Turbo Issues

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Turbo Issues

During my weekend trip the turbo in my Fortuner (GXL 2016 Auto with 96,000kms) started becoming really noisy especially under acceleration or load (going up hill). It is a whistling sound that got progressively worse.

I do look after my car, don't tow, mostly only me in the car so there is never really any big load on the motor. I do plenty of open road driving and always warm up the car before driving as well as cool down for couple of mins before turning off so I do not believe it is a driver issue.

I just came back from Toyota and they confirmed turbo is done and needs to be replaced, under warranty phew!!!

Wowsers, that and the DPF, you aren't having a lot of luck! I'm glad Toyota are looking after you.
    I've had no such issues on my 15 GX with 53K k's on the clock, hopefully it stays that way.

Comment

Yes even Toyota guys said the same thing but I must say they have been great. I've done so much with this car (Simpson twice, Hey River, 20+ trips to the Vic High Country and no problems. It performs flawlessly and I hope this will be it.

Comment

There have been a small handful of owners needing new turbos , usually its the fins on the compressor wheel straightening out and rubbing on the housing. let us know how it goes and / or if you can take pictures of the compressor wheel
        2016 GX , in White

Comment

Thanks White One. I will see if Toyota boys can take some photos so we can share it with others. They make hundreds of thousands of these turbos each year to cover Fortuner's, Prado's and Hilux's so I guess I have been unlucky to score one of the faulty ones.

Comment

they are known to be a bit weak anyway , its the first thing that engine tuners replace when modifying a 1GD engine. Ive seen them for sale on Thai sites quite cheap < $500 , but by the time they get here they are thousands!!
            2016 GX , in White

Comment

This one should be good for another 100k hopefully!

Comment

Turbo replaced under warranty and car back to normal. I asked if the replacement was a revised part but Toyota said it is the same.

Comment

Working...
                X