Torque Converter Lockup Control Kit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Torque Converter Lockup Control Kit

I was looking at the coolers Wholesale Automatic Transmissions offer as mine will be a tow pony and stumbled across this
    Torque Converter Lockup Control Kit which sounds promising. Once out of 1st this kit gives you the ability to lock the convertor (i.e. no slippage) to reduce frictional losses which should mean more power to the wheels and a cooler transmission. Should improve engine braking too. Any thoughts or experience?
    Attached Files
    Designed to give you manual control over the factory lock-Up torque converter, while still allowing the transmission to change up and down through the gears
    Last edited by Adam Newbury; 11-04-2018, 03:49 PM. Reason: Added a lock up convertor user guide from WAT

With data that people have sent me it’s very obvious it drops out of lock up under any acceleration.
    now question I don’t know the answer too is why the engineers make this happen. Is it an emission aspect or taking load of high overdrive gear sets.
    Reality is if towing you would want to hold it in 4th and out of overdrive cause both 5th and 6th are very tall gears.
    the oil cooler they have is sensational, simple to fit and takes plenty of heat out. Well worth the money for piece of mind.

Comment

• Adam Newbury
      Adam Newbury commented
      Editing a comment
      Not sure of Toyota's motives there Spook, slippage probably works well as it allows the relatively narrow usable rev range of a diesel to be less of an issue?
      Torque convertor slippage provides torque multiplication so if locked through every gear the engine may labour more and need to change down earlier to accelerate well.
      Guessing this would be more like a manual auto with this kit - which I could live with. Might email WAT to get more detail and I'm already convinced on the cooler...finding heaps of good advice in here, really appreciate this resource guys.

have a look at this for thought mate

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBjxWAcxAQ4

Comment

• Spook1205
      Spook1205 commented
      Editing a comment
      A 200 series is a different beast to the 1GD

I did out of interest the other day set the scantool to look at gear change and lock up. It did drop out of lock up under acceleration and dropped back in under cruise.
      Sometimes it would drop out then back in again shortly after with very minimal RPM change, but it seemed like it didn’t know what to do. So after observing this it could be beneficial for sure.
      When towing I notice it dropping out with a decent RPM increase but without the torque that a 200 series has the torque converter will compound what the engine puts out and is needed to keep pulling up hills. This is with it held in 4th, dropping to 3rd is way too many RPM at certain speed.

Would be very interested in driving a fortuner with it in to see difference.

• Adam Newbury
      Adam Newbury commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Borgna this one came straight after - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFCRnfvyzLs and shows Richards Auto Electrical install the lock up kit and complete an engine/transmission reflash.
      News Flash - they also do the 2.8! http://richardsauto.com.au/wp/?p=1692 This seems a more intelligent approach to reducing loss and trans temp than the link I provided earlier, using speed setpoints would be superior to the manual switch that WAT offer. I will Richards Auto Electrical in the not to distant future, interested in the trans / engine reflash combined, you can tell by the response of the owner that this is a great set of mods...while we are only in 4 pots I think it will be a big attitude change for the 4tooner too. Thanks Borgna I would never have found this otherwise.

OMG after watching that video there is no way id let those blokes work on my car. he didnt bother using wire strippers , he stretched the wires , didnt insulate or waterproof after soldering and just taped the harness back together .
    and the ECU mods were worse - no anti static strap worn , he didnt use SMD soldering tools and handled the ECU with his fingers. Scary !!!
    2016 GX , in White

Comment

• Spook1205
      Spook1205 commented
      Editing a comment
      I don’t like any one working on my car except selected trusted individuals who I let help me

has anyone got the richards auto electrical torque converter lock up kit installed? Any feedback?

Comment

Ok so, regarding this topic. I found another company that has a good rep in building a solid kit. People are making claims of fuel efficiencies increasing by 2-3L/100km!

https://midland4wdcentre.com.au/prod...ue-lockup-kit/

They are also on Facebook if anyone else is interested. Look up StockLock

Comment

Originally posted by Monaz View Post
        Ok so, regarding this topic. I found another company that has a good rep in building a solid kit. People are making claims of fuel efficiencies increasing by 2-3L/100km!

https://midland4wdcentre.com.au/prod...ue-lockup-kit/

They are also on Facebook if anyone else is interested. Look up StockLock
        I almost bit the bullet on one of these, but talking to Midland 4wd centre, and a couple of diesel tuners, they all said i should remap the ECU first and then see if i need a lock up kit. I can safely say that after the remap, i can get it to lock in 6th gear a lot easier. Ive even done a 4000km holiday towing a 2 ton trailer and had it locked in 6th, cruising at 110 at around 1500rpm!! My fuel economy has dropped from the mid 12's down to high 10's, if i nanna it i can get down to the high 9's. If you are considering a remap in the future, it might be worth directing the coin to getting it done before the lock up kit

Comment

• Monaz
          Monaz commented
          Editing a comment
          I actually am considering a remap in the future yep, so this is really good to know! Appreciate the response...I do like the fuel economy figures you're getting too.

What actually sparked me into looking into this was the fact I just got back from a trip up to Byron and with only 2 of us in car and not that much camping gear I was averaging 12.6L on the freeway! That is ridiculous, when I get between 8.6 and 9.2 on average through the week commuting to and from work (which is a 150k round trip). My old Hilux running 6 inches of lift, 33's, a tent over the ute bed, fully loaded with camping gear consumed only 12.1!!! I am quite annoyed tbh with the fuel figures on the open road as I bought this with all intentions of making this more a tourer, not a rock crawler, weekend basher like the Lux.

Anyways as Anthony asked, where did you get it tuned??

Cheers

Who did your remap & if you don't mind, what was the cost? Also, is it only 6th gear that is affected or did it impact all of them?

Comment

Working...
        X