This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TUTORIAL - How to remove the 3rd row seats

So I've seen it asked about 4 million times on here but no clear instructions so here goes:

Firstly fold the seat down and lift this cover with some upward pressure:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20160524_142141.jpg
Views:	10401
Size:	406.3 KB
ID:	1643

Next remove the smaller cover like so

Name:	20160524_142353.jpg
Views:	9562
Size:	427.1 KB
ID:	1644

Lift the plastic up and then back out of the way so you can see what you're doing:

Name:	20160524_144857.jpg
Views:	9557
Size:	384.8 KB
ID:	1645

There are some clips down the back of the spring mechanism for one more plastic cover you will need to move:

Name:	20160524_145001.jpg
Views:	9171
Size:	325.0 KB
ID:	1646

More to follow in the next post due to attachment limits

Now lift up the seat and lock it in position. You can now slide the plastic cover up to gain access to the back bolt holding the spring mechanism in place, loosen this bolt with a 14mm ring spanner and then you should be able to loosen it most of the way with your fingers (trust me, easier to do this before you undo the other 2 bolts!).

Name:	20160524_145115.jpg
Views:	9126
Size:	346.1 KB
ID:	1686

With that bolt as loose as you can get it, undo the other 2 bolts holding down the spring mechanism (make sure you have the tab holding the seat up connected or it might fall on your head). With these 2 bolts removed you can finish off the first bolt from the above picture which will be tricky but doable.

Once all 3 bolts are removed from the spring mechanism it's as simple as lifting the seat up towards the roof keeping an eye on the black locating pin you can see here on the right:

Name:	20160524_145642.jpg
Views:	9080
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	1687

With these space filling contraptions removed all that's left is to replace the cover:

Name:	20160524_150026.jpg
Views:	9220
Size:	373.8 KB
ID:	1688

As you can see I also replaced the bolts back into the holes they left so I don't lose them. Now just lather, rinse and repeat for the other side then you're done!

Name:	20160524_151738.jpg
Views:	9504
Size:	305.0 KB
ID:	1689

In hindsight I should have taken a "before" picture for comparison, but bugger it! I'm not putting them back in just to take them out again!
    Last edited by Psykamaholik; 27-05-2016, 07:31 AM.

Comment

nice work Psykamaholik, just wish you put this up at the start of the year.... I think some of links for the images in your second post are broken, I can't view them?

I have found, surprisingly, once all the plastic trim bits are removed, its very straight forward to re-install and remove the seat as required. Had some family visit on the weekend, took me 5 minutes and I had a 7 seater again. Al be it without the smaller plastic trim bits....

Comment

I see what you mean.... Was working on the home computer. I`ll re-edit and upload the pics again when I get home.

Comment

Should all be working now

Comment

Much easier step by step method shown below.

Also a slide show for those that prefer picture to reading
            https://picasaweb.google.com/1096976...77704673375426

Start with the passenger (left hand) side seat.
            Lower seat and remove the two plastic covers as shown by Psykamaholik

Now raise the seat and clip in up.
            Remove this third piece of trim.

It has two white clips that hold on VERY tightly. Use a lot of force if required. The trim will bend but will NOT break.

There are 3 14mm bolts to remove.

Lower the seat again and remove the centre bolt using an extension on your socket.

Now raise the seat again and remove the REAR MOST bolt.
            There is a locating pin that will hold the seat in place after you remove this bolt.
            DO NOT remove the fore most bolt and after you have removed the rear most bolt.

Now, whilst supporting the seat from falling, remove the fore most bolt.

Comment

Because there is a 10 image limit here is the remainder of the post.

Now lift the seat approximately 100mm straight upwards to disengage the locating pin from its hole.
              (shown here in this pic)

Refit the three bolts so they will not get lost.

Refit the first piece of trim.

Now do the drivers (right hand) side seat following the same procedure.

Look at how much extra room you get!

Comment

• 4Tuner
                4Tuner commented
                Editing a comment
                Good work. Thanks.
                I removed the seats for the first time today. I followed your method and took a seat out and put it back within 15 minutes.

Psykamaholik, Thanks for your detailed posting. Your instructions will certainly help those that have yet to remove their 3rd row.

Hope you don’t mind me adding some instructions to your post on an relatively easy, inexpensive and fully reversible method to filling the void in the trim left after removing the seats.

Materials (Total cost $40 from Clark Rubber)
              - Medium density foam (500mm by 200mm by 70mm)
              - Black vinyl sheet (550mm by 500mm) as this was the minimum order length
              - Selleys Kwik Grip Contact Adhesive 150gram Spray Can

Name:	Trim1.jpg
Views:	8762
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	2125

Tools
              - Scissors to cut vinyl
              - Serrated knife to cut foam (electric if you have and are allowed to use)
              - Tape measure
              - Felt tip marker

Method
              - Mark out two slightly off square rectangles on the foam with the following dimensions (Base 250mm, short edge 120mm, long edge 170mm, top edge 270mm) Hint: Use the factory cut straight edge as the base edge.
              - Cut the foam with the serrated knife, easy work with an electric model but standard serrated knife also works.
              - Determine what side of the foam the vinyl needs to be applied as it is on opposite sides for the LHS and RHS
              - Mark out vinyl and cut with scissors. Once again use the factory cut straight edge on the vinyl as the base edge.
              - Spray on a generous amount of Kwik Grip to the appropriate foam and vinyl surfaces.
              - Leave until the glue becomes tacky (approx 15 minutes) and bring the surfaces together.
              - Allow 24 hours for the glue to fully cure.

Name:	Trim2.jpg
Views:	8736
Size:	160.9 KB
ID:	2124

Fitting
              - Place foam inside the appropriate trim piece and simply click back into place.
              - The 70mm thick foam will force the vinyl surface to slightly protrude out the trim void leaving a nice and firm surface

Name:	Trim3.jpg
Views:	8731
Size:	159.7 KB
ID:	2126

Comment

• NatE90
                NatE90 commented
                Editing a comment
                That looks great. Was also wondering what to do with the space. Thanks

• Kat
                Kat commented
                Editing a comment
                Maybe you could work out how much a set of these would cost. I would be interested in buying

Nice! looks great

Comment

I've been wondering how I was going to fill those holes! Nice addition!

Comment

Great instructions, thank you. Ill be doing this to the rear of mine soon. Does anyone out there know what the weight of a third row seat is, or would someone that has one removed already mind weighing one if possible please? Doing some calculations on GVM for a trip coming up and It would be very handy to know what they weigh each- not planning on taking them out for a couple of months yet. Thanks folks.

Comment

I remember weighing them and thought I wrote it down somewhere, but cant find the notes! (they are a bit hard to get to now sorry). From memory, the figure that springs to mind is 15kg each, but I cant be sure of that.

Dave

Comment

• LongwoodTim
                      LongwoodTim commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks Dave. 10-15Kg was about my guess. Cheers.

• 4Tuner
                      4Tuner commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Confirmed close enough to 15KG (as per weigh myself on bathroom scales while holding one seat method). good to know as both removed adds 30KG to the payload..every bit helps

while on this subject , i have just removed one side of the middle row seats as a temporary camping measure - to remove these you need to tumble them forward , unplug the seat wiring , place blocks of timber over the floor catches ( to stop them re-engaging ) , then pull seats upright , remove the front bolts ( silver ) followed by the rear nuts ( black , on studs ). lift out carefully , they weigh a fair bit , at a guess 30-40kg.
                    2016 GX , in White

Comment

Originally posted by LongwoodTim View Post
                      Great instructions, thank you. Ill be doing this to the rear of mine soon. Does anyone out there know what the weight of a third row seat is, or would someone that has one removed already mind weighing one if possible please? Doing some calculations on GVM for a trip coming up and It would be very handy to know what they weigh each- not planning on taking them out for a couple of months yet. Thanks folks.
                      They are easy to remove and refit, a 5 minute job at most. Take one of yours out and weigh it and then refit it.
                      I have repacked and wrapped and boxed both mine and shoved them in a back corner of the shed.
                      You could remove yours quicker than I could unpack, weigh and repack one of mine.

Comment

Hi, in step 4 do you break the plastic? Its hard to get it out?. Click image for larger version

Name:	20170225_140455.jpg
Views:	8829
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	5446

Comment

Working...
                        X