Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hand Brake

Hi all.
    I've a 2015 demo model auto GX which I got in March with 6000 km on the clock, & found my hand brake didn't hold the car all that well, & asked for it to be adjusted as part of the 10,000 km service. I was told it'd cost $70 for it to be adjusted as its a working part.

I queried this saying the brake shouldn't loosen up that much on a car only 5-6 months old. The Toyota service guy relented & adjusted it for free. But not long after its loosened up again.

Just wondering if anyone else out in Fortuner land has experienced the same issue & if so, has any adjustment been satisfactory & long lasting., or like mine, worked great for about 2-3 weeks.

Had mine adjust at 1000km service and it's still fine 7000km later. It's a manual that's usually parked on level ground though.

Comment

maybe its cable stretching , although you wouldnt think it would stretch that much?
      2016 GX , in White

Comment

The handbrakes on Toyota 4WD's are notorious for going out of adjustment quite quickly. They're not difficult to adjust , maybe 15-20 mins max while the cars on the hoist but shouldn't cost $70 to do the job. Add a handbrake adjustment to the list of things to do at each service & that should keep it OK.

Comment

Had mine adjusted at the 10,000 service. It held great on the driveway (about 30Degrees) for about 6weeks and Im noticing its not holding as good now.....

Comment

The service manager at Toyota Werribee told me ''the handbrake is not designed to hold the car on an incline, you need to put the car in park or leave it in gear''. I am under the assumption the country he came from didn't have handbrakes as standard equipment.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll raise the issue again at my next service.

Wozza, Werribee Toyota need a new service manager. The purpose of the handbrake (or more correctly named emergency brake) is to stop any car from rolling should the leaving it in gear/park fail.

Comment

Wozza is that Werribee Toyota on Old Geelong Road? I had my auto transmission software updates there and I thought they weren't too bad

Comment

I posted about the handbrake issue some months ago. Unfortunately a common problem, and will need adjusting each service. Problem exacerbated when parking on inclines.

Comment

dandin Yeah mate Werribee Toyota Old Geelong rd. Have had numerous issues with them. They installed my tow bar and cut the hole in the bumper to big, the black cover had a gap all way around. Luckily the missus backed into the neighbors car and the insurance replaced the bumper and the towbar hole was cut correctly by the panel beater who just shook his head when I told him a dealer had fitted the towbar.

Comment

• dandin
                      dandin commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Thanks for the heads up. I think I'll get it serviced else where from now on. They're my local dealer and I didn't buy the car from them.

Just took the car in for a 30k service & asked the handbrake be adjusted.

I said I asked it be adjusted at the 10k & was told by the bloke who booked it in, it would cost an extra $70 (only when I complained the guy said he'd do it free of charge). When I mentioned the $70 fee to the bloke who booked it in today, he said the handbrake adjustment was "part of the service"....

Seems either the bloke who booked in the job at the 10k service is trying to make money on the side, or Toyota is.

Comment

I had a look at mine , and its a very easy job to do. lifting up the rear of the console ( with the boot unzipped ) ( maybe also unplugging the wires ) gives you access to the 10mm nuts.
                      2016 GX , in White

Comment

Hey Guys happy new year and all that jazz, My handbrake didn't hold properly when in reverse until ratched all the way to the top, I had mine adjusted at the 10k service free of charge, as it is fault in manufacturing, I've had numerous FORD vehicles and most of those had the self adjusting hand brake type.
                        I also had the vibration in the dash which was apparently addressed as part of a service campaign but it's still there at very low revs, (apparently a piece of foam was put in the top section of the dash).
                        Anyway i'm still happy as a pig in mud with my Tuna, when it was serviced they also upgraded the ECU, and other computers, i also noticed that the responsiveness of the instrument panel and entertainment system seems faster, (I work in IT so i notice these things for the most part).
                        Serviced at Midland Toyota

Comment

tell you what , there is a major difference between dealers and its not good. Some dealers are doing things without even being prompted ( like yours ) and with others its like pulling teeth.
                          2016 GX , in White

Comment

Working...
                          X