Roof Sunglasses holder smells??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roof Sunglasses holder smells??

Here's a weird one for you, ever since i have had the car from new, the sunglasses holder has a weird metallic/chemical smell to it. Its pretty strong, to the point that if you store your sunnies in it overnight, the next day or 2 they will stink of this smell.

I've had t out of the roof for a closer look and there is nothing spilled in it or any visible evidence of the cause. If i leave it open for a day or 2 it goes away, but when you close it up again the smell comes back.

Anyone notice anything similar or have an idea on how to remedy it? Id really like to keep my sunnies out of sight when i store them.

Cheers

When you take the sunnies holder out & put your face toward the roof cavity, do you still notice the smell? It could be something in the roof lining near the holder. Plastics can absorb the smell of things in it or touching it.

Comment

Just checked by putting my face close enough to smell the sunnies holder & mine smells too.

Comment

Started smelling this too since the warmer weather hit. Where is it coming from????

Comment

You wouldnt believe how happy i am that it isnt just me. No idea where the smell comes from. Ive had the whole light/sunnies holder assembly out of the roof to inspect and there is no sign of anything obvious. All i can think is maybe the adhesive used to stick the felt to the holder. Maybe with a bit of warmth it starts to vent off some solvent

Comment

I have one of those tree air fresheners sitting in there now hahaha

Comment

Hey guys..... What happened with this post? Ive just got the fortuner back off the mrs (after 8 months) and Im now noticing the smell..... Tried some disinfectant spray but the smell is there the next day......

Comment

mine still smells, more so when its warm. No idea what is causing it. All i can think is either the adhesive, or the materiel in the holder

Comment

I've noticed a similar type of smell on other products over the years. More so when you get a part of some kind & its in plastic wrapping. When you take it out it has a smear of gel or oil on it, to protect it from "something" or other during shipping. But I just can't remember what I bought that had the odour....

Taking my young blokes car to my nephew (a mechanic) for a service. Both he and his mechanic bought new Hi-Luxes. I'll ask em if their cars have that smell.

Comment

maybe the plastic they are using is soy based? bit of a long shot but ive heard some plastics are.
                    2016 GX , in White

Comment

Over weekend I tried smelling mine roof sunglasses holder, it smells awful too. Not organic smell but more like toxic chemical. Im thinking its the black material inside. I'm planning to remove & replace with foam to see how it goes.

Comment

Trying to remember if there is a similar piece of cloth at the bottom of the storage box between the driver and passenger seats. If so, might be worth seeing if that has the same smell. Although it gets pretty damn hot in the sun-glass holder. It wouldn't surprise me if the heat, over time, was a contributing factor.

Comment

My Tuna's sunglass holder doesn't smell anymore, could be the foam that they use in the bottom of the holder

Comment

Working...
                          X