DPF Burn off.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DPF Burn off.

Hello there. Am looking at purchasing a Fortuner GXL Manual in the near future. Have always owned Landcruisers, but like what I have seen & read so far with the Fortuner. Test drove the local Toyota dealers demo the other day (They only had a Crusade auto), and was impressed with it.
    Was wondering how the new 2.8L engine has been as far as the DPF is concerned, now people are starting to clock up a few kms?
    On other forums I have read the 2.8L (shared with Prado & Hilux) will idle up slightly during a burn. Has anyone noticed this with their Fortuner yet, especially those doing more short trips / city driving?
    Also, those with manuals, how have you found the new engine mated to the manual to be power wise / drivability?
    Thanks, Mick66.

Hi Mick. First the DPF. I have a manual GX. Has a bout 4000 k on it now. The DPF is absolutely no problem. Our version simply has an automatic DPF burn-off system. ABout every 300 to 400 km apparently the DPF gets about 50% blocked which triggers the start of a cleanout. You can hear a sound like a blow torch coming from under the bonnet. If you stop at a corner or at traffic lights the idle speed will lift after a couple of seconds and the burn will be quite loud. It lifts to about 1200 rpm. When you take off again the loud burn stops and things go back to normal. This cycle will continue till the burn-off is complete, when the idle speed returns to normal. If you arrive at your destination before the burn is finished just switch off the engine when parked. When you start up again the burn off will continue till it is finished. The DPF does not affect your normal driving in any way. so don't worry but it too much. Most of my driving currently is suburban and some freeway and some main road driving. Suburban speeds of 60/70kph plus traffic lights. freeway up to 100kph if no traffic jams. Side street stuff at 40 to 60 kph. Frequent trips to local shop and shopping centre of about 2 to 5 km. No problems. As for the engine/gearbox match it is very good. The main torque band is about 15 to 2500 revs. There is no need to exceed the 2500 rev mark as this is a very torquey motor. Going any higher doesn't achieve anything and just uses more fuel. Once you get a few k on it and things settle in a bit it is a real happy motor running at about 1600 rpm even in 6th. First gear is a bit lower than in the old hilux making it a better towing vehicle..2nd,3rd 4th and 5th about the same 6th is an extra overdrive on top of 5th. 4th is the direct main shaft heavy towing gear and will give 100kph at 2500 if you are towing a heavy van. This vehicle has a lot of grunt and handles well.
    cheers.

Comment

Thanks very much for that Davidd, just the info I was after! Much appreciated.

Comment

I was wandering if my "idle up" switch was stuck or something. Thanks for explaining this.

Comment

• Shaun
          Shaun commented
          Editing a comment
          Hi Bugeye and welcome to the forum!

Thanks Shaun!

Comment

Car is doing the first DPF burn as we speak (sitting in Coles car park). How long do they generally take?

Been about 5 mins so far.

BJ.

Comment

Ok so now doing its second burn and it seems for me is every 300klm. Should I just let it do its thing or can I stop and start the vehicle. This one when I noticed it was starting I took it on the highway and did a 10min drive but the burn at home now has been going for about 15mins so far. Is a little annoying that is so frequent so far. Going for a 600klm drive in the weekend so will see what it does then.

BJ.

Comment

• Kiat
              Kiat commented
              Editing a comment
              I left the burn off till my next drive. It starts automatically once speed exceed 40/60km/h or so,

Ok so I don't need to let it sit there for the 25mins it took? I had gone for a drive but didn't seem to do anything.

Bj.

Comment

• Kiat
              Kiat commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah I noticed it takes longer sometimes, but it will gradually disappear.

Do you guys notice a strange smell when your DPF is going though a burn cycle? Ours normally kicks off once we have used about half a tank of fuel.

Comment

• thehunteroz
              thehunteroz commented
              Editing a comment
              Yes it's a rubber smell like your tyres are rubbing/been doing burnouts ;-P

I've done 15,000 kms in 3 months and I don't even notice the DPF burn off anymore. It's very passive and does not give you any problems apart from the excess exhaust gas heat when it happens. the engine has really loosened up. It's just a normal Toyota Reliability thing. The 1GD will probably last at least 500,000 kms before it'll start asking for money.

Comment

Hi Guys, My car never seems to do this Burn off that you talk about. Ive had it in to Toyota Mentone for a check up they tell me nothing"s wrong! But still not convinced. I have had a few problems already with this vehicle (17,000km) so far.

Comment

burn off times are different for everyone depending on how you use it and the severity of the burn. I only notice mine doing them now becuase i have fitted a Scanguage 2 and can see the DPF temps climb to 650+ deg. The main reason I fitted one though is to be more aware of possible grass fires if i'm off roading and the car starts a DPF burn.
                2016 GX , in White

Comment

Just got back from holiday in QLD, Travelled from South coast to Coffs harbour tackled the off roads followed by Gold coast, Brisbane. had the DPF burn happen about 4 times its annoying looking in your mirrors all you see is cloud of white smoke.

Comment

When new mine was doing one every 250 to 350 km. Now it's between 400 and 500. Might be a change of driving style or the engine running in, I'm not sure. I do know that I get no white smoke out the back and the exhaust tip is completely clean.

Comment

Originally posted by Lozza View Post
                      Just got back from holiday in QLD, Travelled from South coast to Coffs harbour tackled the off roads followed by Gold coast, Brisbane. had the DPF burn happen about 4 times its annoying looking in your mirrors all you see is cloud of white smoke.
                      Even my faulty piece of garbage doesn't blow white smoke. Some hilux owners have had the DPF replaced because of this. I'm heading the same way due to heavy soot.
                      Cheers Dave
                      2015 GX Auto

Comment

• Lozza
                        Lozza commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Its going for a service tomorrow, might get Toyota to check it. Seen a Hilux yesterday blowing white smoke I was thinking this was normal. Last week I added 600ml of oil to the engine had 2000km prior to service due.

Dave

if the DPF is working correctly does it blow smoke?? what colour??

• AlexV
                        AlexV commented
                        Editing a comment
                        My 2015 Fortuner has done just on 43K and just in the last 2 months months I notice in the rear vision mirror clouds of white smoke where I assume a DPF burn off was commencing every 300KM, since the 40K service. The motor does not use any oil between the 10K changes.

It is a bit embarrassing to other road users and does not make the Fortuner look good. I recall a "Lozza" in the old Jackaroo forums, it seems the Fortuner is a logical choice as a replacement.
                    Working...
                    X