Dealer using 15W-40 oil.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dealer using 15W-40 oil.

I've had 2 services from my local dealer and noticed that on both occasions they have used 15W-40 oil. Do they actually know that our engines specify 0W-30? I understand that this oil is quite thin,but what I don't understand is that they are using a higher viscosity oil on a modern low emission diesel engine with DPF. I should ask them on my 3rd service. I do about 1250 kms per week, and so far no issues with the TUNA whatsoever. I don't even notice the DPF burns anymore.

did they tell you that they were using 15W-40 or is it on the invoice? maybe its misprinted invoice ? its not just the viscosity of the oil its the detergent / ash / sulphur contents which are important. If you are ever in doubt you can get an independant DNA analysis done which can tell you everything about the oil plus what is happening within the engine.
    2016 GX , in White

Comment

It may be OK to use 15W-40 oil provided it conforms to the specifications as stipulated in your owners manual. You should find what the minimum performance specifications are recommended for that motor (ACEA & API etc). Then find out what oil they used & look up the specs & see if it's OK.
      It can be very confusing getting your head around what the specs mean but definitely worth the exercise as if the oil used is of lesser spec than that specified by Toyota you could be in trouble with your warranty if you have a problem with the motor in the future.
      Toyota dealers don't use a commercially available oil in their workshops, they get a special blend made up for them by Caltex. You can buy the "special" Toyota oil from a dealer if you want but the Havoline fully synthetic oils of the right spec are very similar to the Toyota blend.
      I also saw something on low viscosity oils recently on the Berrima Diesel facebook page.

Comment

The "Toyota" blends are just repacked Castrol oil by the way. Our GT86 club found that out ages ago. We had a good laugh about that. I will be servicing the Tuna past 100,000 kms myself so it will be using Penrite Oils in the future. They have the 5w-30 and 0w-30 recommended for the 1GDFTV. Because I use my Tuna for long distance driving with a lot of gear, I am looking for 10W-40 diesel blend specific for engines with DPF. Any suggestions??

I've done 25,000 kms in 3.5 months and the 1GD has loosened up quite nicely as it is now more responsive down low. I feel that the dealer oils come from the cheaper bottom end considering that they are profit oriented, they would drop the cheapest bulk oil that they can find in your car. At 6,500 kms, post service, I've always felt that the oil needs changing already. When you check you engine oil and run the oil between your fingers, you can feel that the oil has started to break down. I know there is a good chemical and scientific way to test this, but we always go with what our grandpa has taught us in terms of keeping your engines healthy. If you do distance driving with a heavy load, a higher viscosity oil should protect the engine better.

I am open to suggestions.

Comment

Originally posted by White One View Post
          did they tell you that they were using 15W-40 or is it on the invoice? maybe its misprinted invoice ? its not just the viscosity of the oil its the detergent / ash / sulphur contents which are important. If you are ever in doubt you can get an independant DNA analysis done which can tell you everything about the oil plus what is happening within the engine.
          I've had 2 service invoices already. and same 15W-40 shop oil $112 in their invoice. I would think they would take oil from the same drum for their toyota prius as well. Hahaha

Comment

keep those invoices as proof. that way if they ever say you used the wrong you can come back and say , NO - YOU guys used the wrong oil.
            2016 GX , in White

Comment

Toyota genuine oils are provided to dealers from Caltex. Oil for Toyota 86 is supplied to Toyota from Castrol as this is Subaru's prefered supplier. (the engine provider)

Comment

Working...
              X