This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Remove Console / Dash

This is the procedure for a Crusade but I would expect that all models will be very similar if not the same.

1) Handbrake on and car in neutral (if it stays in Park you will not be able to pull the console back far enough). Unzip the handbrake cover and remove the gear knob by turning it ant-clockwise.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3227.JPG
Views:	1641
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	1995

2) Pull up rear of console by grabbing around the silver part in front of armrest / centre storage. There are two wiring plugs underneath that have to be removed (Eco/Power switch and Gear select lights) and these will be accessible once the centre console is lifted up. They have a little tab that you depress to release the plug.

Name:	IMG_3230.JPG
Views:	1558
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	1996

3) Remove leather sides by grabbing at the bottom and pull firmly straight out from the dash towards the rear of the vehicle. This will require a fair bit of pressure and take note that the very top of the piece is lipped in under the aircon vents so this takes a bit of a wiggle to get out. There are only plastic clips holding this part on (pink tabs in the photo). Remove both sides then the bottom part of the console will slide away easily.

Name:	IMG_3232.JPG
Views:	1513
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	1997

Thats pretty much it. Now you have access to the huge amount of storage underneath the centre console and the rest if the dash can be pulled out as required. Just repeat the opposite order to re-install the dash/console with the hardest bit being the leather sides as these will require a fair bit of up/down and forward wiggling to get them back in.

Name:	IMG_3241.JPG
Views:	1630
Size:	98.7 KB
ID:	1998 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3242.JPG
Views:	1512
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	1999

I did have some other images but we are limited to 5 per post so hopefully these are enough.
    Last edited by Simon; 07-06-2016, 09:50 PM.

Hey Simon,

This sounds great and exactly what I am wanting but the pics aren't showing.

BJ

Comment

• Simon
      Simon commented
      Editing a comment
      BJ, not sure if you are using Internet Explorer but maybe try opening the post in Google Chrome. I was finding that not all images would come up in IE previously.

• Bmhdg1976
      Bmhdg1976 commented
      Editing a comment
      Simon, I use macs and iPad (Safari browser) and not showing up in anything. Maybe moderator needs to look into it for us?

BJ.

Shaun can you look at the image issues for Safari/IPads etc?

bj.

Comment

Not working for me either (windows firefox & android chrome). When you uploaded the pictures did you hit the "send to server" button on each one?

Comment

Originally posted by Bmhdg1976 View Post
        Shaun can you look at the image issues for Safari/IPads etc?

bj.
        Bmhdg1976 I have noticed that some of the posts are doing that. I use IE at work and Chrome at home and I can see the same thing. I would have to agree with Psykamaholik on this one. let me know how you go and if that doesn't work I will send it to the boffins...
        Fortuner Forum Default Signature!

Comment

Hey Simon, can you try again with the pics?

BJ

Comment

I have just re-posted the pics and this time used my work computer that is running Internet Explorer. I think there may be an issue when Chrome is used to up load picture. I did some tests on a few devices and the original pics didn't like mobile (iphone) or Internet explorer but were fine in Safari (iMac) and Chrome (iMac and Windows). Might be worth a look into Shaun.

Comment

Hey guys, I will have a look and see what I find...
              Fortuner Forum Default Signature!

Comment

Hi Simon, do you have a photo what's behind the leather sides after removing them? Are the multimedia/gps, aircond console and 4wd selector unit mountings accessible (removable) from there?

Comment

• Simon
                  Simon commented
                  Editing a comment
                  you know what, I was more concerned with the lower console so forgot to take photos of the up area. Yes, once the sides are removed, all the other parts of the dash are accessible.

Thanks @simon... Showing perfectly now. May use this to hide my Uhf base unit.

BJ

Comment

Great stuff! Pictures working a treat now. I wonder how audible a UHF speaker would be underneath the centre console...

Comment

I am looking at getting a GME TX3550S which has a speaker in the base unit and a speaker in he handset so should be ok I hope. After seeing the other UHF install thread I may just hide the base unit behind the glovebox as should be a lot easier to get into.

BJ.

Comment

Tried to remove the console, but thought I'd break something. How much force does one need to use ?

Comment

Hey Wiggy, you will need to use more force than you would like. It is a horrible feeling when you have to force the hell out of some of the bits but the plastic clips do a really good job of holding everything in tight. I always work on the principle that if you break it, Toyota will always be happy to charge you a fortune for the smallest bit of plastic to be replaced ha ha.

Comment

Working...
                        X