Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tranny Cooler for Towing

G'day all,

Anyone aware if the Fortuner has a tranny cooler from stock? If so, anyone considered upgrading it for towing? I seem to recall the Prados had a cooler but it was fairly small so a lot of folk pulling caravans and the like upsize them? We've towed for thousands of km's with our Fortuner and it's been fine - but interested none-the-less.

Cheers.

It only has the standard heat exchanger in radiator.
    I am searching for one as we speak, can not find anything that has been developed for new hilux or Fortuna. Waiting to hear back from PWR performance on recommendation from their product line.
    once I find something suitable I will share it.
    also I will change and flush trans oil plus change transfer case oil.
    maybe a how to thread on gearbox service or checking oil levels might be on the cards if people are interested

Comment

Wholesale automatics recently released a specific cooler kit and bracket for the current hilux and fortuner.

Comment

I wish they did but Wholesale Automatics site says it's under development and an email of two days ago stated they where still trying to get their hands on a car.
        PRW just got back to me with the specs of cooler they recommend and want to know fittings for cooler that's fitted into radiator.
        I will go down the path with PRW and get auto temps as it's running at now under normal driving and towing a caravan and also after fitted.
        When this is done I will list all components and how to fit guide with some auto information on how to service and check fluid level. This may come of use once vehicles are out of warranty for some who wish to do some work themselves.

Comment

I've noticed that the Tranny/floor pan is quite warm in comparison with what i've been used to with my Fords, not hot but definitely warm anyone else noticed this?

Comment

Couldn't say I have but never owned a Ford 😂 True story

Comment

Wholesale auto's used my vehicle for bracket development and testing a couple of months ago, got a valve body upgrade at the same time. Thought they would've had production sorted by now.

Comment

• borgna
                borgna commented
                Editing a comment
                hey mate did you notice a good difference with the valve body upgrade? i looked on their website and claim 1L/100km less fuel usage and smoother shifts while off road. Did you notice these differences? I would have thought the gear changes would be fine off road as i don't tow anyway

Oh cool!
              I can only go by what they said in the email.
              They are trying to get hold of a vehicle for testing, so I perceived that as not much has been done.
              But with you letting them use your car it's much further in development then.
              They gave no time frame on when will be available, hence started looking elsewhere.
              Thanks for the info Eastie👍

Comment

Valve body upgrade: it definitely shifts quicker, stays in gear longer and I get to see the elusive 6th gear tq lockup more than before, even with 265/70 tyres. If you ran standard tyres this mod would see the tq lockup way more on its own. Shifting is dead fast and pretty smooth. I mainly got it for towing as I had one on the previous vehicle and like the results. For fuel savings it's better off on long 2+hr highways runs, but around town there's no improvement. The auto cooler kit is also worth doing if you tow.

Safari Armax ecu: similar to how people say the valve body make the transmission fast and smooth, this does similar to the engine. It's a wired install, replacing the injector driver loom similar to the steinbuer . That's not going to e everyones cup of tea. So all disclaimers aside, what's it like? .... it ****ing goes mate! Again, I went this path manly for towing a mid sized 5m runabout and mid sized 1.5t camper, well within the vehicle's capabilities stock, but a lot more effortlessly with the new ecu. Overtaking uphill from 80kmh to 100+ is a breeze towing without it dropping back to 3rd and revving like crazy. Fuel wise it's hard to say, as my driving is a bit of a mixed bag of towing/bike racks/around town. At worst it adds about 2 litres per hundred km around town if you are heavy on the accelerator. On the highway it's not much more thirsty in tow mode than with it off, about 1-2 litres worse off in comfort mode with noticeably more power and I haven't tried sports mode to see how much more fuel that uses. Technology wise, it's possibly the most advanced ecu mod in its class. As soon as the dpf regen kicks in the ecu shuts off and egt's remain within oe safe limits - that isn't the case with chips that have no interface with the dpf. I've seen dpf temps in the high 700's and engine warning lights with another well advertised chip on this engine, so if you go down this path do your research, ask questions of the makers and make sure they give straight answers about how their product interacts with the DPF regen cycle, EGT's, fuel rail pressure, injector timing and turbo boost.
                Last edited by Eastie; 31-10-2017, 06:53 AM.

Comment

Thanks Eastie, the Armax is something definitely interested in also valve body upgrade sounds interesting.
                  Do you mind sharing what these where worth?
                  cheers, Spook

Comment

I towed my new 2.5 tonne van from Perth to Cervantes (200kms) recently on a 35deg day. According to Torque Pro the converter oil temp got up to 125degs at times while the tranny oil temp got up to 120degs. Would this be considered normal or is it cause for concern? It didn't seem to have any obvious adverse effect on the towing which I was quite happy with. Average fuel consumption was around 17.5L/100kms.

Comment

It’s on the upper range of temperature most people would be comfortable with.
                      short term isn’t an issue, long term may lead to the oil degrading and burnt clutch packs.
                      I meal at McDonald’s won’t hurt you but eat it the whole time you are traveling/ towing around the country and it’s not so good

Comment

Hi Spook1205 when you installed the external transmission cool, did you bypass the cooler in the radiator

Comment

• Spook1205
                          Spook1205 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          No mate it goes to radiator first then out to external cooler.
                          The out pipe on radiator is the one on the drivers side, so go from there to external cooler back to transmission 👍

Also what one do you order off their website? Is it just the hilux 6 speed gearbox one?

Comment

• Spook1205
                          Spook1205 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yep that’s the one!

Just got a Wholesale Auto Transmission cooler fitted. Unit cost was 495, + 40 for freight, + 48.64 GST, $535 all up for the unit, then labour on top. My mechanic (nephew) said they had to install it horizontally, due to the winch being in the way, otherwise they'd had put it in vertically. He thinks it was because its a Toyota bull bar which has a shorter profile compared to, say, an ARB bar...

But he did say the unit is quite good, & the product is well known in 'car building' circles as being a very good product.

Comment

• Spook1205
                          Spook1205 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          One day I would like to fit a winch but never thought the trans cooler would be in the way..
                          Glad you shared that so it’s no surprise when I do.
                          Yeah it’s a great cooler, another price of mind bit of equipment.
                          You certainly have made some sweet purchases lately 👍
                      Working...
                      X