EGR clean after 90000 kms

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• EGR clean after 90000 kms

So for curiosity reasons I decided to look at EGR and throttle / intake after over 90000kms to see how much carbon / oil build up there was.
    EGR and pipe only had a mild layer fine soft carbon build up.
    Before clean....

After the clean it came up nice

Comment

The electronic throttle which is used for intake noise, smooth shut down and intake restriction on regen was reasonably clean just a build up of mainly oil on throttle butterfly. It cleaned up easily also with throttle body cleaner.

Comment

Now behind the electronic throttle things looked clean too. That is until I put finger into manifold around the intake bend and found oil and fluffy soot build up. This was only a few mm thick and really only on the bottom.
        Considering the kms this is not too bad and expected, a positive is it wasn’t baked hard. This I put down to the EGR having a decent cooler / heat exchanger.
        so I will start putting a Toyota intake cleaner in it every 10000 service and re inspect beginning of next year. If build up is worse I guess I will eventually pull manifold off and clean out.

Comment

So dumb question time... again from me!! Is the intake cleaner an additive put into the fuel tank, or must you strip down the throttle housing & use as a spray / wipe on?

Comment

• Spook1205
            Spook1205 commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s a run your vehicle and spray into the intake.
            What I used before came from a Toyota apprentice with what they use and it’s called three bond engine conditioner for Diesel engines. I still have a can but will try Liqui Moly
            http://www.liqui-moly.com.au/diesel-...e-decarb-2730/

• Spook1205
            Spook1205 commented
            Editing a comment
            Toyota actually sell their branded fuel additive, personally I’d rather only put the Toyota fuel additives into the tank.

This is the Toyota injector cleaner, apparently it’s wirth about $50

Comment

thats not too bad , considering you dont have a catch can either. I wonder if the catch can will make a difference or it may not be required on the 1GD ?
            2016 GX , in White

Comment

• Spook1205
              Spook1205 commented
              Editing a comment
              I have a cheaper catch can with a stainless filter, I don’t get a lot out of it and obviously it doesn’t do a great job either.
              Was happy nothing baked hard though

• Spook1205
              Spook1205 commented
              Editing a comment
              I think they are well worth it and think I will give this a go when released. It has to work better than what I have.
              https://www.baileysdiesel.com/uncate...an-sneak-peek/

So in the name of science I decided to put the can of three bond engine conditioner through to see how well it cleaned intake out. Here is s pic you can make your own decision.
            will try the Liqui Moly brand later this week.

Comment

ok cool i didnt think you had one. Maybe the situation would have been a lot worse without one then? I know on the 1KD they are a neccessity almost
              2016 GX , in White

Comment

• Spook1205
                Spook1205 commented
                Editing a comment
                They got to about 130000 and are pretty chocked up.
                Long term I need to do something, will try a better catch can and intake cleaner every service. Monitor this and see how it goes.
                If nothing improves or I find it’s worse as it would if I continue as is the manifold would be coming off.

If anyone with a quality catch can who can take off the electronic throttle and put a finger into the manifold and have a see what’s inside would be great.
              this way we get to tell if cheaper catch cans do a good job or not, or is this oil coming from turbo.
              its easy to get off can help with instructions if people interested.

Comment

I just spoke to my father in-law today regarding the new Tuner and he is a mechanic and suggested a catch-can like others here. So now got to find what is the best option here and also how best to maintain the system and some good info here that Spook1205.

Comment

Well after a can of three bond and half a large can of Liqui Moly intake cleaner a few days driving and the end result was.....
                  neither cleaned any oily sludge buildup from intake.

so over school hols the intake is coming off and intercooler is coming off. Both for a clean out.

Comment

well , while you have the intake off you can do the the EGR delete -
                    http://www.newhilux.net/phpbb/viewto...?f=122&t=29251

I had to remove the intercooler and intake on a Landrover Discovery for a clean out job once , what a bugger that was. Prevention is better than cure imo
                    2016 GX , in White

Comment

• Spook1205
                      Spook1205 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Mmmmm..... the throttle needs shutting down or closing in regen mode. Loosing this restriction may inhibit regen.

This link was done on an engine with no DPF.. interesting though

I’ll have a look at that but I don’t know how they get around the air/ fuel ratio sensor. Hopefully they say.
                    need to do something long term, will try a better quality catch can once cleaned. I’ll put photos up of what I find but it will be a sludge fest in there. Least it’s not baked hard like earlier models that need to be acid bathed.

Comment

any idea why the throttle plate closes in regen mode? If a regen is occuring and there is no EGR getting through anyway ( blocked off ) then would that make a difference ?
                      2016 GX , in White

Comment

• Spook1205
                        Spook1205 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Restrict intake to make a higher HC mixture to go into the catalyst.

• Spook1205
                        Spook1205 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Still will have issues with air/ fuel ratio sensor. It will be reporting way too much oxygen going through exhaust. And I reckon it will throw codes due to it monitors the EGR.
                    Working...
                    X