265/65 17 VS 265/60 18 Off-road .

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 265/65 17 VS 265/60 18 Off-road .

Taking delivery of our GXL Fortuna late Feb and will be fitting K02's A/T's to it before pick up
    I have the option to Pick up a set of 18" SR5 rims (which look the same as the Crusade rim unsure of offset??)
    Is there any notable differences in the Bush / Beach between the 265/65 17 Vs the 265/60 18 I realise that i'll have slightly less sidewall at the same time doubt I'll be doing any extreme 4WD initially if the bug bites I'll look at a 2 " lift and bigger Tyres eventually ...
    any advise would be appreciated
    cheers
    Lindsay

I have LT265/65/17 KO2s on my GX. I have a 40mm lift, but I have no desire to run larger tyres.
    For me, the small loss in gearing associated with larger tyres would be a big negative.

In regards to your question, I think that sidewall height is very important, so I would prefer the 17” wheels.

Others are sure to disagree, but that’s the beauty of the forum. 😬
    Last edited by mrh460; 28-01-2018, 12:27 PM.
    2015 GX auto / Genuine steel bull bar, snorkel and tow package / Ultimate suspension / Rhino sliders / BFG KO2s / ORS drawers ...

Comment

• Lindsay
      Lindsay commented
      Editing a comment
      Out of curiosity what suspension upgrade did you go with ?

• Spook1205
      Spook1205 commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely agree the gearing issue on larger rolling diameter tyres, people already complain about holding 6th gear in the auto and this will only compound the issue.
      As for low profile on sand you most likely will have to drop your tyre pressure a bit more down to the 12 -15 psi mark. Not experienced enough in the bush side of things to comment.
      I’ll stick with the 17 inch black steel rims mainly because I wanted it to look black / white old school Toyota that was everywhere when I was a wee apprentice mechanic back in the mid 80’s. Where we serviced Toyota and repaired everything else 😂

• mrh460
      mrh460 commented
      Editing a comment
      I had The Ultimate Suspension do my lift, and I’m very happy with it. Details here -

https://www.fortunerforum.com.au/for...ate-suspension

You can see the suspension getting a good workout in this video at 2:50 and 6:50 -

https://youtu.be/KeWAqMtWg8s
    2015 GX auto / Genuine steel bull bar, snorkel and tow package / Ultimate suspension / Rhino sliders / BFG KO2s / ORS drawers ...

Comment

Looks like it does a great job and well priced too !

Comment

Hi Lindsay

I've got the 265/60 18 rims and frequently air down for some pretty tough tracks, and have done some beach driving in SA. Whilst I cannot compare to the 17's, I haven't had any issues with the 18inch rims running on 8PSI on soft sand, and around 18PSI off the beaten track. Nice and slow and you shouldn't have any issues by the sounds of the terrain you will be traveling over.

Cheers

Comment

• RJS
          RJS commented
          Editing a comment
          +1 No issues running 18's down at 12 -14, but usually am at 16-20 Psi for Sand as my tyres bag enough (Hankook ATM RF10s). Check out Big Sandy, Byfield N.P, QLD. Fortuner ate it up.

I have a crusade and went down to 17 inch rims to get more rubber and side wall.

I have also gone up one tyre size from stock. have not noticed much difference on road but big difference off road with bigger tyres. Love it.

When I was buying, 18 inch AT tyres were considerably more expensive than 17 inch so another thing to factor in. May have changed but.

Different setups work for different people however.
        Crusade, Summit Bar, Dobinsons Monotube, BFG AT.

Comment

Originally posted by 4Tuner View Post
          I have a crusade and went down to 17 inch rims to get more rubber and side wall.

I have also gone up one tyre size from stock. have not noticed much difference on road but big difference off road with bigger tyres. Love it.

When I was buying, 18 inch AT tyres were considerably more expensive than 17 inch so another thing to factor in. May have changed but.

Different setups work for different people however.
          Thanks for your reply , Frasers looks like fun !
          Is your vehicle lifted also ?

Comment

yes lifted - couldn't fit the larger tyres otherwise.

would still prefer 17inch with stock size AT tyres than 18inch also stock size but understand some people prefer the look of the 18 rims... depends what you are using it for
            Crusade, Summit Bar, Dobinsons Monotube, BFG AT.

Comment

Thread bump.

I have a gx with 18 inch crusade wheels. Tyres are Goodyear Wrangler AT with the Kevlar side wall.
              Whats everyone's opinion on taking these to Cape York? I'm only doing the development road.
              I'm worried I don't have enough side wall rubber to handle the corrugations.
              thanks in advance.

Comment

Working...
              X