Spook1205 commented
      Editing a comment
      Awesome find!
      Pics are great.
      They should of released this in all vehicles from new

• dandin
      dandin commented
      Editing a comment
      Fluke find. I was trying to find the Toyota 1GD info website. I typed the following keywords into google.com.au "1gd ftv dpf info" and it was second item in the result list.

I think Toyota Australia setup an AWS S3 bucket to upload a bunch of stuff and left that open to the public... I'll try to see if there's anything else useful in that S3 bucket.

• Nice find!

BTW, I've had the latest update and asked Toyota to enable "custom mode", and yet I still do not get the in-progress indicator as described in that document (and in the service campaign mailout). I have a 2015 GX, perhaps the custom mode only applies to these June 2018+ models?? Does the indicator work for anyone else?

Dave

PS. It's nice that this 'custom' mode now also permits people with a button to do a burn without it already being overfull, and they acknowledge its utility when driving offroad in grass etc. Pity they didnt do all this from the start

Comment

• dandin
      dandin commented
      Editing a comment
      Werribee Toyota tried to enable custom mode on my 2016 GX and failed. Told me they couldn't do it. When my car goes in for the timing chain replacement I will ask again.

I don't particularly mind if I have it or not since I have Torque available on my head unit but it's nice to know its there.

• DaveC
      DaveC commented
      Editing a comment
      Well at least they're honest
      I also have a scanguage which I use to monitor DPF, so no biggie. Just puzzled why it doesn't work as described.

• dandin
      dandin commented
      Editing a comment
      You call it honest, I'd call it something else :P

• Hi Team

'15 Crusade and Custom Mode was enabled successfully. Stays on message screen until burn complete. Took them two attempts to enable it.

Comment

• Bushwalker8
      Bushwalker8 commented
      Editing a comment
      Are you now able to initiate a manual burn at less than 156%?

• Bushwalker8 I didn't have a manual burn button installed. I have had one DPF replaced, the latest round of software updates and custom DPF Mode enabled. It burns now every 250km (ish).

Comment

• If you are thinking of dumping the diesel to go petrol just think that the Peugeot 508 is the first car in Australia to introduce a PPF!

Yes a Petrol particulate filter.

Comment

• dandin
        dandin commented
        Editing a comment
        None of the Fortuners sold in Vietnam, Thaliand, Indonesia, India and The Philippines have a DPF. No DPF, no issues.

• variable
        variable commented
        Editing a comment
        Sorry I must be dumb, why does the 5th injector housing gets carbon up? Does combustion happen in the 5th injector housing? I thought it only carbons up if there is unclean combustion?

• White One
        White One commented
        Editing a comment
        the 5th sits in the exhaust manifold , therefore is subject to whatever soot comes out of the cylinders. this soot is captured by the DPF , so after the DPF the exhaust is quite clean. before the DPF its still a bit sooty

• here is a diagram showing the 5th -
      https://toyota-club.net/files/faq/15...engine_eng.htm
      2016 GX , in White

Comment

• Hi guys,
        Great thread and interesting discussion. So I’m thinking of buying a new GX fortuner. I’m told models after aug 19 now have the safety sense features (radar cruise, lane departure etc). Plus 5 yr warranty...
        But regarding dpf - from what I’m seeing is it simply the 5th injector housing getting build up of carbon, eventually blocking injector function and therefore can’t burn dpf, which blocks up and probably eventually would need replacing etc? Sorry if this has been made clear already..
        Does this seem to be the crux of the issue?
        Can it be managed by simply cleaning the housing at each service? Is that most likely to prevent the main issue dpf related with the 2.8l engine?
        Maybe I should wait and see if Toyota solve the issue with re design, but not sure if I can wait that long

Comment

• variable
          variable commented
          Editing a comment
          I still hard to believe that given so many DPF problem they would have thought to make sure correct oil is used?

• Spook1205
          Spook1205 commented
          Editing a comment
          DPF issues in Australia was really only an issue with Euro cars. So it would be an easy oversight if you only worked on Toyota

• Spook1205
          Spook1205 commented
          Editing a comment
          Plus the correct Toyota oil only came in 5ltr steel cans for quite a while, I believe it was imported from Japan. Eventually it was supplied in bulk so could be pumped from 44 gal drums.

• Anyone know which services have the ultrasonic clean of the 5th injector port? I’m up for a service, and I’ve done about 60k. Thanks.

Comment

• Bussa
          Bussa commented
          Editing a comment
          No idea if it has been officially included as an item in the service schedule.

Ask for it and you shall receive. Mine was just done at the 60k service upon request.

• Hi Bussa, did it cost extra? Or was it part of the service. Any chance to upload your service paperwork? Thanks.

Comment

• Bussa
          Bussa commented
          Editing a comment
          No extra. Its a design fault, and the machine they use was only recently provided by Toyota Japan.

Yep, i'll find it tonight for you

• Frazza attached is extract of the DPF service invoice. Simply states cleaning. I spoke with the dealer and they have the ultrasonic cleaning machine. Just ask for it
        Attached Files

Comment

• JohnLynn
          JohnLynn commented
          Editing a comment
          I hate to sound sceptical about Toyota "only recently getting a machine from Japan" because ultra sonic cleaning is regularly used by repair shops especially for small engine's carburettors. They can remove muck from tiny jets that would not be shifted perhaps by an airline. Many people have one at home, you can buy one here in the UK from Amazon for £25.
          Last edited by JohnLynn; 1 week ago.

• Let's what Toyota NZ says about "properly" fixing the issue.

Comment

• Ha ha well according to him "Toyota made changes to the construction of the DPF" so why haven't they recalled all our vehicles to eliminate the issue? I suspect his answers may be BS but I am hoping (perhaps forlornly) that more information may come from the class action.

Comment

• Time will tell if they actually did reconstruct the DPF or if what Toyota said in that reply is false. If there's no more DPF probs then they've fixed it. If the newer models of Prado Hilux & Fortuners still have DPF concerns then their reply was crap. But interestingly 'Toyota or an employee' has committed the alleged DPF fix in black & white, which if proven false in newer models, is another nail in Toyota's coffin re the class action.

Re JohnLynn's comment as to why they haven't issued a recall, I think its more a Risk Management thing. If they recalled all 3 types of cars & installed the 'newly' constructed DPF, it'd cost them $hit loads. So they take the odds to it, & only deal with or replace the DPF's that need it, as it'd cost them significantly less.

Comment

• There was a rumour running around facebook about some change to the 5th injector housing , so that might be what toyota NZ were referring to. Havent seen it for myself
              2016 GX , in White

Comment

• They have been saying it's fixed, when it was recalled for software update, I was told I was not going to have DPF problem after the software update, but then I just had my DPF replaced last month. Can't really trust what they say.

Comment

Working...
                X