1GD engine technical diagrams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1GD engine technical diagrams

I have also posted these up on the FB site , making them easy to refer to . The good thing is that they have now been updated to cover the MY2020 engines and some common items to be aware of.

https://toyota-club.net/files/faq/15...engine_eng.htm

2016 GX , in White

Interesting to note the TSB's mentioned in the technical diagram; I had not heard of the glow plug or camshaft issue. I wonder if anyone in Australia has had these issues?

Comment

yes , ive seen the camshaft and glow plug issues in Oz, they are not seen very often though. I'm across the Hilux and Prado pages as well and its not a common thing like the timing chains , DPF , EGR , water pump issues. The other problem is that nobody ever gives feedback on what the dealer finds or replaces , so who knows what the real numbers are. All we can do on this site ig give members a heads up
      2016 GX , in White

Comment

White One; can I ask what the water pump issues are, or lead to. A couple of times my coolant levels were low, needing to be topped up.

Two weeks ago at my service/rego check, my mechanic noticed coolant stains around the water pump, saying the pump be changed before any next big trip. As always, any help/advice is appreciated.

Comment

the water pump has a seal on the shaft , as per this example - https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C...l3Oc1sLHcCq4SM when this seal loses its tension or wears out , coolant will seep out of the hole underneath. As your mechanic has mentioned it means the pump needs changing , as the seal itself is generally not replaceable. Some dealers have been doing them out of warranty . An updated design pump was fitted to later production runs , so the pumps will last longer. They normally last about 200,000k to my knowledge.
          2016 GX , in White

Comment

as for the EGR cooler - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EXO85d2eEOw its basically a small radiator , and when it leaks you lose some coolant over time. There is no visible sign of this leak except for the obvious lower level of coolant in the tank. This is why it pays to check these things regularly , unless you're like my missus who wouldnt even bother to check lol. EGRs were also being replaced under goodwill and were a modified design in later models.
            2016 GX , in White

Comment

I should add , that on my car ive fitted a contactless water level sensor to the coolant tank , just on the chance that if i ever develop a coolant leak down the track , then i will have early warning. These sensors are easy to find - https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Non-cont...UAAOSwllVfGC67 . Its simply wired to a 12v flashing LED on the dash. when it detects coolant loss it sends 12v to the dash LED. couldnt be simpler.
              Click image for larger version

Name:	contactless water level sensor.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	1.38 MB
ID:	20994
              2016 GX , in White

Comment

Hmm, a wise investment / piece of mind thing. How'd you fix it to the tank, double sided tape, epoxey glue?

I've 98,000kms on the clock, but noticed the fluid level was a bit low about 6 months ago. So a bit off the 200,000kms mark.

As for my Toyota dealer, I can't see them replacing anything out of warranty.

They wouldn't even admit to problems when I'd replicate my car issues while driving one of their demo Fortuners with a technician beside me. They always came back with, "you've done this or that to your car". While that's true, how could I produce the same issue in their stock demo car, if the problem wasn't with the car. Luckily for me that sort of wording is on the invoice they gave me at that time.

Comment

Originally posted by Anthony View Post
                  Hmm, a wise investment / piece of mind thing. How'd you fix it to the tank, double sided tape, epoxey glue?
                  its a strong weatherproof double sided tape , used for outdoor signage. Since then ive added a cable tie around it. The sensor itself separates from the plastic holder if it needs to be removed for any reason.

I know what you mean about the dealers , some are very responsive and follow the Tech Service Bulletins , and others dont give a damn and claim the TSB's dont even exist.

2016 GX , in White

Comment

Thanks, appreciate it.

Comment

Working...
                    X