Squealing from undeneath

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squealing from undeneath

Bought a 2015 Toyota Fortuner in February 2021. Last owner did not care for it properly. About a month ago, a strange squealing started under the vehicle, about a kilometer into each trip. It only sounds when the vehicle is at low speeds (45 kph), stops when the vehicle stops and does not increase/decrease with the vehicle's speed. New oil, new brakes, new serpentine belt/transmission fluid and transmission filter. Mechanics can not find the source. All fluids and systems seem to be working correctly. No leaking fluids. Link is to Youtube video I took of the sound with a GoPro under the vehicle. Any help is appreciated. Youtube link: https://youtu.be/gkLE8PBsXmk

im not sure , but suspect its the CV joint seals , where the CV joints go into the front differential. Spray the inner parts of the joint ( where the seals are ) with something like WD40. can you hear the noise if you jack up each side and spin the wheels by hand?
    2016 GX , in White

Comment

Originally posted by White One View Post
      im not sure , but suspect its the CV joint seals , where the CV joints go into the front differential. Spray the inner parts of the joint ( where the seals are ) with something like WD40. can you hear the noise if you jack up each side and spin the wheels by hand?
      The below picture is the closet I can get to the front differential. As you can see, I sprayed WD-40 in there. Did I get the correct location? We drove about 20 km and no squealing. But the sound initially was hit or miss when the squealing started a few weeks ago.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1738.jpg
Views:	450
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	21350 Just moved to Costa Rica so I do not have equipment I need to lift the Fortuner right now but will next week. Thank you.
      Last edited by CostaRica2021; 29-04-2021, 05:22 AM. Reason: Added photo

Comment

Ok let us know how you go. This forum is usually for the Australian delivered models so i dont know if they are different to the Fortuners built in Sth America. I think they use the 1KD engine and 5 speed gearbox over there
        2016 GX , in White

Comment

Good to know. I will update when I have relevant information. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by CostaRica2021 View Post

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1738.jpg Views:	7 Size:	24.5 KB ID:	21350
            yes , needs to be further in there , right where the seal covers the shaft into the diff. I have heard of that seal needing replacement for that same noise.
            2016 GX , in White

Comment

yes , needs to be further in there , right where the seal covers the shaft into the diff. I have heard of that seal needing replacement for that same noise.
              Ok. Squealing started again this morning. Pulled over and sprayed into that pictured groove (on both sides). Squealing stopped again. Thinking you identified the problem (thank you very much). Will I get more 'time' if I use something like a white lithium oil? Is white lithium safe to use here? I have to find the parts and this is our only vehicle.

Comment

I dont know if oil will work long term , I think its a fault with the seal of some kind , or there is some dirt or something stuck in there. Probably best to replace the seal next time it gets a service
                2016 GX , in White

Comment

I dont know if oil will work long term , I think its a fault with the seal of some kind , or there is some dirt or something stuck in there. Probably best to replace the seal next time it gets a service
                  Yes, replacement is the plan. I truly appreciate the remote diagnosis. When the seals are replaced, I will update to report if the problem is solved. Drive safe!

Comment

Turned out to be a bearing seal in the front. Fixing it 12May. Thanks again.

Comment

great news , happy to help
                      2016 GX , in White

Comment

Working...
                      X