Tyre swap to 245/70/17

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tyre swap to 245/70/17

Losing my mind trying to decide on tyres without getting a lift and getting some more traction. One option suggested that I'd not considered is to go from 265/65/17 to 245/70/17. Has anyone done this? If so, what was road handling like or any other difference, positive or negative? Cheers

You're not gaining anything by going to the 245's. They will have the same diameter as 265's but will be skinnier so will be worse if anything due to a reduced footprint. Only time it may be an advantage is in mud because the thinner tyres will cut through the mud down to firm ground easier.

Comment

Bigger wheels is the way to go mate. if you want a lift. getting the normal lift just raise the body height and gives better ramp over clearance. For a proper lift you need more clearance under the diff at the rear and the sump in the front. The only way way you will get this is by using a larger diameter tyre. Couple of things to consider with alarger diameter tyre. First speedo error. The larger tyre means you will b driving faster than the speedo indicates. This can be fixed by alteringthe speedo calibration. The dealer can do this to a certain extent. Ask them what size tyres they can give speedo correction for first..then bigger wheels alter the gearing of the car moving the gears up a bit as the wheel travels further each turn due to the larger circumference. A small increase in diameter won't be too bad, but you will use more fuel due to extra load on the engine. If you want a big lift from a real big tyre you will need to alter the diff ratios front and rear to compensate for the increased gearing. Gets expensive here. I suggest you have a good talk to someone at 4wd shop and ,make up you mind how you want to approach this mate.
      All the best with it.
      Cheers.

Comment

What kind of surface are you looking for extra traction in?

Comment

Thanks for the input, I carried on searching advice with locals, both professionals and social groups, stuck with the 265/65/17 and got the Toyo AT2, was really chasing a deeper profile only not keen to lose any power from bigger tyres. Decided against changing size and am happy with performance offroad so far. we're a bit limited in our vehicle with suspension component packaging and wheel arch size as to what can be done lift/tyres etc. Will see where the aftermarket and I am at when it comes time to change these new hoops.

Comment

has anyone tried to fit 275/65/17s? The new Mickey Thomson All Terrain 38s come in that size in passenger construction which look like a good option for my high kms on the blacktop (I have a 2nd set of rims with BFG KM2 sized 265/70/17s for offroad trips).

Comment

Working...
            X