Handbrake useless?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handbrake useless?

The handbrake on the Fortuner defiantly isn't the best in the world but in saying that it still effectively works if maintained properly.

Unfortunately it is quick and easy to adjust from the handbrake lever (see picture). This will make your handbrake useless! I will explain why in following posts and show you where it needs to be adjusted.

This is not a post to explain how you can go about adjusting it yourself, but just some insight as to why your handbrake doesn't hold effectively.

So to adjust it properly the rear brakes disc needs to come off.

Comment

Inside the disc is the handbrake shoes. See pic.

Also shown is the lever that acts on the top of the handbrake shoes when you pull the handbrake on.

Comment

Where the handbrake needs adjusting is at the bottom of the shoe (see pic).
        By adjusting here the shoes will then have full contact when handbrake is applied.
        This is important because the handbrake shoes work on a duo-servo effect. In other words the shoes are pinned at the top and can float freely down the bottom.
        The duo-servo effect works by the shoes rotating and jamming one of the shoes as vehicle tries to roll.
        Now if the bottom of the shoes have a lot of clearance this will not happen as the shoes will lose a large amount of contact area.

So if adjusted properly and the vehicle is on a hill facing up, both top of the shoes will go out shown with green arrow.
        The result as car rolls back is the rear shoe will move around with the drum rotation and effectively jam the front shoe against the drum as it is pinned on the top. This will create a lot more pressure to increase friction and hold vehicle. the duo-servo effect is shown with red arrows.

The handbrake should come up 7 to 8 clicks. I adjust when it hits 10 clicks. Now seeing I have 137500km on car and this is only the 4th time I have adjusted this handbrake, they don't wear quickly and as the picture shows there still is a lot of friction material left.

Anyhow I hope this will give people out there some insight to why their handbrake may be useless but shouldn't be.

Cheers, Spook

Comment

good write up Luke. didnt someone say once that there are modified / longer dog bones available that make the handbrake better ?
          2016 GX , in White

Comment

• Spook1205
            Spook1205 commented
            Editing a comment
            Was a brick and string I think

Nice writeup Spook, thanks!
          If I ask for a handbrake adjustment at a service, will they do this or just adjust the bolt at the lever??

Dave

Comment

• Spook1205
            Spook1205 commented
            Editing a comment
            It’s hard to say, best you can do is specify it gets done at the rear wheels. If it has been pulled up by the cable it will need to be backed right off, adjusted at shoes then again at the cable to give you the 7 clicks. Once that is done the cable really never needs to be touched again, we’ll not until new handbrake shoes get fitted.

I just had Toyota adjust my handbrake on the rear disks the other day and can I say what a difference. It actually works. Yep I'm not kidding lads. Hahaha...if you cant be bothered/or aren't to confident doing it yourself just tell them to adjust at your next service.

Comment

• Spook1205
            Spook1205 commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah nice one.
            I think you really have to specify that it gets adjusted at the rear, then hope they do it.
            You will find it will work effectively for a long period of time. After you notice hit about 10 clicks get it cleaned and adjusted again.
        Working...
        X