No announcement yet.

DPF Switch Installed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well....That was a complete and absolute waste of time. Got car back from dealer and it was going like a rocket, no idea why. As mine does a regen every 200kms and I had already done just over 100 I thought I would go for a driv and see how it went. At the 150km mark, 50 km early it starts up another regen which lasted 10km. The dash warnings had shown no change. A short message flashed up re regen in progress and scrolled over to the screen that gives the full readout. It stayed on for 10k and then gone. For some reason even though when I picked the car up the odometer readings were the same, as I drove it the tank seems to have enlarged itself by about 60kms worth of fuel. Interesting. Not the first time this has happened when it has been dropped off the dealer. So sorry fellers. Can't help out. My dealer didn't change anything. Or couldn't. Maybe someone else will get lucky.

Comment

Seems like the roll out is somewhat of a complicated confused mess ?

I have not heard any info about our Prado, no idea what they have planned

looking at one of the stages of warning, drive for 30mins above 60km/h, that in it self would be putting me off buying one and what if your deep in low range county will a forced burn at idle clear it ?

Comment

I haven't heard anything at all about my Prado either, I did read somewhere that the update is more involved than a Tuna but as I thought it was the same engine I have no idea why. I will be having my last capped service in a couple of weeks so it will be interesting to see what the dealer says about it.
        As for your concerns about it clearing I suppose the only way to tell what is happening is to monitor the exhaust temperatures etc, as far as I know nobody has posted any information from a failing vehicle? If the system is working properly then providing the temperature of the DPF gets hot enough for long enough then there shouldn't be any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnLynn View Post
          I haven't heard anything at all about my Prado either, I did read somewhere that the update is more involved than a Tuna but as I thought it was the same engine I have no idea why. I will be having my last capped service in a couple of weeks so it will be interesting to see what the dealer says about it.
          As for your concerns about it clearing I suppose the only way to tell what is happening is to monitor the exhaust temperatures etc, as far as I know nobody has posted any information from a failing vehicle? If the system is working properly then providing the temperature of the DPF gets hot enough for long enough then there shouldn't be any issues.
          I guess monitoring is an option but not what I signed up for, had we known of these needing special attention I doubt we would have purchased it.

It all just seems like a lot of hard work for what ?
          Pre Toyota DPF or Petrol seem to be very appealing
          Surly they have breached consumer law adding all this to the mix now. I have to drive it for 30 mins at 60+km/h when it has a fit ?

Letter arrived today looks the same as posted here it just has Prado added to the heading in front of Hilux and Fortuna

Also has option for button to be added

Comment

If the button is only an option I'd be getting the button. That's your regen of last resort.

Comment

Service tomorrow...had all the updates and still have the odd smoke...will let ya know what they say

Comment

same here Rompin , all updates done but still smokin. its going back in today for a DPF study , takes a couple of hours apparently.
                2016 GX , in White

Comment

Is it better to get a scan gauge II instead of the button? With the scan gauge you can trigger a DPF burn, as well as monitor various temps, eg auto trans fluid, water temp, DPF % & DPF temp. Plus the benefit of it providing fault codes & perhaps clearing them. I don't know which is cheaper the button or the SGII. Not trying to be a smart-rz, just asking....

Others will know better than me, but does the button only trigger a DPF burn, or does it do/monitor other things as the SGII does? I used my SG to trigger burns every tank full (I've also a 45lt sub tank so 125 lts on board). This was in addition to the car's normal burn pattern.

BTW, since the latest DPF fix, mine seems to do a burn every 250-ish km.

Comment

• Spook1205
                    Spook1205 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    SG2 is awesome and worth every dollar.
                    Is always there with info and basic functions an everyday driver could need.
                    To have particulate % and EGT2 there fore every burn is great insurance to pick up any issues as they initially start to happen.
                    Mine only is ever unplugged to put actual scantool on it.
                    That’s what I like about the SG2

From what I have read on the Prado forum the button only works if the DPF warning is active. I think this would mean that you cant just trigger a regen when you feel like it.
                  I think the cheapest and IMHO the best way is to use torque pro. An OBD blue tooth adapter cost me £3 (in the UK) and even if you don't have an android phone you could easily get an old one. The "pro" version of torque costs bout £5 although if you buy a Chinese adapter they usually give you a pirated version. I prefer to buy torque as it is such a small amount and is being steadily developed.

I got my "letter" yesterday on the very day that the Prado was having it's last capped service so the dealer was able to do the update at the same time. It went in at 66% soot and came out at 2% so they must have done something. I am monitoring what happens now, at the moment the % is building up slowly, perhaps more slowly than before but it is too early to tell. The back pressure appears to be less as well but I need to do more Kms to be sure. I will try to post a before and after graph once it does a regen.

Comment

Spook1205 mine was assessed as needing a new DPF today , they did a forced burn last week at the service and today it was back up to 87% after only 60klm travelled. some sort of blockage.
                    2016 GX , in White

Comment

• Spook1205
                      Spook1205 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It regularly does short trips between regens on the new tune. Often builds quickly and recalculate too.
                      Hopefully they looked at temps.
                      But a new DPF is always good to have.
                      I have hit 130,000 kms now without issues. Temps still crank and burns down nicely.

Hi Spook. Mine has had the upgrade for a while now. I put it in when I got the letter thinking it was a further upgrade, but nothing changed. I know another person who had the upgade done on the letter and was told it was exactly the same as mine, no lights, just a dashboard sign. Mine regenerates every 200k on the dot. Although according to the dashboard it drinks fuel during the regen, about 20 k or so after it finishes fuel economy and range are back to where they were prior to the regen. So it's better than it was before. Cheers

Comment

Well after having the lastest update / button added it’s averaging 1-1.5lts less fuel usage per 100.

Thats measured over about 250lts of fuel @11.4 opposed to it creeping up to 12.5-13 about a year ago and staying there

the million dollar question is are they fixed this time ?
                      Only time will tell

Comment

For those who may not know, a Class Action has been lodged against Toyota re their DPFs. Wonder if similar will eventually happen for Timing Chains & Gearboxes?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2019-08-...ssues/10821680

Comment

despite all the publicity i doubt anything will happen , our consumer laws are too weak and tribunals usually take the side of the wrongdoer.
                          2016 GX , in White

Comment

Yep. Seems those with more money win. At least its bad publicity. Might make Toyota take complaints more serious, given the recent bad results for Range Rover & Mitsubishi. Its interesting...

Comment

Working...
                            X