Auto Transmission Cold Gear Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Auto Transmission Cold Gear Changes

Does anyone else notice a slow shift from, what feels like 3rd into 4th, when transmission is still cold? It's feels like there is a slip between the gear change and the rev increase is really noticeable. Only does it when it's cold and never once the transmission has had time to warm up.

Mines the same, only seems to do it once per cold start tho. (that I notice anyway)

Comment

Yeah, I'll only notice is once or twice per cold start , as soon as I get out of suburbia it won't happen again. Just saw a thread on newhilux.net that describes the problem with the new Hilux too.

I think it's more of an annoyance than anything else, it sounds like a bad manual driver trying to shift gear.

Comment

Ive got the same...... Gone in a few mins.
        Although I reckon it was ok until the 1000km inspection at Toyota. I only really noticed it after they 'touched' it. Lol.

Comment

I find if you use the manual shifter to force is to up change the slip or mis-shift disappears. I think it has to do with the auto ecu programming.

Could be worse, Toyota Philippines are recalling a batch of auto boxes. See article here http://www.topgear.com.ph/news/indus...8-a36-20160624

Comment

My GXL with 1200km on the clock does it in the low gears when cold also

Comment

Mine does it too I took to Toyota yesterday and they said it was a programming issue so they re flashed the gearbox with a updated programme which they have informed me that they have only just received . They also have told me since doing that the transmission has been reset and to give it 1000ks to learn how I drive once again but after that time they reckon the issue should be completely sorted . I will keep you guys posted

Comment

• Romulous
                Romulous commented
                Editing a comment
                What Toyota service center did you bring it to? I'm getting my 10K service and I want to to remind them of the updated program you speak off.

• BESTIE
                BESTIE commented
                Editing a comment
                Hey mate I take my car to hinterland Toyota they are on the Gold Coast if your dealer needs a reference

• Romulous
                Romulous commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks!! BESTIE

I mentioned it to Ken Mills in Maroochydore yesterday and they said that most of the Tuna's and luxes do it. They haven't received a software update yet but they have a list of customers they will call when it arrives to be re flashed. I'm on the list
              Cheers Dave
              2015 GX Auto

Comment

Same issue with my Crusade auto. Picked it up with 16km on the clock and transmission slips between 2nd and 3rd. Will raise it at 1000kim check up. Apart from that, awesome vehicle sof ar!

Comment

Hey guys mine has same issue when cold. they found oil level low and topped it up. improved heaps but still there. Also have issue with upshifting to 6th at 100ks which i will raise with them soon. Cruising at 100k it stays in 5th gear...no load, flat road.

Comment

jarid 6th is quiet a tall gear, I find the slightest incline and it will remain in 5th and drops down to 5th if using cruise control regularly. However if you push the ECO button, the car will shift to 6th and remain in this gear even with incline. I have had it drop into 6th with ECO mode at 80km/h...Give it a shot!

Comment

Originally posted by jarid View Post
                      Hey guys mine has same issue when cold. they found oil level low and topped it up. improved heaps but still there. Also have issue with upshifting to 6th at 100ks which i will raise with them soon. Cruising at 100k it stays in 5th gear...no load, flat road.
                      MIne does that. I think that it is actually in 6th but the torque converter isn't locked to drop it that extra 400rpm. Even in ECO mode it doesn't like to stay there and won't usually lock unless I take my foot off the throttle for about 3 secs. Yet the stupid thing will lock in at 80 to 90kph but not at 100-120kph
                      Cheers Dave
                      2015 GX Auto

Comment

Hi Bussa, Ive tried all that and as tourboy mentions it will drop into 6th at 80 but struggles at 100. I do a lot of HWY driving siting at 100 and it may never engage 6th.
                        I have spoken to Toyota and they will look at it in a few weeks.

Comment

Hi guys

Had the Fortuner in for the 1000km check and outlined the transmission issue. Brighton Toyota (in Melbourne) refused to acknowledge any fault or reprogram the transmission. They showed me their portal of known issues and campaigns, the transmission one had not made the list (apart form manual transmission with the sticking gears due to lack of oil). Appears not all dealers are aware. Will wait until the next service and hopefully an official service campaign will have circulated to all dealers.

Cheers

Josh

Comment

I've done 7500km and had no drama must be the only one.

Comment

Working...
                            X