No announcement yet.

Installing catch can

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What brand was that one they sourced for you?

Comment

Hi all, just installed a Terratuff SEPR8R catch can, love the build quality, billet aluminum, washable filter, hoses are formed to shape- all fittings included, instructions are easy with pictures.
      A bit exy on price but great long term quality. will post again for how I see it perform after about 3 months (maybe 7000km).

Comment

Sounds like a great purchase. I am happy I spent a bit more to get an aluminium catch can and the thick gunk that it 'filters' out is quite impressive - just think of all those sensors and the turbo and inlet manifold remaining free of soot.... Maybe show us how much gets captured when you check it at 7000km? I keep all my gunk in a glass on my garage bench as a marker of success. Will need a second glass soon...

Comment

Hi Guys,

I have to say that I was sceptical about getting a catch can and waited and done some more reading about one.
          Well In the end I decided to get one and installed it after my 30k service was done, to be precise the odometer reading was 29147ks.

I though that I would have a look on the weekend just out of curiosity and boy was I stunned, I don't know if this is normal but I had
          1/3 of the can of sludge in it, it was a mixture of oil and water.

Oh my odometer reading is 30550 ks so your looking at 1403 km with the catch can. I would say 10% was hwy driving and the rest city.

Should I be concerned or it this something normal to expect, sorry I never had a diesel before and don't know what to expect :-)

Comment

• Lowey99
            Lowey99 commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi Miki,
            From what i have seen what you have is pretty standard for the driving you do. It seems the more city (stop-start) the higher the sludge (oil & Condensation) component. I find this similar to mine, as my wife drives it to and from work. I just did 1,000k of off-road/towing work and found more of just oil based deposits.
            Cheers

My catchcan total collected oil / water / particulate sludge after 30000km

Comment

I've a Provent 200 catch can, & also carry a spare filter for it. But if turn to crap (my luck of course), does anyone know if its possible to clean a clogged filter, just to get buy until a new one is installed.

Comment

I also have the Provent , i soaked filter with petrol , flushed with brake cleaner then dried with compressed air , came fairly clean . Its only at 37,000 now and i'll wash it out every 20k . I dont know if it ruins the filter or if there is a better way but this works so far. Its a bit ridiculous charging $70 for a replacement filter !!
              2016 GX , in White

Comment

The filters are supposed to last for something like 50000k, so unless something goes wrong with the motor suddenly you shouldn't be caught out with the filter.
                Mine is approaching 40000k & the oil in the filter is filling up the filter gauze, but last time i emptied it, i just wrapped the filter in paper towel & sqeezed it to get some of the oil out of it.
                Suppose that if you did get caught with a blocked filter, you could just remove it till you got the new element in. No worse of than original.
                Silverfox

Comment

With the spare I'll not got caught out but you never know. I've only 13000 on the catch can & plan on draining it over the weekend just to check out what's there. Agree $70 is costly, but at maybe one filter every 1½ to 2 yrs evens out somewhat.

As always, appreciate the advice.

Comment

Just drained my catch can after 15,325kms, / 8 months, & got about 100ml of sludge with a minor amount of water condensation, on 98% suburban driving, with the rest Hwy.

Comment

Hey Anthony,
                      I have done about 30000 with my catch can (also mainly driving in town) and I'm at about 160-180ml sludge and oil residue - I think I am very glad to have the catch can.

Comment

G'day johton; I also had an oil cooler put in. Having things shoved under the bonnet for preventative insurance may cost doe for now, but its cheaper than paying for parts that might go bang on a remote trip.

Comment

Working...
                        X