: a regen announcement briefly on the display and no lights unless there is a problem?

Comment

According to the pamphlet, the light comes on and a Dpf Full appears o the dash. Driver then drives till the regen is done and light goes out. Second opton, the light comes on flashing and a warning comes on the dash.. Vehicle should be given a regen via the button . Third option is light comes on flashing plus the engine light and dash warning. Vehicle should be towed.
      That's according to the pamphlet and the sticker on the door. After I was first told by the dealer The lights would be switched on after the upgrade and then told there apparently were no lights, I was totally confused. As there are a number of bloke who have had or are having the upgrade I thought the answer was to ask a question here.
      Seems I've just started a real bit of confusion for us all.
      Cheers

Comment

Hi David. I reported the same issue in the other DPF thread (The Great DPF Myth) on 1/1/19.

I too was expecting to see Custom Mode operating as per the instruction pamphlet, with a light flashing for the duration of each burn.

What I get on my GX is a very brief message DPF REGENERATION IN PROCESS appearing for a couple of seconds at the start of each burn. This message would be very easy to miss.

I note that red_dune commented above that there are options available for how the message is displayed, and I will be asking my service manager about this.

Last edited by mrh460; 1 week ago.
        2015 GX auto / Genuine steel bull bar, snorkel and tow package / Ultimate suspension / Rhino sliders / BFG KO2s / ORS drawers ...

Comment

David, I fully understand the confusion. Due to DPF issues I experienced on my car I was lucky enough to be dealing directly with Toyota chief mechanic at my dealership who was able to clearly explain all of the modes to me. Let me try to relay in the best way I can what I have learned.

Basically, the DPF switch is there only as a precaution to allow the driver to preform manual DPF regeneration (same as what Toyota dealership would do) should DPF filter become blocked or partially blocked. Now depending on the model (GX or GXL/Crusade) warning notification messages are different.

For GX model DFP light (same symbol as what is on the switch) fill either stay on for partially blocked DPF or flash at 1 sec interval for blocked DPF alerting you to STOP the car and perform manual regen.

For GXL/Crusade there will be a message "DPF full see owners manual" for partially blocked DPF or "DPF full visit your dealer" for blocked DPF with the same action for driver to STOP the car and perform manual regen.

As for regular regeneration that should occurs every 250-300kms notification messages are also different.

For GX DPF light will flash slightly faster 0.5sec internals (as oppose to 1 sec intervals) and flash for 20-30mins after which it will stop.

For GXL/Crusade it will display message "DPF regeneration in process" which will stay on for duration of regen or you can get rid of it by pressing back button at which point it will move under warning messages. This is what my dealer told me is customisable but only on GXL/Crusade which allows you to select either a flashing symbol or warning message.

Hope this helps but if not ping me and I would be happy to take a video or some photos.

Regards,
          Sash

Comment

• mrh460
            mrh460 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Sash. As I have said previously, during regular regenerations, my GX now displays DPF REGENERATION IN PROCESS for a couple of seconds at the start of the burn, with no flashing light. The problem with this is that it’s very easy to miss the message.

• red_dune
            red_dune commented
            Editing a comment
            mrh460, thanks for that input. There must be multiple custom settings.

Hi Sash,
          What you have described is precisely what the pamphlet says will happen. Trouble is that it doesn't for me or anyone else with a GX here or on the facebook group!

I have had the update and asked for 'custom mode' to be enabled. On my GX, I don't even see the 'DPF REGENERATION IN PROCESS' message as the burn starts! I have looked very closely, whilst another person was driving, my Scanguage flicked over from 98% to 100% accumulation level and the EGT temps increased, no message! Perhaps it depends what your display is currently set to (mine was showing range). I'm just catching up on these threads and noticed that the message may appear again if scrolling the display options, I'll try that next time. If it doesn't show up then, it makes me wonder if they did the update at all!

It's a shame, because what's described on the pamphlet (0.5sec flashing of DPF warning light on GX) is actually a great and unobtrusive way of showing a burn in progress! Hopefully they sort this out for the GX owners.

Dave

Comment

• red_dune
            red_dune commented
            Editing a comment
            There appears to be a difference between GXL which is what I have and GX in the way these messages are displayed. Mine does exactly what the pamphlet says and Toyota mechanic configured it so that message would come up (what I asked) but said there is also an option of just flashing icon.

There is also the issue of the manual burn via the switch. Without the light coming on how do we know if we have to do a manual burn?? That's probably the really important one. As long as the other burn happens all is well, even if we don't know it is happening. Knowing we have to do a forced manual burn is critical.
          Last edited by davidd; 1 week ago.

Comment

• red_dune
            red_dune commented
            Editing a comment
            For a GXL/Cursade the message will say DPF full but it appears to be little more tricky for GX.

It appears my dealer may have stuffed it up. I was just told it was all fixed as it should be and the light would come on for regen etc. and another instruction sheet and given a bit of paper to sign which I omitted to read unfortunately. Just took the service reps word for it.
          .I'll be interested to see what feedback you others get from your dealers. Mine is the most difficult impossible to deal with dealer on the planet. Putting a vehicle into ghat workshop is like taking your life in your hands. I still have problems with that vehicle that were there the day I collected the vehicle . The dealer doesn't even admit there is a problem.
          Cheers

Comment

have the vehicle booked in for next week . The workshop foreman said they installed the Custom Mode which was what I asked for but it's possible they forgot to turn the lights on. Will be interesting to see how it goes. Looking at the pamphlet at the custom mode notoificatons, the "DPF Regeneration in progress" is the warning on the dash for the GXL and Crusade. All the notifications for the GX done via flashing lights.Could be software problem. It could also be an installation error which is unlikely because it appears all the GX owners have the same problem. Every techie in the country cant have have got it wrong.
            Will post up results after I get the vehicle back from the dealer. The head techie is one of the best around and there are a couple of others there who aren't half bad either. .

Comment

My GX; only noticed the DPF regen light pop up a couple of times

Comment

Since they put the dpf in mine a while back, it did a regen roughly every 200 km. Fuel economy was poor and got worse and worse. Finally went away for a holiday and when we got back it as running the best it had in a couple of years and fuel economy good. Put it in for the dpf update and the economy is dropping back again, but no idea what is happening as regards to burns really . car also seems to have a transmission problem (manual) which makes it seem like it is towing a caravan at times. Could be caused by that. Two of us putting vehicles in again, so we'll see what comes of it. At least you have a proper installation apparently.

Comment

I'm a techno moron, and have a 2018 Crusade that's done 26000 km in 12 months. I've had no issues, but I did notice fuel consumption around town was pretty high at 10.6. However on a country trip to Yorke peninsula, not towing but loaded up with gear I got 8.6 for the round trip. Just after that I had the recall from Toyota for the DPF, which they said would be 3 hours. My car was ready in 1/2 that time, they said because the regen and computer update took no time at all because of the fact I do a lot of 80 kph plus driving. Since the regen my consumption ( based on the figures on the dash only) seems to be better. Towing a 1.5 ton boat with the car fully loaded and 3 big adults to Yorkes gave 10.8l per 100km. So, from my point of view, my Fortuner has been trouble free over 12 months, and I've had no issues with the DPF with my style of driving. It would seem Toyota aren't burying their heads like some manufacturers on what appears to be an inherent fault with the DPF set up. Hopefully they will continue to back their product with after market recalls when necessary. Seeing a couple of newish Hiluxes spewing out copious amounts of white smoke is worrying!!

Comment

Just got my 2016 GXL back from the DPF service. haven't driven it long enough to notice a change in the petrol consumption but its feels like a new car. better off the mark than before, more zippy (if thats possible) ill report back with fuel stats

Comment

• Silverfox1111
                      Silverfox1111 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Hopefully it doesn't use any petrol.

• Paulydog
                      Paulydog commented
                      Editing a comment
                      unfortunately, i dont drive it off road much. its my daily and its driven in peak times. average before was 9.8 \ 100

• westtuner
                      westtuner commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I found the same after having the software update done, felt great, had about half a tank left, 200ks or so later, filled up and not long after DPF regeneration came up for around 30ks and fuel consumption went to crap, waiting to see how long til the next regen and if the economy improves again.... fingers crossed but not happy so far!

Just got home from the dealer. They looked at the dpf thing for me on the basis of "just drop in whenever you get a chance and we'll have look, it can't be a big problem". The workshop foreman looked at it and uninstalled the program and then reinstalled the custom program which was supposed to have been installed the first time (and may well have been). Said he double checked after he installed it and the Techstream check tells him everything is fine. Naturally it's not possible to verify this on the road till the next regeneration is under way which is not due for another 150km. Will get back to you. Hopefully the first time it was just an installation error which has been fixed. They were keen to have another look at it as it was the first one thy had done
                    Cheers

Comment

Working...
                    X