Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UHF mounting

Hi All,
    I want to relocate my GME 3350 remote head UHF from behind the glovebox to under the centre console.

For whatever reason the 3M double sided tape I used to secure the radio keeps failing off and looking to permanently mount the radio under the centre console.
    Have pulled the centre console off and

Hi All,
    I want to relocate my GME 3350 remote head UHF from behind the glovebox to under the centre console.
    For whatever reason the 3M double sided tape I used to secure the radio keeps failing off and looking to permanently mount the radio under the centre console.
    Have pulled the centre console off and now trying to figure out how mount it under the console.
    To those that have mounted their radio under the console, how did you go about it ?

Comment

I've the same unit. The installer mounted it on the driver's side of the fire wall, using screws to secure the bracket, then attaching the unit to the bracket.

Tried to take a photo of it but can't get a clear enough shot. This was also the spot the installer put my remote head UHF in my patrol 17 yrs ago. In both cases I'm stuffed if I know why, cause its a $hit spot to access if you need to work on it or replace it.

Some people put their UHFs under the front seats using velcro. No screws & is easier to access or remove, & it won't fall cause its already sitting on the floor. Maybe an option??

Comment

Hey guys, i used some gorilla double sided tape and also some cable ties to tie my 3350S into the steel bracket under dash on passenger side, it ain't moving anytime soon
        Also do any of you get any feedback during acceleration when your UHF is on?

Comment

• John
          John commented
          Editing a comment
          Feedback generally points to a wiring issue, Just to clarify is the feedback coming through the two-way radio while youre accelerating? I have no feedback on my radio. I would look at where youre coax is run and check it for any cuts or nicks and proximity to engine components. Ideally it should follow factory wiring looms to your bullbar.. I would also check the connector is terminated correctly and that there is no shorts. Most antennas are ground independent these days but i would make sure the antenna is grounded for good measure. If thats all good check that you have a good clean power source. Straight from the battery is ideal but i know alot of people like the convenience of an ignition switch and a relay is alot of effort so make sure its run from the cigarette lighter and and that the ground wire is connected to a good ground. hope that helps.

• thehunteroz
          thehunteroz commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, definitely through the UHF. admittedly it's not a GME antenna. I'll check it out thanks mate. I only listen to my music on my phone via bluetooth and that's crystal clear.

In my previous 4wd I used to get a static / sort of low whistle sound, and it seemed louder when I accelerated. The noise was doing my head in & I thought I was up for another UHF. Finally a mate (who used to be an NRMA patrolman), told me to turn off the car's AM / FM radio when the UHF was on. I did & the sound went away. He said that as the UHF was wired to the accessory / ignition, I was picking up the static (somehow)?!? He suggested the fix being to hard wire the UHF directly to the car battery & also using an inline fuse, & not go through the accessory / ignition switch.

Dunno... may be a similar thing to what I had. Might be worth a shot turning off the car radio, or CD player or anything you may be running when the UHF is on to see if the problem stops.

Comment

I have mine mounted behind the head unit and it is wired to a RJ45 connector in one of the front rocker slots. When i need to use the UHF i plug my hand-set in and power it on. When im not using it it sits in the glove box

Comment

Mines mounted under the centre console in front of the gear lever, it an oricom remote unit. Just used some 3M Velcro strips to hold it to the rubber underlay.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
            X