Crusade Tyre Change

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crusade Tyre Change

So the Crusade comes with 265/60R18.... Road Tyres.

Since i'm going to need an All-Terrains am i best to stay with the 18 inch rims and get something like the BF Goodrich T/A KO2 ?

OR

Should I look into getting 17 inch rims and get more rubber?

I have already decided that I'm getting the Outback accessories wheel carrier so not worried about the spare fitting.

Your views are appreciated

Just thinking about the tyres themselves, I can say that I'm very happy with the BFG A/T KO2s.

Very good grip off road, and surprisingly quiet on.

I opted for the standard size for my GX (LT265/65R17) - but I know there are other size options for you to consider.
    Last edited by mrh460; 03-05-2017, 05:20 AM.
    2015 GX auto / Genuine steel bull bar, snorkel and tow package / Ultimate suspension / Rhino sliders / BFG KO2s / ORS drawers ...

Comment

My demo GX came up-specced from the dealer with 18" alloys & I stuck with them, putting 265/60/R18 KO2s All-Terrains on it. Very happy with the KO2s. Got 5 tyres @ $405 each. I only ever go to the one tyre dealer so I don't know if that's a good deal or not...

Comment

• young_dazza
        young_dazza commented
        Editing a comment
        My local tyre store sells them for $365 each (fitted)

I suppose it depends if you need the extra sidewall height? Are you doing serious rock hoping or constant sand driving where you are lowering your pressures? If not, I'd still with the 18inch rims and same tyre size.

I was looking at changing to the 17s, however haven't come across any terrain where I frequently go where the 18s have struggled off road. For my purposes, 18s will stay!

Comment

Cool thanks guys

Comment

Hi,
          I really like the Bridgestone D697 AT's in an Light Truck (TL) construction for a quality alternative AT tyre.
          I had them for 3yrs on my last 4wd, and just recently got some for my GX after slashing one of the OEM tyres (Bridgestone D693) in the bush.

They are good value at around $250 ea (265/65/R17 for my GX) compared to $350 or so for the BFG's.

Dave

Comment

• 4Tuner
            4Tuner commented
            Editing a comment
            D697LT 265/65/17 on special at the moment (bob jane) $249
            Last edited by 4Tuner; 27-06-2017, 04:52 PM.

• Mantisoffroad
            Mantisoffroad commented
            Editing a comment
            Did you notice any difference with the steering after fitting your 697’s. I have just fitted them to my gxl and the steering wheel now doesn’t seem to return 100% (stays at 5-10 degrees). Was fine with factory tyres and before wheel alignment. Wheel alignment has been checked again as well.

• DaveC
            DaveC commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn't notice anything different in the steering.

Going up one size on the Crusade 18 inch rims would be ok in my opinion (to 265/65/R18). My understanding is that this is legal (at least in QLD - about 1 inch total increase in diameter) and would then be close to about 31" total diameter wheels.

This would make about 3 km/h difference to speed reading at 100km/h (most likely 3 km/h closer to accurate knowing toyota).

I also like the Bridestone Dueller D 697, not sure if they come in 265/65/R18.

This would give about a 12 mm lift as well.

Just my thoughts - can anyone see any disadvantage to going this size with the 18" rims? Might also make it ride a bit better with a little extra rubber.

Rich.

Comment

Thanks Rich, i'm thinking that's what i'll do. Keep the stock 18 inch rims and get the 265/65/R18. Once i get the lift down at TJM

Comment

Cooper St Max come in 265/65R18 and cheaper then BGF's, so I have heard

Comment

• shamu
                shamu commented
                Editing a comment
                I have the Cooper STT Maxx in 265/70R17 - fits really well- how the spare is really tight under the car.

I picked up a set of Hankook ATM RF10's in 265/65/R18 for $1100 fitted for 5 on my Crusade. Great tyre, quiet and has load rating of 114. Goes well off road. About to set off on a 4000 KM trip, so will check in after.

Comment

• KOBYS
                KOBYS commented
                Editing a comment
                RJS Whats the clearance like? or did you get a lift done?

I note on the Hilux Forum, some people have said that their 265/65R18 tyres (with standard suspension) rub when at full lock on the mudflap or inner wheel arch guard.

Has anyone that has upsized to 265/65 R18 on a Crusade with standard suspension noticed them rubbing - and does the spare still fit under the car ok?

Rich.

Comment

Has anyone noticed any steering changes when upgrading tyres? I have just fitted Bridgestone 697s to my gxl and the steering wheel now doesn’t seem to return 100% (stays at 5-10 degrees). Was fine with factory tyres and before wheel alignment. Wheel alignment has been checked again as well.

Comment

• Spook1205
                  Spook1205 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  If steering wheel isn’t centred as you drive straight down a road it needs adjusting on the tie rod ends to pull it centre.

Nah it doesn’t centre from turning left or right. The wheel sits true when going straight. The steering wheel just doesn’t fully unwind to centre after turning.

Comment

• Spook1205
                  Spook1205 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Caster is a directional stability angle and it keeps vehicle centered.
                  Massive toe out will cause it to not return after going through a roundabout but that’s not your problem.

Have you had it lifted? Because you will lose your caster if so.
                  Not heard of tyres causing that but many things are left field diagnostics in the auto industry

• Mantisoffroad
                  Mantisoffroad commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Just standard suspension. Just tyre change and alignment is all I have done.

Mate stick with 18 inch rim and original size. I placed pirelli scorpion atr, totally changed the ride. Handles and looks great not noisey. I’ve tried Coopers ST and ST3 worst tyres ever. Once you up the tyre size from 60 to 65 throws yours speedo out.

Comment

Working...
                X