Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mileage issues

Hi Everyone,

I have a Fortuner GXL that i brought last year October. I am getting mileage of around 12.5 -13.9 l/100 km in mixed driving conditions(driving around Brisbane) and around 9 on the highway. Stock vehicle with no modifications done. I have done some research and looks like DPF on these things might be a problem. Has anyone else noticed poor mileage? I have done around 4.9k on the speedo. I read about the DPF recall in another post but when I contacted toyota they say that there is no recall of DPF and dont even acknowlege TNF 89/16. Toyota even says that this is within acceptable limits. I wonder how could 50% deviation from their reported standards ( as per their ADR 81/20 filing) be standard.

Did anyone face this problem before and what have they done to fix this?

-Debasish

I wouldnt be using the cars dash display for fuel economy readings , i use a Scanguage 2 which seesm to be more accurate. mine is around 9 in mixed driving , 11.5 when doing a DPF burn every 200klm.
    2016 GX , in White

Comment

I've a GX auto with drawers & tools in the back 24/7, weighing a fair bit. Except on trips, mine is all stop/start suburban driving in mostly 50km speed zones, & roughly use 12lt/100 according to the dash. Checking the fuel/distance figures manually, I get about the same usage. So am happy with that. My 3lt TD patrol was using about 15/100, so I'm ok with the Tuner's stats.

I use rougly 9lt/100 sitting on about 100k/ph on the highway, & am happy with that.

Comment

mines about 9.9 - 10 per 100 km, in the city, long drives drops down to about 8.5-9.0 per 100 roughly from memory been a while, since i've been out on a long road trip

Comment

I have a gxl with 10k on the clock. I average 11l per 100kms around town and it goes up to 12-13l per 100kms on the hwy sitting on 110kmph. It gets worse with a dpf regen. I find my fuel light comes on when theres still 20l in the tank which makes the economy feel wors than it is because it always wants filling up.

Comment

• thehunteroz
            thehunteroz commented
            Editing a comment
            might be your roof rack, sitting at 110 from perth to bunbury and back with my bar work on yields me better than city driving :-\, i definitely agree with the 20L factor, i've not even had my warning light come on, on mine, even with like 60KM to go, that being said i'm going to be getting an aux tank put on mine, for $2100, eventually :-P once i've paid off the damn CC'd

• Graham
            Graham commented
            Editing a comment
            Hi, I have a GX, with 8K on the clock, never seen a burn as yet, last trip to Rockhampton round trip fuel was 10.8 Ltr to 100, speed was mostly around the 100/110, was very pleased, only complaint so far is the hand brake, needs to be adjusted, also fuel guage when approx still 15 Ltr in tank, if trank spec's correct.
            Last edited by Graham; 13-02-2017, 02:24 PM.

• John
            John commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah travelling south into a strong south wester might be the issue i face. I find fwy driving at 100kmph i can get it around the 9l per 100km but once i get up to hwy speeds 112ish kmph it struggles for economy and hunts for a lower gear at the slightest hill. Unless i have a tail wind. I come from suzukis so i know about chasing slip streams and tail winds... The roof rack is more than likely my issue. The wind deflector makes a massive difference but its not factory. I am not sure how diesels generate power but my partners Rav4 seems to hold top gear better on the hwy?

My GX Auto with 17'000klms consistently does 9.5L / 100k with Canberra driving (mixed speeds, includes plenty of 100kph stints). This is calculated at the pump when filling up after 650-700klms.

12.5 -13.9 sounds high to me...

BTW, I don't ever notice the DPF at all, I hope its working...

Dave

Comment

• thehunteroz
            thehunteroz commented
            Editing a comment
            Do you have a snorkel? it's much more noticeable when the burn is happening with that, as the air flow is increased to the engine to allow for higher temperature etc.
            As for the burn, you might smell a rubber smell from the rear right hand side area when this is done/in progress

• DaveC
            DaveC commented
            Editing a comment
            No snorkel yet, still waiting on Safari
            BTW, who does a long-range tank? I have no interest in relocating the spare tyre, but a replacement main tank would be interesting...

Dave C. I've checked with Brown Davis, Long Range Automotive, ARB, Opposite Loc (Front Runner gear) & The Long Ranger. All these either manufacture or obtain long range tanks. At present, none of them have a long range tank that just replaces the Fortuner's tank, thus leaving the spare where it is.

At present the best you can do is get a new long range tank which requires the spare to be relocated, which will either mean more money for a rear bar set up so you can mount your spare, or put it onto the roof.

One alternative is to have either a single or dual rear carrier set up to hold 1 or 2 jerry cans, thus leaving the spare under the car.

I'd be happy with a 100-120 litre tank, as long as I can keep the spare under the car, as I'm cautious when it comes to the GVM once I throw in the camping gear, spare parts (depending on the trip), water, fridge gear, & people etc.

Comment

• DaveC
            DaveC commented
            Editing a comment
            The current ARB catalogue lists a long range tank as IN DEVELOPMENT for Fortuner, so perhaps they will come through with something in the longer term.

Likewise I'd be tempted by a 120L replacement main. In the meantime 2 jerrys in a good holder on the roof is OK provided the roof isn't already loaded to capacity!

Rear bar is an expense I don't care for, I'd have probably chosen a prado with 150L onboard if that was a major requirement.

Dave

Comment

agree - a major trade off for me when buying the car was the rear door (prefer forty's opening upward to prado barn door with bulky mounted wheel opening out) versus the fuel tank (prado obviously bigger and better). mounting the spare to change the fuel tank..might as well get the prado IMO. I can understand mounting a 2nd spare for those who geniunely need two spares.

i would also be tempted with a replacement main but I would assume the additional fuel being carried would have the same impact on GVM calculations as the equivalent fuel capacity held in jerry cans? I get the convenience and centre of gravity benefits of course. Issue for many will be GVM rather than storage.

maybe something off the hitch but held up high for rear clearance would be an idea for storage.. http://www.hitchmate.com.au/ along the lines of a rear bar but probably cheaper and not permanent.

Last edited by 4Tuner; 17-02-2017, 02:34 AM.
            Crusade, Summit Bar, Dobinsons Monotube, BFG AT.

Comment

The latest edition of 4x4 in the new gear section has an Outback Accessories 153 litre replacement tank for the new Hilux. So maybe an equivalent might be around the corner for the Fortuner?? Listed as $1238 from www.outbackaccessories.com.au

Comment

I have just done a trip to QLD from NSW including three days on Morton Island and my GXL dash is showing 11.2. On the highway I do cruise at 115kph real speed GPS on the speedo around 120kph.
                What do you think is that ok.

Comment

gbrought; Outback Accessories were fairly quick with a "replacement for spare sub tank" which was 114 lts but required the spare to be moved elsewhere, ie on a rear carrier or onto the roof. When I asked them ages ago, the difficulty they had with the Hilux to the Tuner, was the Hilux has leaf springs & Tuners don't, so weren't too fussed back then to get a larger main tank. This was the same response I got from ARB when I asked them.

When I asked other fuel tank manufacturers about a larger 'main' tank, I was told it wasn't worth their time / effort to make a larger main tank as it wouldn't increase fuel capacity by all that much... personally I'd be happy with a main of 100 or 110 lts if it means not moving the spare tyre.

bladelle; On a trip from Sydney to Darwin 5-6 months ago, I played around with the speeds I was driving at & the litres used. The higher the speed the more fuel used, but 110kph was the highest speed I sat on. The best fuel return figures I got was driving around 90kph. Its a trade off... driver quicker, get there sooner, use more fuel, or drive slower, get there later, use less fuel. Based on my driving on that trip, your figures of 11.2 at your speeds of 115-120 seems reasonable (to me).

Comment

it would appear to me the front runner auxillary tank installation guide shows that the 42 auxillary tank for the previous model fortuner left the spare wheel under the car but dropped the spare wheel height by 50mm.

https://www.frontrunneroutfitters.co...-fortuner.html

this is obviously for the old model but perhaps a version may be released for the new model in time as it has only recently been released in South Africa? anyway just a thought.
                    Crusade, Summit Bar, Dobinsons Monotube, BFG AT.

Comment

Working...
                    X