Eco Vs power mode in Auto...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Eco Vs power mode in Auto...

With my hour commute each way to/from work, I often think and play around with the car and my driving style...... I get bored with not much to see at midnight. Lol.
    What makes the power mode so different? Is it just mapping? Is it transmission shift point changes? Is it something to do with turbo pressure?
    My thoughts are its all controlled thru the computer and throttle position feedback loop and gives no power gains. The transmission shifts at different points to allow the engine to rev more......

Any body have thoughts???

(I prefer to drive in normal mode and use the paddles as needed)

I think it's throttle mapping of the ECU. On Power Mode for example, we can ref up higher before gear starts shifting 👍

The shift pedals... Gets a 👎👎👎 from me.. I would rather leave it at auto and focus on driving & looking for obstacles, instead of focus on getting my shifting to work as I want it to -- or get a real manual transmission if I really want manual shifting,

Comment

I've been conducting a fuel economy test between normal vs eco vs power modes. So far there is bugger all difference between the eco and normal modes in terms of fuel use but definitely reminds me more of my old Surf in eco mode. Yet to do a tank on power mode.

Comment

I've driven in Eco mode and it feels almost non-drivable like someone is holding onto the car.
        its a terrible mode.

Comment

Originally posted by RALF View Post
          I've driven in Eco mode and it feels almost non-drivable like someone is holding onto the car.
          its a terrible mode.
          You get used to it. Im sure eco just reduces the amount of throttle available, so foot to the floor is only 75% instead of full throttle. It does make it more economical because its harder to rev it up. Im almost always driving in eco now

Comment

Originally posted by deeman111 View Post

You get used to it. Im sure eco just reduces the amount of throttle available, so foot to the floor is only 75% instead of full throttle. It does make it more economical because its harder to rev it up. Im almost always driving in eco now
            Do the manual transmission models have it?

Comment

Originally posted by RALF View Post

Do the manual transmission models have it?
              They sure do and I always drive in Eco mode. First tank (only just filled up) I averaged 9.38L/100 with about a mix of 75% HEAVY stop start and 25% highway. I have told swmbo that she is not to use the Power button as is a completely different car and we don't need the speeding fines hat will come with it! I will be using it when towing the caravan up Cunninghams Gap though,

When we were sold the car we were told the Eco and power buttons use a different engine mapping and even adjusts how the engine runs the alternator and air conditioner.

BJ.

Comment

Originally posted by Bmhdg1976 View Post

They sure do and I always drive in Eco mode. First tank (only just filled up) I averaged 9.38L/100 with about a mix of 75% HEAVY stop start and 25% highway. I have told swmbo that she is not to use the Power button as is a completely different car and we don't need the speeding fines hat will come with it! I will be using it when towing the caravan up Cunninghams Gap though,

When we were sold the car we were told the Eco and power buttons use a different engine mapping and even adjusts how the engine runs the alternator and air conditioner.

BJ.
                Hahaha.
                Wow!! There you go:
                It sounds like your dealer really knew their stuff about the engine/trans.
                Personany I think you're right as far as performance goes but having a zippy V6 prior to the Fortuner makes me want to hit that Power switch more often than not.
                i live just off the freeway in the Adelaide hills and there'a only 2 sets of traffic lights between home and work within 35km of driving so she gets a nice run each working day.
                ;-)

Comment

i have a manual and also run a scangauge, it wont hit full boost till later in the rev range on eco. where as power will hit max boost almost instantanously

Comment

great little addition for monitoring vitals

Comment

• RALF
                      RALF commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Was it expensive and is it easy to install?

Originally posted by lufkin View Post
                    great little addition for monitoring vitals
                    Nice and neat... Does the plug below the steering wheel protrude much? I have long legs and would pi$$ me off if my legs hit it each time I got in and out. I have thought about one, but unsure if can justify the need or if would just be another gadget.

BJ

Comment

Ralph i got it at cost price from inlaw whos a autoelectrician. was $199 and it literally just plugs in. install time = 1 beer. $199 may seem like a bit to some but when you see how many things it can report it easily pays for itself and not having to run sensors anymore or cables is a plus

Comment

Bmhdg1976. I wouldnt even know it was there if i hadnt installed it myself. My wife is tall and she didnt even know the plug was there. You should be fine

Comment

Bmhdg1976. I wouldnt even know it was there if i hadnt installed it myself. My wife is tall and she didnt even know the plug was there. You should be fine
                          Cheers for that.
                          I may consider it still.

BJ

Comment

Ralph i got it at cost price from inlaw whos a autoelectrician. was $199 and it literally just plugs in. install time = 1 beer. $199 may seem like a bit to some but when you see how many things it can report it easily pays for itself and not having to run sensors anymore or cables is a plus
                            Awesome thanks!

Comment

Working...
                            X