Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Manual DPF regeneration using scanguage2 or OBD2 dongle

Hi All,

I've just finished experimenting with manual DPF regeneration with a friend who owns a Prado 2.8, see here for his post:

http://www.pradopoint.com.au/showthr...866#post574866

This procedure allows anyone with a scanguage or a $10 OBD2 dongle to perform a manual burn, just as a workshop would.

DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK.

To manually start a DPF burn:
    - In the android Torque application a custom button can be created for this command containing the OBD command data 30 29 06 01 01
    - In the ScanGauge a custom command/message can be added containing 3029060101

Note that page 255 of the Fortuner Owners Manual describes the manual regeneration procedure using a special button "if equipped". AFAIK, no Australian Fortuner / Hilux / Prado models are equipped with this button, but I believe the 200 and 70 series landcruisers may be. Nevertheless the manual describes when you would perform a manual burn (basically, if the "DPF full" warning is displayed). It also describes what to expect during the process. I highly recommend reading that advice, and only performing a burn under those circumstances. This could be extremely useful if you ever get the warning in the middle of nowhere.

EDIT: DPF Level Guage for SG2.

You can create a guage for SG2 or Torque to display the DPF accumulation level just as a workshop scan tool does.
    The details for SG2 are:

TXD: 07E02138
    RXF: 032104780000
    RXD: 4008
    MTH: 000200010000
    NAME: DPA (or whatever)

For Torque, I believe you can set the PID to 2138, and the equation to J*2. That's it.

The workshop scan tools describe the value as a percentage, but apparently the value can go up to 180% at least.
    At the completion of a manual burn, the value will be 6 or 8. I haven't had it enabled long enough to see how high it gets in normal use before an regular active regeneration occurs.

Dave
    Last edited by DaveC; 27-08-2017, 08:30 PM.

Why risk it when you can buy the FOXWELL NT510 (toyota DPF) specific diagnostic tool? It will do everything that you need to trouble shoot your 2.8 DPF. It has a free online update and it costs $270.

Comment

• mrh460
      mrh460 commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't know anything about these, but I note that the Foxwell website says that the software does not include Australian models.

Thanks for putting that up but i have one question , regarding Scanguage 2 -

do i just put those numbers in and program them to one specific spare button? are they any other numbers required like TXD RXD MTH etc?
    2016 GX , in White

Comment

White One, to use the scanguage, you use the "Custom commands" feature, not an 'XGuage'. This is described on page 50 of the manual, which you can find here:

https://www.scangauge.com/support/user-manuals/

Dave

Comment

Great find. I've setup the button on my head unit, so effectively I now have a manual DPF burn button :-)

I have the ECU update on mine and it's always done a burn every 300km for about 20-30km (it goes for longer if you interrupt it). Keen to know if the Fortuner will still do a 300km burn even after initiating a manual burn.

Comment

Awesome! something to consider before doing oil changes.

Comment

Originally posted by dandin View Post
            Keen to know if the Fortuner will still do a 300km burn even after initiating a manual burn.
            Still not sure on that. Initial observations (on the prado) suggest it may not make a difference
            We are hoping to make a guage for scanguage2/torque that will show DPF %. Once that's done I can keep better track of it, and maybe try a manual burn just before it would have done one anyway and see if it makes a difference.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
              Still not sure on that. Initial observations (on the prado) suggest it may not make a difference
              We are hoping to make a guage for scanguage2/torque that will show DPF %. Once that's done I can keep better track of it, and maybe try a manual burn just before it would have done one anyway and see if it makes a difference.
              Looking forward to getting the DPF%. The data is there, Techstream shows it. Again, awesome find and thanks for sharing.

Comment

I've updated the first post with details for creating a DPF % guage.

Dave

Comment

Thanks again , how on earth do you work out this stuff?
                  2016 GX , in White

Comment

Originally posted by White One View Post
                    Thanks again , how on earth do you work out this stuff?
                    It was done by logging the traffic on the CAN bus whilst a workshop scan tool (not sure what brand it was, not toyota) is connected.
                    The protocol is fairly simple. Once you identify the request and response packets, there are guides that describe how to make SG2 and Torque specifications to generate the same traffic.

Dave

Comment

Awesome find again! Thanks for sharing DaveC

Comment

You've managed to delete the information about manual DPF generation when you edited your original post. I know you've linked to Prado Point, but easier just to have it here.

To manually start a DPF burn:
                        - In the android Torque application a custom button can be created for this command containing the OBD command data 30 29 06 01 01
                        - In the ScanGauge a custom command/message can be added containing 3029060101
                        Oh and just thinking out loud, do you think maybe that the equation should just be "J" and not "J*2"? If you remove the multiplication by 2, the upper limit becomes 90% and the increments only go up by 1%. I have set mine up just to "J". Makes more sense, IMHO.

Comment

Hi Dandin,
                          Not sure I ever had the instructions in the first post, but I've added them now.
                          The 2x multiplication is to match the value seen on the commercial scan tools.
                          According to a post on pradopoint, 0-100% is the normal operating range, above 120% and you get a warning, 180% and you enter limp mode. Not sure how accurate this information is though, I think its based on a discussion with toyota, so I assume their software (techstream?) reports the 2x figures as well.
                          You are right that it probably makes more sense without the multiplier (and no precision is lost), so do it that way if you prefer. To do this on SG2, the MTH would become 000100010000.

Dave

Comment

HI DaveC, good information. I understand you intercepted the data going to/from the scantool to get this, but to me it just makes more sense this way. I'm sure Toyota in their infinite wisdom have a reason for it being multiplied by 2 so I'll just have both (one that isn't multiplied and one that is).

Also, that information you have posted above, about 0-100% being normal and anything over 100-120% is a problem matches up nicely with the work the Subaru guys have been doing with disecting the DPF information in their Diesel's. See the first picture of this page https://subdiesel.wordpress.com/ecu-...pf-management/
                            The rest of the page is also good reading I guess.
                            Last edited by dandin; 28-08-2017, 07:13 AM.

Comment

Working...
                            X