Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Lift Kit would you choose?

Hi guys and girls.
    i am about to get a two inch lift on my 2016 GX. I have a signature alloy tjm bar and some fyrlyts upfront.
    i really want a monotube shock that would take me up the Gibb River and Canning stock rout. Would you guys go the Dobinsons MT or the Bilsteins B6 4600?
    or is there a better option?

I got Dobinson MT with 0 -50 kg springs in the front. I screwed it up 35mm as I know a workshop that have had to lower a few Hilux’s because CV’s didn’t cope long term with a higher lift.
    Rear has Dobinson MT but they couldn’t supply anything but straight up 200 kg springs which was way too hard. So I swapped them out with Ironman performance springs which have a 0 - 50 kg load rating and raised it 50 mm unladen.
    Tail shaft needs a decent spacing out too. You can buy a kit for this but I just used longer high tensile bolts and washers I had left over from swap out of rusted bull bar under warranty.
    Added Polly air bags for towing.
    With the rear being raised more than the front braking performance suffered due to yaw sensor needing resetting. It thinks back is really unladen and the Electronic Brakeforce Distribution programme backs of rear hydraulic pressure as not to lock up rear wheels. It’s a simple reset and mates at Toyota have seen trouble codes due to this.

all up very happy with end result.

Comment

Whatever you do with the rear any spring rate you think you need half it and go air bags

I’ve never ridden in a vehicle so harsh as a tuna over sprung and unloaded it’s very bad
      I went efs 2” and 200 kg in the rear to take the camper and I pulled them out after just 2 weeks, they were so rigid
      now have 100kg and pollyair, still a bit rough unloaded but with all the touring gear it’s great and the hook up the camper and squirt some air in to hold it up level

Comment

Cheers for the feed back and advice guys. Il go the comfort spings up back and 0-50jg up front. What would you choose though? Dobinsons or Bilsteins?

Comment

• Spook1205
          Spook1205 commented
          Editing a comment
          I wanted Fox but no shocks available for rear and front was like $1800 I think. So price killed that dream.

Comes down to price, availability and colour 😂

I went for the EFS 2" kit with 100KG constant load coils, during fitting, the OL store that did it found that the EFS kit didn't bring it up to the full height, so they ripped the EFS coils out and put in Outback Armour ones. very happy with the ride, seems to be a spot on, although i don't have a winch i have the TJM T13 Outback Steel Bar, and i carry a fair bit of gear in the back. The best part was it was a free fitting promotion, so i got the lift done for $1300ish
        Last edited by thehunteroz; 12-01-2018, 08:41 AM.

Comment

thanks guys.
          its a bit more comforting hearing real life experience from other Tuna owners on products before making such a big purchase.
          i think il go the Dobinsons monotube. they are the same as the MRR line just without the remote reservoir.

Comment

• Spook1205
            Spook1205 commented
            Editing a comment
            Good choice mate, they are a decent shock and pretty good price wise.

Spook1205. reading your post though, does that mean i cant go 2" all around?

Comment

You can if you want mate, many people do I just chose not too.

After fitting front struts in vehicle then measuring ride height to then remove and readjust with the effort to compress front springs enough to screw up adjustment the 35mm suited me fine.

Comment

reading that you only put 0-50kg springs in the front with a bullbat does that mean the standard suspension could handle a bullbar? I would have thought there would be to much sag

Comment

I had 5mm of sag with a steel premium bull bar. Compared ride height measurements with another forum member who’s rig was stock.

put a winch on and it would be a different story

Comment

Had 5mm of sag with premium steel Toyota bar.
                  thought it would of been more but another member here helped me out with stock ride height specs

Comment

Hate it when a post comes up with an error so re type info out and then it’s there🙄

Comment

Only TJM n Fox are true 2 inch I believe, everyone else is 40mm. I was fine with that n just had Dobs MRR fitted, it was only a little more so figured why not. Usual tail shaft issue, bought the spacer kit, it’s going back for a tweak Friday to sort vibrations. Sorted ride quality post LT tyres going on. Check autopartsco.com.au n watch for sales. I reckon once vibration is sorted I’ll be happy as

Comment

• Spook1205
                        Spook1205 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        how many mm did the 3 spacers pack it out?
                        Guessing it stopped all vibration in tailshaft

• Al San
                        Al San commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Not sure, I’ll ask when I take it in for alignment check after a few kms. Stopped vibrations completely in my opinion, rides so well now.

• Spook1205
                        Spook1205 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Thanks mate

Hi guys.
                      so i had the Dobinsons 45mm lift today with 100kgs up front and comfortbacks. Used Dobinsons coils also. The idea is to get some bags up back. Same vibration issues and have the spacer kit coming in two weeks.

Comment

• Spook1205
                        Spook1205 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Nice! Got pics?
                        The lift added nearly 4deg of angle on the rear half of my tail shaft. Have played with spacers and only feel some slight vibration on take off. The spacers take off angle at the back uni but it ads it to the front so maybe I’ll never get rid of it completely.
                        Worst case scenario is I’ll have to fit uni joints in it at some stage

TJM signiture alloy bar and FyrLyt lights.

Comment

• Spook1205
                        Spook1205 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Looks mint mate 👍
                        Lifting them certainly gives the fortuner more of a 4wd look!
                    Working...
                    X