Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre Pressure Monitoring Systems

Does anyone have any experience with TPMS that have displays that fit into the spare switch locations, like this one?

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/151900122707
    2015 GX auto / Genuine steel bull bar, snorkel and tow package / Ultimate suspension / Rhino sliders / BFG KO2s / ORS drawers ...

Haven't used one sorry, but I like the form-factor, very tempting for that price!
    Let us know if you buy one

Comment

I found a manual for this product for what its worth:

http://brashimports.com.au/TPMS-NIS.pdf

It doesn't look like you can change the alarm values (low pressure alarm is 25psi).
      When off-road, I typically lower my tyres to about 20-25psi or so depending on the terrain, even lower for sand.

I guess no cheap tpms is going to be convenient for the regular 4wder as even if you could change the settings, who wants to fiddle with a one-button interface every time they go on/off road?
      Having said that, you can silence the audio alarm with a single button press, and presumably it will still update the shown pressures. So it might not be so bad to live with. You would also install it via its own fuse, so you could always pull the fuse to disable it completely anyway if it was too annoying under some circumstances.

Dave

Comment

Thanks for the link to the manual. Looks like it doesn't have the features I need. Pity - because I love the idea of the display fitting into a spare slot.

I've also been looking at the ARB systems that use a cigi socket mounted display. I think they measure down to 10psi. I think I'll go for an internal sensor kit, so I don't have to worry about removing the sensors when airing down.
        2015 GX auto / Genuine steel bull bar, snorkel and tow package / Ultimate suspension / Rhino sliders / BFG KO2s / ORS drawers ...

Comment

how long do the batteries last in the valve cap sensors? anybody know ?
          2016 GX , in White

Comment

I've had 2 different models of TPMS with valve cap sensors now & the batteries last around 18 months to 2 years before needing replacement.

Comment

I was going to buy one till i measured the dash hole sizes. most sold on Ebay wont fit . Fortuner uses a dash hole of 32.4 x 22mm ( at the face ) . the inner hole is 27mm x 17mm . you also need to check the holes's corner radius as its different to earlier models. most of the earlier Toyotas used something slightly larger at 36x26mm face size.

I might try and find somewhere else to mount it but options are limited due the curtain airbags
              Last edited by White One; 06-12-2016, 04:55 AM. Reason: spelling
              2016 GX , in White

Comment

This one appears to be the right size:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-TPMS-...cAAOSwux5YNxqY

Unfortunately I can't find a manual to download, so I don't know how configurable it is. Could be worth a punt...

For anyone that's used the external sensors, how annoying are they to get on and off when airing down/up on a 4wd trip?

Dave

Comment

that one wont fit the dash hole , its for the earlier toyotas.
                  2016 GX , in White

Comment

Hmm, sure looks right, down to the clips and rear end design.. very much like the foglight switch and dual battery voltage monitor I installed.
                    You are right that the measurements seem off by about 1mm. It doesnt seem to match previous toyotas though, they had 39x21mm..

Maybe the details are wrong?
                    That auction had a review at the bottom from someone who fitted it to a Toyota Prado GLX 2016. These have the same blanks as ours.

Dave

Comment

its quite possible the details are wrong , chinese sellers are slow to respond sometimes . its not the end of the world though you could always mount it somewhere out of the way with double sided tape.
                      2016 GX , in White

Comment

Hi there I have the type mentioned in last comment fits in nicely in spare holder it does only go down to 26 psi I haven't had to lower tyre pressure down below that

Comment

Thanks for letting me know.
                          I ordered one the other day, figured it was worth a shot.
                          If I can't get the alarm pressure low enough for off-road driving, I'm hoping I can still silence the audible alarm and just keep an eye on the pressure readings manually.

Dave

Comment

I fitted this yesterday. It fits well, and seems to work fine (early days). The lowest setting for the low-pressure alarm is 15psi, not bad.
                            The wheel sensors fit nice and tight and do not feel like they would easily loosen. A such I chose not to fit the additional 'security nut' to keep things simple. Its as easy (easier!) to put on and off than a regular valve stem cap.

Comment

Hi Dave,

New member here. I purchased the same item, just wondering how you got the fuse wire to reach the fuse box or did you go to another area I'm not aware of?

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                              X