Stock tyre pressure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stock tyre pressure

Hi everyone, just wondering what pressure everyone is running in the stock tyres? Just gone to check mine because fuel economy seems to be dropping recently and cold they were all 30PSI which seems a bit low to me (I did mean to check the day I got the car home but never got around to it). Running the stock steel rims FYI.

Mine came on 38 when it was delivered. Seemed a bit high so I dropped them down to 34 and the ride improved. Economy didn't change much. Well actually it got better, but I think that's from the engine being run in and getting used to the car more so than tyre pressures.

Comment

I had a similar experience to kzen - ours came at around 280 KPa (40 psi). I didn't care for the ride, esp on unsealed roads so went down to 240 (34 psi)

Comment

So the sticker in the drivers door frame indicates 200kpa (29psi) for cold tire pressure. Seems a bit low to me. Of course the optimum Tyre pressure for tire wear and to make sure the tyres dont get to hot is load dependant.

I've heard the 4 psi rule used before. If the pressure goes up by more than 4 psi when tyres are hot, then the cold pressure was to low. If the pressure goes up by less than 4 psi when hot, then the cold pressure was too high.

It's based on the simple pressure volume temperature rule for an ideal gas - pv=nrt. If the pressure goes up, then so must the temperature, and to much temperature causes Tyre damage.

Hope this is helpful.

Comment

I just rechecked the pressures after driving 45 mins home from the city including highway driving and pressure is at 32PSI, I still think this is too low and it seems to be handling like crap along with decrease in fuel economy. The tyres look like they are a bit flat on the front so I might pump them all up to 38 tomorrow and retest this hot vs cold pressure again.

Comment

I'm running 31-33psi depends on load... Stock tires.

Comment

On delivery tyres were 28psi which was far too low. I keep mine on 40psi. For anything offroad (more than just a short dirt road trip) aI drop them to 30psi , and continue down from there depending on terrain. Note maximum psi stated on the tyre wall for 265/60/18 is 50psi

Comment

Mine came on 30. It's just had its 10k service and came back with 38psi. The tyre states max psi 40. My concern is once driving wouldn't pressure go up passed 40?

Comment

lufkin Max tyre pressure is usually the "cold" pressure.

Just for reference I have all four set to 32 cold. After driving about 45 minutes they are all on 36, so for me (unladen) 32 seems like a pretty good pressure.

Comment

I run mine at 36 psi and that works at treat with stock tyres. It was at 30 psi when I got it from the dealer. Thought it was too low for highway travels. No problems so far.

Comment

25,000 towing a caravan for a half lap and had mine set at 45PSI.
                      Dropped to 28PSI on badly corrugated gravel and sand roads in the Kimberley.
                      Dropped to 20PSI to get me unbogged from deep sand on the road to Wyndham that starts at the Pentecost River.

Comment

Working...
                      X