Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tyre upgrade - enough clearance for 265/70/r17s??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre upgrade - enough clearance for 265/70/r17s??

HI all, I have a big trip planned for July and will need to upgrade to a LT construction beforehand. The review in this month's 4x4 says there is not enough arch clearance for even a minimal upgrade such as the kind I was thinking of here: https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc...5r17-265-70r17. Anyone else done some research on this? For 20 years I've been running standard 235/85/r16 (the old 7.50/r16) on a variety of vehicles and would love to get a bit more sidewall height if I can. cheers Geoff.

Hi gbrought,

Take a look here: (I hope you are handy with a dremel)

http://www.fortunerforum.com.au/foru...the-first-week

Hope that helps?
    Fortuner Forum Default Signature!

Comment

G'day gbrought, I'm running the BFG KO2's in the 265/70/17. The do fit, but you might get a little rub against the front mud flaps if you're on full lock and there is suspension flex, you can either live with it, shape out a small portion on the mud flap for the extra clearance or get a suspension lift.

I highly recommend the KO2's. I've been spending a fair bit of time in the Victorian high country over summer and these tyres have been amazing. On the highway I've found them no more noisy than the standard A/T's that were fitted. (My GXL was fitted with Yokohama's, but i know some came with Dunlop Grandtreks, and some with Bridgestone D694)

Comment

• dandin
        dandin commented
        Editing a comment
        Interesting comments about the different tyres being released from factory. Perhaps we should start a poll to see which tyres came with which model? My GX came with Bridgestones

Hi Shaun and SJC, thanks ... I missed this in the earlier post before I joined. Ta. Thanks also for the recommendation on the KO2's. The last decade I've had Muddies and then the KM2s and love them for the first 50% of their life and then spend the last 50% regretting them as they get noisier and noisier. On an old Landrover County 110 I had the original BFG All Terrains which were a very good tyre ... although I did slice a sidewall in one which I never managed on the Muddies. Mmmm. Not sure about using the dremel on the mud flap. I have an arrangement of sorts with SWMBO that buying a new car ≠ no *home modifications*. We'll see.

Comment

I tried a Mickey Thomson ATZ 265/70/17 on for size yesterday after a 40mm suspension lift and it didn't fit real well. Caught the front mudflap and surprisingly it fouled on the front upper control arm at a certain point in steering travel. Ditched the idea of a 70 series tyre and went with BFG KO2 265/65/17.
        Have read about plenty of Fortuners having the 265/70/17 tyres fitted and no apparent suspension component fouling ????
        Last edited by wiggy; 28-09-2016, 06:55 AM.

Comment

Thought I would chuck my 2 cents worth in reference tyre size and more importantly plus sizing.

On the weekend I done a test fit of ko2's 265/70/17, Firstly they look great, fill the guards out well and make it look very aggressive. I fitted them with CSA raptor 25 offset rims, only a slight rub on the front with standard suspension. The massive negative I thought was a distinct reduction in acceleration, I have always thought that the tuner has a nice little bit of poke low down but with the bigger wheels it had lost its urgency.

For me it was a deal breaker, I went with the ko2's but 265/65/17. There is lots of information out there about the effect that larger wheels will have on performance and fuel economy both for and against, I am just sharing my experience to hopefully provide some food for thought before dropping your hard earned money on some new rubber.

Comment

I've the 18" Toyota alloys with 265/60/r18 KO2s on my GX, with a 40mm OME lift. No probs with tyre rub.

Comment

265/60/18 is the standard size 18" tyre for the Fortuner, I have seen that people have upgraded to 265/65/18 with minimal rubbing issues. Would still be interested to hear about any issues effecting performance / fuel economy once a plus size tyre fitted.

Comment

Originally posted by Meercat View Post
                265/60/18 is the standard size 18" tyre for the Fortuner, I have seen that people have upgraded to 265/65/18 with minimal rubbing issues. Would still be interested to hear about any issues effecting performance / fuel economy once a plus size tyre fitted.
                Tyre profiles are a percentage of tyre width.
                So a 65 Vs a 60 is 5% higher profile.
                5% of 265 is a radius increase of 13.25mm.
                This means you now have 31inch tyre instead of a 30 inch tyre (13.25 x 2 = 26.5mm) for the standard OEM Dunlop 265/60R18 it came with.
                C=2TTR
                30 inch tyre is Circumference of 1197mm
                31 inch tyre is Circumference of 1237mm
                1237/1197 = a measly 3.3% increase in circumference.
                Hardly likely to sap away your power or to wildly alter your fuel economy or speedo accuracy and unlikely to alter what might rub down under as your suspension will bottom out well before clearances become an issue.

Comment

Originally posted by Hylife View Post

Tyre profiles are a percentage of tyre width.
                  So a 65 Vs a 60 is 5% higher profile.
                  5% of 265 is a radius increase of 13.25mm.
                  This means you now have 31inch tyre instead of a 30 inch tyre (13.25 x 2 = 26.5mm) for the standard OEM Dunlop 265/60R18 it came with.
                  C=2TTR
                  30 inch tyre is Circumference of 1197mm
                  31 inch tyre is Circumference of 1237mm
                  1237/1197 = a measly 3.3% increase in circumference.
                  Hardly likely to sap away your power or to wildly alter your fuel economy or speedo accuracy and unlikely to alter what might rub down under as your suspension will bottom out well before clearances become an issue.
                  Not sure that's completely correct Hylife.
                  I may very well be wrong tho.

60% of tyre width = sidewall height, multiply that by 2+ rim diameter = tyre diameter.

265/60/18 =(0.6x0.265x2=0.318mm)
                  +(18x0.254=0.4572mm)=0.7752mm.
                  Diameter x pi =circumference.
                  0.7752mmx 3.14159..... =2435mm.

265/65/18 =(0.65x0.265x2=0.3445)
                  +(18x0.254=0.4572)=0.8017
                  0.8017mmx pi =2519mm.

Which = very similar to your calculation.
                  A 3.45% increase.
                  So basically double your numbers but the percentage remains the same & yes I agree Hylife that you wouldn't think that would change performance a great deal.

(footnote : had a couple of beers & am bored, hence all the maths (which is probably incorrect anyway))

Comment

Ok this is an OLD thread but wondering if anyone has any first hand experience with this size tyre. I am due for new Tyres and would like to go up to 265/70-17 to increase my tyre choices ie. more aggressive tyres and also help correct the speedo inaccuracy. Do they rub significantly? My 2010 hilux is running 265/75-16s and though they rub a little in 4x4 on lock and while flexing they haven't bothered me much in the 200,000km I have had it. Will these be similar? If so I can live with the trade off.

Comment

Working...
                    X