Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Install of 3rd party head unit

Hi All,

I just installed a new head unit and I gotta say that I am very happy and surprised at how easy it was, the install took me just under 2 hours.

I have a few pictures below of the install and where I got it from,

Here is the link to the unit, https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32961196682.html (I got the PX5 version)

It was well worth the purchase..

awesome , looks great in the dash too.
    2016 GX , in White

Comment

Hmmm does look good...I am so sick of the crap existing unit!

Comment

I have been delighted with my 10 inch screen Prado unit which is 4 years old now. Not as good as this more modern version which is PX6 running android 9.0, lots of extras if you need them, some mentioned on the link posted like tyre pressure monitors, dashcam, torque pro to monitor your DPF ! also digital radio but in my opinion the very best feature is being able to use whatever navigation software you choose. Google maps etc, but to compare with the standard offering from Toyota Igo the maps on this unit can be full featured 2019 Q4, if any owners with a brand new vehicle read this have a look at the age of your maps.

Comment

For so long these units were stuck at android 4.4.
          Sure is tempting now. Being full android and not just android auto means you can run whatever offroad mapping software you like.
          Maybe one day I'll get one of these and do the focal speaker upgrades while I'm at it
          Are there any Australian outlets pushing these units? Not super keen on an aliexpress

Comment

• Miki
            Miki commented
            Editing a comment
            Originally posted by DaveC View Post
            Not super keen on an aliexpress
            I had my reservations as well as it was my first time purchasing from Aliexpress, but I gotta admit, I am happy with the outcome and I am glad I did it..

looks great!

did you need a facia kit for this?

also did you buy any of the further accessories for dab or any other extra bits?

plug and play?

sorry for all the questions!

Comment

• Miki
            Miki commented
            Editing a comment
            Sorry for the late reply,
            The fascia kit came with the unit

No I haven't yet, but looking at getting the dab unit soon.

Yes it was very easy and plug and it played :-)

No problems, sorry for the late reply....

Originally posted by DaveC View Post
          For so long these units were stuck at android 4.4.
          Sure is tempting now. Being full android and not just android auto means you can run whatever offroad mapping software you like.
          Maybe one day I'll get one of these and do the focal speaker upgrades while I'm at it
          Are there any Australian outlets pushing these units? Not super keen on an aliexpress
          Like you I wasn't keen on buying units directly from China, but at the time I was so incensed at my standard Prado maps and appalled at the attitude of the dealer that I was willing to gamble the price of a Chinese head unit.
          It does feel strange for me to be praising something Chinese but I am pretty sure that Aliexpress does not pay the supplier until the item is received and the customer is happy. I have since bought a lot of engineering stuff from Banggood, perhaps the name sounds shady but everything has been delivered in good time (to the UK mainly) The only time something was late arriving I contacted a bloke who reviews their products on YouTube and he had a replacement sent quickly. Eventually the original item arrived as well so I ended up with two.

I suppose if you bought a unit from an Australian supplier you could take it back, but you would be paying a premium for the privilege and of course getting exactly the same unit. I also found the Chinese supplier OK for answering any software questions and at the time they were keen to know of any issues regarding things like difficulty in fitting the unit to a right hand drive vehicle as it was advertised as left hand drive only.
          Last edited by JohnLynn; 21-02-2020, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Anyone hesitant about a Chinese branded headunit. I've had one in my Fortuner since 2016. I've had one in my other cars since as early as 2013. I've claimed warranty on one unit, the screen failed. I paid to have the unit returned, they just needed a photo of the postal receipt and boxed headunit as proof of return so that they could send a replacement headunit. I think it's safer to buy from a "big brand" Chinese manufacturer (one of my units is a Eonon branded, the other two are Joying branded). Big in a sense that there is an modding community on XDA Developers.

Comment

Working...
            X