Intake carbon clean

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Intake carbon clean

So I'm pretty new to turbo diesel engines, and want to get some advice on something that was offered to me via my last service at a Toyota dealer. They suggested an "Intake carbon clean". I delved a bit more on what it actually was, and from what I could understand it was just Liquimoly Diesel Engine Intake Decarb or similar sprayed into the intake.

Is it something that should be performed? Does it assist with the removal of residue/carbon etc? How effective is it?

If someome with some actual knowledge on the subject could help me out, that would be tops.

Thanks in advance
    RJS
    DIESEL ENGINE INTAKE DECARB | 3029 CLEANS & DECARBONISES ENGINE INTAKE AND UPPER CYLINDER • Remove contamination with minimal dismantling. • Pro-strength formula breaks down carbon and oil residues. • Restores engine power & performance. Liqui-Moly Diesel Engine Intake Decarb is a

I did mine with Toyota supplied intake cleaner after about 60000 kms and nothing came out the back.
    What you will find is less build up if any on newer models due to better oil and more cooled EGR.
    still worthwhile to do for piece of mind. However get it from Toyota because not sure if what you have will not contaminate the cat.
    just my thoughts....

Comment

Originally posted by Spook1205 View Post
      I did mine with Toyota supplied intake cleaner after about 60000 kms and nothing came out the back.
      thats because your DPF caught all the soot !!

actually it would be good to peek into our EGR system sometime to see how clean or dirty it is. I know on the 1KDs it can be really bad after 70,000klm and needs to be cleaned out manually

2016 GX , in White

Comment

does an oil catch can fix that problem or just prolong it?

Comment

I think it will just reduce the problem. The 1GDs EGR system is a lot better than the one on the 1KD , hence why it would be interesting to see what our manifolds look like at higher mileages. Catch cans dont stop all the oil particles , just reduce them.
          2016 GX , in White

Comment

• Spook1205
            Spook1205 commented
            Editing a comment
            The EGR going into intake is actually before the DPF, I personally believe the EGR cooler has made a huge difference with better oils being used.
            A catch can is good for piece of mind, not that much has come out of mine but glad I put it on.

Well I ran half a can of the Liqui Moly through after retrying the three bond. Both made no difference to the layer of sludge build up.

Comment

I had this done by Toyota at my last service. Toyota charge $90 including the Toyota branded stuff. Local mechanic was charging $70, so wasn't that much more. Seems like after spooks results it may have been for naught.....

Comment

• Spook1205
              Spook1205 commented
              Editing a comment
              Toyota use three bond, well in my area they do.
              But seriously I won’t be spending another $30 for a can of Liqui Moly. Save your money and buy fishing gear with it 👍
          Working...
          X