Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre size option

Hey all
    Just got back from getting my tyres rotated and while I was there I asked about A/T options for the Crusade. I was told that the size - 265/65 r18 was going to be a hard tyre to find, and he advised me that my best bet would be to switch to a 285/60 r18. His logic was that as it's on the Landcruiser, manufacturers will be giving you more options, plus you are more likely to get this size out west.

Just after others opinions on this, and if anyone else out there has already changed over?

Hi RJS

There are plenty of options for the 265/65/18. There are however only a few options if you are wanting a LT (light truck) construction tyre in that size.

Check out the following:

http://www.nittotire.com/

http://monstatyres.com/

http://www.achillesradial.com/

Most of the well known brands also stock this size, and even in LT.

Cheers

Josh

Comment

If you go bigger then 265/65R18, ur spare won't fit under neath. BFG KO2's have that size

Comment

I like his logic 😂 And there is definitely sense in it.
        the only issue is that the standard tyre size works out around 31" where as the 285's work out around 33", it can be done but not stock.

If you want to run 33's you'll need at least 3" lift in the front, bigger offset wheels and be willing to cut and panel beat a bit.

If I was going to buy new wheels to run 33's they wouldn't be 18's, 285/70r17 are available every where which makes them cheaper and obviously there are a heap of tyre brands to chose from.

Theres a few companies that are making 275/65r18 now so that might be an option. It works out at around 32" it might fit stock but if not I'd say 2" lift would perfect. Look at cooper, Mickey Thompson.

Comment

RJS, BFG make KO2 in 265/65/r18. I've the 265/60/r18 KO2s on my GX & got these cause they were the same size as was already on the car when I bought it. If it helps, I got them at Tempe Tyres (outer Sydney suburb) for $405 each. You can go on the Tempe Tyres web site, punch in the tyres sizes you're after. No doubt there's other tyre places around that you can check out the sizes.

Comment

I do a fair bit of off-road travel (more than half vehicle use) and was looking at leaving my standard 17 inch rims and road tyres at home and using replacement 16 inch rims with LT245/75 R16s for off-road work. Rolling circumference should be about the same - would this work/be legal??
            Cheers

Comment

[QUOTE=wildmax;n3659 using replacement 16 inch rims with LT245/75 R16s for off-road work. Rolling circumference should be about the same - would this work/be legal??
              Cheers[/QUOTE]

Your problem will not be legality because I'm very confident you will never fit 16 inch rims over the brake callipers.

Comment

• 4tuna WA
                4tuna WA commented
                Editing a comment
                x2 for that^^ I tried all sorts of steel and alloy 16" wheels different offsets & brands, none would fit over the calipers!

• wildmax
                wildmax commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for that - looks like I'll have to upsize the camper rims instead!!

Hi All
              I'm wondering if anyone can tell me if BFG KO2's in 265/70/17 will fit under the rear as a spare?

I am trying to decide on the KO2's in a stock 265/65/17 size, or wether to increase to a 265/70/17. The main reasons I am considering upsizing are to 1) match the tyres on my camper trailer (which are 265/70/17's) so that all tyres on car and trailer are interchangeable and 2) looks- the 70's look great in my opinion..... I don't need the marginal gain in lift (~1" I think) as I already have an OME suspension upgrade. My main concern with the size upgrade is the loss of power/acceleration and effect on gear changing particular when towing, and decreased fuel efficiency. I have seen some mixed reports on these potential issues from the 70 size increase on the posts here- I guess its a trade off like most things, but welcome any further opinions on this also if you have them? Cheers

Comment

• LongwoodTim
                LongwoodTim commented
                Editing a comment
                Thanks for the feedback SJC, much appreciated. The spare not fitting is a deal breaker and makes the decision easy, for me anyway. Cheers

• gary
                gary commented
                Editing a comment
                just to muddy the waters, I have 265/70r17 BFG KO2 all terrains and have the spare fitted with no problems. With stock suspension I found the front rubbed when reversing at full lock and hitting a bump ie. reversing out of my driveway, removed front plastic mud guards and all was good. Since new suspension with modest 30mm ish lift no rubbing with front mud flaps installed back on vehicle.

• LongwoodTim
                LongwoodTim commented
                Editing a comment
                Ha... thanks gary for making things a little murky... Sounds like with a bit of persuasion they will go in which is good to know. I was pretty sure that with my OME lift the 70's wouldn't rub as the guys at the tyre shop the other day did put another 70 AT on and it was clearing at full lock by an inch or so. My Camper can get up around 2t when fully loaded so maybe Im still better off with the stock tyres given the increased rolling diameter of the larger size. Cheers for the comments.

Hey guys, had a quick read through but I didn't manage to find an answer. From what I understand (maths helping) 265/70R17 are around 0.12 inches taller in standing height than a 275/65R17. Considering my GXL has a bull bar and a 2 inch lift, the clearance won't be an issue at the front (pretty sure..) what I am wondering is whether or not a 275/65R17 will fit into the wheel arch without any problems? I do a little bit of off-roading and can imagine a full flex scenario will be on the cards some day or another.

Cheers guys,
              Matt

Comment

I'm running 285/60/18 A/T's on the standard Crusade rims with a 2 inch lift. I have zero rubbing or issues with fitment or fulllock. The tire is also only around a 3% overall increase so there was no change in performance nor economy. They look good too because it creates a bit of a dished look and fills out the guards nicely.

Cheers

Comment

• Zaagie
                  Zaagie commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hi Monaz does the spare still fit under the car?

• Monaz
                  Monaz commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yes mate it does, plenty of room...

gary Can you clarify how much the 265/70r17 rubbed on the front mud flaps and whether it was on the outside or inside? Instead of removal, can we get by with a little bit of modification to the flap itself? I'm considering getting either this size or 245/75r17, as both are the same size. I'd like to go as narrow as possible while keeping as tall a sidewall as we can fit without fouling anything. I'm thinking with the narrower tire, it may clear the edge of the flap and no modification would be needed.

Comment

Hi all

Is anyone running BF Goodrich 265/65/18 all terrains on their Tuner? Is there a noticeable power drop/fuel economy drop due to the slightly bigger tyres?

Comment

Is anyone running BF Goodrich 265/65/18 all terrains on their Tuner? Is there a noticeable power drop/fuel economy drop due to the slightly bigger tyres?

Comment

• Spook1205
                      Spook1205 commented
                      Editing a comment
                      the biggest issue you may find depending on driving conditions is it will be harder to hold in 6th gear (auto).
                  Working...
                  X