To diff drop or not to diff drop?????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To diff drop or not to diff drop?????

I'm about to do a 2" lift for the tuna and wondering should i throw a set of diff drop spacers in the front while I'm going.
    has anyone seen issues that suggest i should

If it's a genuine 2" lift unlike ome suspension then it is definitely worth considering, one way you could go about it is to do the lift and then have a look at cv angles, if they are excessive then do diff drop.
    someone has likely done an actual 2" lift and will be able to shed more light, but all I can say for sure is with ome lift it's not necessary (35mm front, 25mm rear)

Comment

I went for the EFS lift from an Opposite Lock place in Myaree WA, MAC 4x4 OL Myaree, had free fitting, $1,375 fitted, all the stuff i read about EFS was it's pretty solid, on day of install they fitted everything up with the EFS coils, and found it didn't come up to the 2"/50MM as requested, so they ripped it out and put in Outback Armor coils, 150KG Constant loads. Very happy, initially they only put 1 spacer/diff drop spacer, had drive line vibration on take off i could live with it but they had me bring back to check everything was ok and fitted a 2nd one and now all Sweet!

Comment

• blatchi
        blatchi commented
        Editing a comment
        I think you might have a diff drop and centre bearing spacer mixed up. The spacers you are taking about drop the centre bearing down to stop driveshaft vibrations caused by uni joints running through large angles. The diff drop is when you space your front diff down lower to stop the front CVs running through big angles that causes premature wear/failure
        Last edited by blatchi; 04-11-2017, 04:30 PM.

I have had the efs gear on my last two vehicles, bloody excellent gear!
      I only went the ome as I had all my gear dealer fitted 😕
      Last edited by Pearltuna; 18-10-2017, 01:07 AM.

Comment

Ive done a 40mm EFS constant load lift with, and 10mm coil spacer at front which raised it another 28mm after the winch and bullbar dropped the front end 15mm. So its just over a 2" lift at front but sits perfectly level unloaded. Going to install airbags in rear for load compensation soon. CV angles are fine. I would say any more lift (closer to 3" and you would need diff drop kit). Had to make a swaybar relocation bracket though as it rubbed on the coils. Also needed some 15mm spacers in the tailshaft centre bearing mounts to eliminate the driveline vibration.. It drives nice now! Any more lift any you would defo need adjustable upper control arms for sure though.

Comment

Has anyone done a diff drop? Back of diff sits on top of crossmember and not sure how it would be done. Thinner diff mount fibbers?

Comment

If you are looking at doing it id be hitting up Monster Rides and see if he has developed anything for the new hilux yet. I know for the old hilux he had a proper kit that replaced the brackets holding the front diff as apposed to just adding spacers.
            Honestly i wouldnt be to concerned till you get up around 3 inches of lift thats when your cvs are going to start running through some crazy angles

Comment

I probably won’t go more than 2inches but more curious as how it could be done with rear of diff sitting on top of crossmember.
              but some guys develop some good stuff so this work around will be interesting.

Comment

• Spook1205
                Spook1205 commented
                Editing a comment
                Ah nice bit of gear! Some of the engineering people do is really cool.
                What do we do with a welded crossmember though?
                I can’t find anything on the net. Maybe vehicles are still too new and development takes time.

• Pearltuna
                Pearltuna commented
                Editing a comment
                yeah not too sure there, haven't seen anything yet but I'm sure they will come up with something.
                wonder how long before we start seeing these tunas with 4-6" lifts lol

• Spook1205
                Spook1205 commented
                Editing a comment
                Yeah not sure, although an apprentice from last year was saying they are starting to drop the hilux’s due To cv shafts not coping with the higher lifts.
            Working...
            X