No announcement yet.

Manual DPF regeneration using scanguage2 or OBD2 dongle

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi guys, I know this is an old post but you can look at DPF by using a multi metre or scope on middle wire of the DPF pressure sensor.
    after burn off they read about .8v
    ive seen Subaru be as low as .6v
    if checking voltage and it rises quickly when accelerating it's pretty blocked.
    You don't need a scan tool to look at values as you can go straight to sensor.
    cheers, Spook

Comment

Hi Luke , John here , welcome to the club. glad to meet you at work today i was quite busy otherwise would have talked more.

Middle wire , thats the Blue one ,Pin 2 , marked in the diagrams as PEX . Good information , providing the sensor readings can be trusted then that should be a good way of determining backpressure . So far though, we have been told that the burn cycles are determined by the ECU and have no relation to the pressure sensor whatsoever. The pressure sensor only brings up the dash light . So even if you trigger a manual burn the ECU still does its predetermined burn. I run an occaisonal manual burn myself now that i know how to do it.

I dont know if that is the case or there is more to it but happy to learn though.
      2016 GX , in White

Comment

Hi All,

Since making the scanguage gauge, I've noticed the burn always happens when the gauge gets to 100%. It does this, as mentioned everywhere, after approx ~300klms.
        If you do a manual burn, when the gauge is high, say 80%, immediately as you start the burn, the gauge jumps to 100%, then steadily decreases during the burn until it stops at 6-8%. It will then not do another burn until it again reaches 100%. At least this is my observation and that of my Friends prado. So it seems you *can* prevent an auto burn by performing manual burns at the right time.

Dave

Comment

• dandin
          dandin commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, exactly the same experience here. The ECU will commence a DPF burn every time the gauge gets to 100% .

Hi John, thanks for chatting and helping me out. Fraser was fantastic!
        its the middle wire and can be trusted because it's what the ECU reads to determine how blocked the DPF is. The ECU then establishes a % based on the sensor voltage value.
        After a burn they read .8v I will get around to putting a voltmeter on it and then I can establish what sensor voltage it reaches to then initiate a burn.
        I know most people use scan data to determine values. I teach (Auto Tafe teacher) and use sensor data because it's really the only true live data, everything else on a scan tool is perceived live data.
        For a student to see sensor values on a scope is a great visual tool for learning and understanding of how engine management system makes decisions on fuel and timing mapping.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
          Hi All,

To manually start a DPF burn:
          - In the android Torque application a custom button can be created for this command containing the OBD command data 30 29 06 01 01
          - In the ScanGauge a custom command/message can be added containing 3029060101

For Torque, I believe you can set the PID to 2138, and the equation to J*2. That's it.

Dave
          Hey Dave thanks for this. I used Torque to get a custom PID to show the accumulation %. But how do you setup a custom button in Torque for the manual burn? Is it in the Custom PID interface? ooops nevermind - I found the "add button" display type!

P.S. I can confirm the ELM327 OBD2 wifi ECU dongle working with Torque Pro on a 2018 Hilux SR 2.8 D4D.

Ardash
          Last edited by HiluxSuncamper; 23-05-2018, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• Kiat
            Kiat commented
            Editing a comment
            HI Ardash, to get the manual button, do it from Torque Pro dashboard directly, Add Display then select Push Button and enter the code you want.

It's probably been written somewhere before but is there a comparable app for iOS?

Comment

Hi guys,

can an anyone recommend a good iOS app and Bluetooth dongle for carrying out obd2 tasks?

also can anyone confirm if the eds scanner is programmable (the one TVs Berrima diesel and 4wd super store sell) like a scangauge?

Comment

• Silverfox1111
              Silverfox1111 commented
              Editing a comment
              The eds unit is not programable & has less functions than a scangauge.
              Silverfox

dont buy the EDS its just a cut down version of the S2 and nowhere as useful. The fact that BuryMyDiesel sells it speaks volumes
            2016 GX , in White

Comment

Originally posted by Merman View Post
              Hi guys,

can an anyone recommend a good iOS app and Bluetooth dongle for carrying out obd2 tasks?

also can anyone confirm if the eds scanner is programmable (the one TVs Berrima diesel and 4wd super store sell) like a scangauge?
              I've had a good run with a $20 dongle and free IOS app - see post 37 on here https://www.pradopoint.com.au/forum/...bd-tools/page3

Comment

I monitored the DPF gauge (custom pid as per post #1) during my trip to work, which is about 30km, 1/3 is rural road avg 50-60km/h and 2/3 on highway avg 80-100km/h, I noticed the DPF value started at 58 and climbed to 62 and the end of the trip, Which seems to me no passive-regen happened. If under that kind of daily run cannot trigger passive regen, that means it's purely relying on active regen and I am not feeling very comfortable about it.

Comment

• variable
                  variable commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Spook1205, I haven't been monitored it closely but I assume that there is no need for highway driving as long as you drive for long enough. Also, during an active regen lets say from 100% to 95% and I turn off the car, the next regen won't happen until it goes back to 100%, would it be wiser for Toyota update ECU to continue to burn to 0% on subsequent drives? Surely this is not going to be great if you keep driving for 5 min short trips but it works for me cos sometimes it reaches 100% at the last 2 mins of my driving home, so I can do a full regen when I go to work the next morning.

Also I noticed the active regen does not burn to 0%, it stopped regen around 2%~6%.

• JohnLynn
                  JohnLynn commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If you stop the engine during a regen it will start again from where it left off once the engine has reached normal running temperature. At least that is how my Prado works, if you get the % down as low as 2 you have done very well as the usual figure is 6-8% when the DPF temperature falls quickly back to normal.
                  The exception to this is if you leave the engine on fast tickover with the vehicle stopped, then the % can fall further.
                  Again all this behaviour is from my Prado which has not had the most recent update, in fact I don't think it is actually released yet, the Tuna seems to be ahead in that respect. No doubt that Spook will fill us in with the details.

• variable
                  variable commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I noticed white smoke from my car during take-off on a stop sign while DPF was regenerating, is that normal?

a small amount of white smoke is considered normal , according to the owners manual . But reading posts on other forums and FB , drivers have been warned by police and EPA for even these small amounts of smoke , which couldnt be seen in rear view mirror.
                2016 GX , in White

Comment

Interesting police & EPA are warning drivers. Surely its gotta be for the clouds of white smoke & not just a puff on take off. Does anyone know for sure?

I'd hate to see someone get booked for a little puff of smoke, especially as its mentioned in the owner's manual.

Comment

Working...
                  X