any Scan guage reccommendations ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• any Scan guage reccommendations ?

Im thinking about getting one of these - http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/251627828...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT or a similar unit. This car is my first diesel so i'm trying to learn about which engine parameters are important to monitor and which arent.

I'm thinking -
    Engine Temp
    Exhaust Gas temp
    Fault codes
    Boost
    Fuel Pressure

can anybody add any extra info / experience with these or similar units? ta
    2016 GX , in White

Not exactly a scan gauge, but here's what I'm monitoring

Comment

ok , i have to ask , how do you do that ? is it a wireless OBD 2 dongle connected to your media player?
      does the gearbox have provison for TC and sump temps?
      is the CACT temperature measuring inside the DPF ?
      2016 GX , in White

Comment

OBD2 to my head unit running Torque app from the Play Store.

​​​​​The Trans Temp and Convertor temps are custom PIDs. The 4Runner PIDs seem to correspond almost perfectly to the Fortuner.

CACT is post intercooler air temps. Watching this and the pre-intercooler temps tells me the intercooler is effective.

EGTB1S1 and S2 tell me when the car is doing a DPF regen

Comment

I have a scanguage2. absolutly love it

Comment

can you possibly list all the items you are monitoring , and if there is something you want to monitor but cannot ?
            2016 GX , in White

Comment

Originally posted by White One View Post
              can you possibly list all the items you are monitoring , and if there is something you want to monitor but cannot ?
              the things I monitor are water temp, voltage, boost and engine load. however it can monitor so much more. Ive added a pic of some of the stuff it can do. I also find its average fuel and fual usage is far more accurate then the cars own trip meter. i rely on my scanguage over the cars instruments any day of the week

Comment

thanks , thats awesome.
                one more question - can scanguage be set to alarm if certain limits are reached ? for example a hose bursts and coolant is lost , and engine temp rises suddenly? I'm installing an Engine Watchdog TM2 anyway , but if the scanguage can do the same job then why not use it?
                2016 GX , in White

Comment

it has no alarm, but as i have mine mounted where the other gauges are anyway, i find im constantly checking them anyway, i would probably notice an abnormailty before an alarm anyway haha

Comment

i just watch the water temp. Its funny how that can rise and fall and the cars stock temp gauge doesnt move at all, i find it very informative when towing. watching boost, engine load and water temp

Comment

thanks. I'd probably notice a sudden change also , but the other half wouldnt , hence the engine watchdog as a backup
                      2016 GX , in White

Comment

Originally posted by White One View Post
                        but the other half wouldnt
                        haha i know that pain

Comment

Maybe transmission temps especially if you are doing a fair amount of sand driving
                          Fortuner Forum Default Signature!

Comment

I have just got my $25 ELM327 OBD2 reader. If works on WiFi so i can connect to it with my android phone and computer easily. i have been using two Apps called "Piston" and Torque" on my phone. So far i have some handy info and all on my phone. I haven't worked out how to get EGTs and i am also keen to monitor the DFP sensors that measure differential pressures that might indicate the filters health. has anyone got more info about how to do this?

Comment

I've ordered an EDS (engine data scan) unit from 4WD Super Centre, also available from Berrima Diesel. I couldn't go past the price offered by the Super Centre compared to Berrima Diesel, I've no affiliation to either one.

I believe it gives similar monitoring & fault clearing to the Scan Gauge 11. Will let you know who it goes once its installed. Mates have used both the Scan Gauge 11 & EDS & are happy with what they provide.

Comment

Working...
                              X